What do dedicated servers mean for Halo?

I know that, to some people, this will seem like a dumb question. However, I’ll ask on behalf of those, like myself, who are unfamiliar with the term… What do dedicated servers mean for Halo? By this, I just mean, how do they differ from the current setup, and what will this fix in terms of connection/hosting issues?

It means no more ‘host’ all will have a fairer connection. It’s what we should of had since the Xbox 360 came out, but we didn’t. It’s more common in PC Games … In otherwords its GREATTT :smiley:

No Black Screens, or much Lag, and people from the other side of the world could play with you and not have much Lag. More importantly, NO BLACK SCREEN REJOICE

I’m pretty sure it confirms JiP and will cause a little less lag.

Dedicated servers get rid of host advantage, black screens from host migrations, and the game lagging because the host is choking on having to connect to seven other XBoxes.

You’re still going to get lag, but that on you and your connection. You’re still going to get “Host advantage” but it’s not longer based on the host but rather on who has physical proximity to the dedicated server.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that we’ll probably have scheduled down time for weekly maintenance. It also means that we’re more likely to have unscheduled down periods from things like power outages and whatnot.

Right now when the host has a problem, it results in your game transferring host or dropping all together.

With dedicated servers, if the host server goes down it means that you’re out of luck because that means that matchmaking itself will effectively be down.

> <mark>One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that we’ll probably have scheduled down time for weekly maintenance. It also means that we’re more likely to have unscheduled down periods from things like power outages and whatnot.</mark>
>
> Right now when the host has a problem, it results in your game transferring host or dropping all together.
>
> With dedicated servers, if the host server goes down it means that you’re out of luck because that means that matchmaking itself will effectively be down.

That could actually be prevented if they have P2P as a back up system for server maintenance etc.

Anyway Dedicated Servers will also be able to handle even more data transfer in a match, so this time they could add a Spectator mode if they want to.
Another thing we can get with Dedicated Servers is a increase of players in a match such as 32v32.

Very little lag, no black screens, and much more! I’m elated that this is in Halo Xbox One. :smiley:

no lag

> no lag

Not true you still have to ping to the server dedicated servers just eliminate host advantage its impossible to eliminate lag because the data still has to travel distance before its received.

> > <mark>One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that we’ll probably have scheduled down time for weekly maintenance. It also means that we’re more likely to have unscheduled down periods from things like power outages and whatnot.</mark>
> >
> > Right now when the host has a problem, it results in your game transferring host or dropping all together.
> >
> > With dedicated servers, if the host server goes down it means that you’re out of luck because that means that matchmaking itself will effectively be down.
>
> That could actually be prevented if they have P2P as a back up system for server maintenance etc.
>
> Anyway Dedicated Servers will also be able to handle even more data transfer in a match, so this time they could add a Spectator mode if they want to.
> Another thing we can get with Dedicated Servers is a increase of players in a match such as 32v32.

Hmm… Don’t think I like the addition of a Spectator mode…

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Spectator Mode just using a flying Camera during a match instead of contributing to the game? Because if that’s what is is, then I will very strongly oppose Spectator Mode in every way, shape, and form.

Hopefully we’ll also get Custom Game Browsing as an alternative for Matchmaking with those Dedicated Servers. That would give me a great opportunity to test my Forge Maps instead of having to drag all of my friends back into Halo.

> One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that we’ll probably have scheduled down time for weekly maintenance. It also means that we’re more likely to have unscheduled down periods from things like power outages and whatnot.
>
> Right now when the host has a problem, it results in your game transferring host or dropping all together.
>
> With dedicated servers, if the host server goes down it means that you’re out of luck because that means that matchmaking itself will effectively be down.

I think you live in the past mate. Nowadays, dedicated servers are the holy glory of gaming. For example, BF3 uses dedicated servers. I’m playing since launch and there was a maximum of 5 or 6 server shut downs, and those are not lasted for max an hour. We’re always informed about server maintenances and I can count in one hand how many were.

> One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that we’ll probably have scheduled down time for weekly maintenance. It also means that we’re more likely to have unscheduled down periods from things like power outages and whatnot.
>
>

Well considering how many servers MS is setting up, i dont think maintenance is going to be an issue. Just take them down in sets, so that there is always the majority running.

> > > <mark>One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that we’ll probably have scheduled down time for weekly maintenance. It also means that we’re more likely to have unscheduled down periods from things like power outages and whatnot.</mark>
> > >
> > > Right now when the host has a problem, it results in your game transferring host or dropping all together.
> > >
> > > With dedicated servers, if the host server goes down it means that you’re out of luck because that means that matchmaking itself will effectively be down.
> >
> > That could actually be prevented if they have P2P as a back up system for server maintenance etc.
> >
> > Anyway Dedicated Servers will also be able to handle even more data transfer in a match, so this time they could add a Spectator mode if they want to.
> > Another thing we can get with Dedicated Servers is a increase of players in a match such as 32v32.
>
> Hmm… Don’t think I like the addition of a Spectator mode…
>
> Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Spectator Mode just using a flying Camera during a match instead of contributing to the game? Because if that’s what is is, then I will very strongly oppose Spectator Mode in every way, shape, and form.
>
> Hopefully we’ll also get Custom Game Browsing as an alternative for Matchmaking with those Dedicated Servers. That would give me a great opportunity to test my Forge Maps instead of having to drag all of my friends back into Halo.

Spectator mode just means people can look into live games, they do not take player slots, this is for competitive gaming, things like MLG. For the competitive scene it allows people to commentate on what each team is doing like a sports announcer. Also one way,in the @home use,is learning how to get better could just be as simple as watching someone else play, analyzing their moves. With how I see it these days, pro gamers are usually featured ontop of the more common rabble which is good unless you like watching people who suck.

Spectator is more practical than a custom game browser, and since the person launches a very specific setup, we sure the severs for the whole game or just their MM servers, probably just MM. So custom is unlikely to get dedicated servers Unless, they do something like bf3 and you can rent a server for it’s uses but in that logic a browser could make sense… if its only used for custom games where users are renting a dedicated server, sounds possible that way however I am not a networking expert or a game dev so I wouldn’t know how this works from the technical side.

Also, with additions like spectator mode would mean that halo 5 is going a more competitive route, this being evident in how many gaming events/championships 343 has been throwing lately and playlist updates.

This franchise needs to stop being casual and go back to the competitive nature it originated, you can play competitive games casually, not the other way around.

Top things you’ll notice different in game.

1. HOST strafe, while the rest have almost nothing.
  2. Host Long Range Shots, always hit
  3. A lot less, getting hit around corners. Dedicated servers should also drop pings to 50-80 instead of having the Xboxes host and the average is around 80-130.
  4. No more modded games, the HOST has the game types, etc.
  5. No more bad host selection, only poor connections to the lost. Instead of having 3-6 players effected by a players connection, only he/she will be effected.

> > One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that we’ll probably have scheduled down time for weekly maintenance. It also means that we’re more likely to have unscheduled down periods from things like power outages and whatnot.
> >
> > Right now when the host has a problem, it results in your game transferring host or dropping all together.
> >
> > With dedicated servers, if the host server goes down it means that you’re out of luck because that means that matchmaking itself will effectively be down.
>
> Well considering how many servers MS is setting up, i dont think maintenance is going to be an issue. Just take them down in sets, so that there is always the majority running.

Agreed, MS isn’t a new business, they understand the needs of redundancies. Can you imagine what would happen if the X1 had all their servers crash for a few days? I’d expect they have a few backups to their backups. The cool thing about servers is you can have dozens of shelves/blades that take up almost no space.

> > > One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that we’ll probably have scheduled down time for weekly maintenance. It also means that we’re more likely to have unscheduled down periods from things like power outages and whatnot.
> > >
> > > Right now when the host has a problem, it results in your game transferring host or dropping all together.
> > >
> > > With dedicated servers, if the host server goes down it means that you’re out of luck because that means that matchmaking itself will effectively be down.
> >
> > Well considering how many servers MS is setting up, i dont think maintenance is going to be an issue. Just take them down in sets, so that there is always the majority running.
>
> Agreed, MS isn’t a new business, they understand the needs of redundancies. Can you imagine what would happen if the X1 had all their servers crash for a few days? I’d expect they have a few backups to their backups. The cool thing about servers is you can have dozens of shelves/blades that take up almost no space.

Blizzard has these issues with World of Warcraft, including weekly maintenance where every single week the servers are down for anywhere from six to twelve hours.

That doesn’t mean it has to be that way, but it isn’t a concern you can dismiss just because Xbox live is a large service seeing as that WoW is the largest server hosted video game system in the world.

Less lag, more consistency, and a better experience for all.

At least, that’s the theory as long as they work.

> Blizzard has these issues with World of Warcraft, including weekly maintenance where every single week the servers are down for anywhere from six to twelve hours.
>
> That doesn’t mean it has to be that way, but it isn’t a concern you can dismiss just because Xbox live is a large service seeing as that WoW is the largest server hosted video game system in the world.

WoW has more people playing than at anyone time the X1 will have total players. WoW on a daily basis has more then 2 Millions gamer sign on, with peak hours surpassing 6M still. They have over 10 Millions members

When you take into account the volume of players, you’ll see massive servers trying to support their maximum which I am guessing is around 100K to 150K per server. They have to have server farms to support their needs and just a few servers being down can effect a million gamers.

They also have to through an updating phase with their equipment. MS is starting in 2014 equipment so they won’t need UPGRADING days, they’ll just need maintenance days.

I see down time yes, but I still see it being more of scheduled event more often then not and 3-4 times a year. The games that aren’t in the top 10 for the X1 I see getting the shaft over their top 3 when it comes to servers.

Yeah, I’m not sure how maintenance will go. On WoW every Tuesday it goes down for everyone.

The difference is that in WoW you assign your player to a named server and stay there forever. Unless you pay to move. But I assume on this game you would be assigned to random different servers each game.