What defines Casual, Competitive, and Veteran

I’ve been hearing these words thrown around a lot lately, and I think I’m losing a sense of what is Casual, Competitive, and Veteran when it comes to Halo 4. So as a community what do you guys think defines these features in the game.

Casual- plays the game from time to time, would most likely be found in Flood, Action Sack, Infinity Slayer, Regecide usually with a party chat.

Competitive- Found in Team Throwdown, SWAT, Team Snipers, Big Team Slayer, Capture the Flag, Lone Wolves, usually would communicate with the team.

Veteran- plays every Halo both casually and competitively, would be found on Infinity Slayer, Big Team Infinity, and CTF. FFA, Mostly alone sometimes varies with a party team.

It seems all definitions of what defines this game population varies would anyone like to discuss or clarify their opinion on it?

Everyone plays and behaves differently, accurately grouping players into 3 different categories isn’t possible.

That may be true but why is there always such a big debate on these forums, especially against Casual and Competitives they just never seem to get along on these forums

> I’ve been hearing these words thrown around a lot lately, and I think I’m losing a sense of what is Casual, Competitive, and Veteran when it comes to Halo 4. So as a community what do you guys think defines these features in the game.
>
> Casual- plays the game from time to time, would most likely be found in Flood, Action Sack, <mark><mark>Infinity Slayer</mark></mark>, usually with a party chat.
>
> Competitive- Found in Team Throwdown, SWAT, Team Snipers, Big Team Slayer, Capture the Flag, usually would communicate with the team.
>
> <mark>Veteran- plays every Halo both casually and competitively, would be found on Infinity Slayer, Big Team Infinity, and CTF. Mostly alone sometimes varies with a party team.</mark>
>
> It seems all definitions of what defines this game population varies would anyone like to discuss or clarify their opinion on it?

OMG…I actually fit the Veteran definition. LMAO! Who would have thought that! I do play every Halo…check my XBox profile and games I own. I am currently switching between Halo 3, Halo Reach and Halo 4 so, competitive playing as those lists I frequent, as well as Halo 3 Lone Wolfs.

Has to rethink where I fit in.

> That may be true but why is there always such a big debate on these forums, especially against Casual and Competitives they just never seem to get along on these forums

When people give each other names it’s easier for them to say, “Oh, we’re different from them, they’re not like us”. In reality they don’t all agree with each other in their own groups, people will fight over just about anything they can think of.

The thing is about giving each other a title is, that we in some way or form we’ve all been through the fire with this series, meaning we all have a preferred preference. Sure I may have not been a level 50 in Halo 2 or 3. But I was damn near proud of my 28 rank in Halo 2 and my 46 in Halo 3.

I play to mess with people and have fun when I’m a random, and play competitively with a coordinated team. But college and taking care of my dad have kept me from playing for a good while now though.

So what would you consider yourself now that you have responsibilities Casual?

> I’ve been hearing these words thrown around a lot lately, and I think I’m losing a sense of what is Casual, Competitive, and Veteran when it comes to Halo 4. So as a community what do you guys think defines these features in the game.
>
> Casual- plays the game from time to time, would most likely be found in Flood, Action Sack, Infinity Slayer, usually with a party chat.
>
> Competitive- Found in Team Throwdown, SWAT, Team Snipers, Big Team Slayer, Capture the Flag, usually would communicate with the team.
>
> Veteran- plays every Halo both casually and competitively, would be found on Infinity Slayer, Big Team Infinity, and CTF. Mostly alone sometimes varies with a party team.
>
> It seems all definitions of what defines this game population varies would anyone like to discuss or clarify their opinion on it?

Actually, i cant understand keeping these words separate. Casual determines the frequency of play. This usually is connected with one’s skill level.

Competitive is what comes from the heart. Trying your hardest to put victory in your favor…and heavily doing so at that. People recognize competitive as less of a skill-determining factor than Casual does, but it’s still there.

Veteran players are just long-standing players since the CE and H2 days. Basically pre-360. It’s a given length of time (as well as “service”) to the series.

Because of this, I feel these 3 “classes” can actually be mixed. No one is just a single one of these. Ill explain them below.

Casual Veteran: a long-standing Halo player who usually plays in a non-competitive environment for fun. Usually seen across Action Sack, basic Slayer playlists, and Multi-team. These guys mostly play alone or with friends on splitscreen and dont get super-sore when they lose.

Competitive Veteran: Will play nearly anything with stride, but will typically stick with their strong suits. This leads to teams excelling specifically at a certain gametype, such as CTF, Extraction, Slayer, KoTH. These people play mostly in groups and rarely solo and have a mindset of “wont settle for anything less than 1st.”

Competitive Casual: Again, Competitive is a mindset, while Casual is basically a frequency at which they play (or skill). These are the guys that think they’re hard and amazing. Sometimes they DO do well in a game, but due to their nature and usuallly being randoms in CTF, it never lasts. They want to be like Competitive players, but they aren’t quite casuals because of their in-game mindset is that of a competitive player, even if their skills dont sum that up. They can also be newer players to the series or long-standing (Veteran) players.

That’s my emphasis and thoughts on the gamer mindset. I would personally have to label myself a Competitive Veteran because of my mindset, how i play, and that Ive played since Day 1 on Halo 2.

>
> Casual- plays the game from time to time, would most likely be found in Flood, Action Sack, Infinity Slayer, usually with a party chat.
>
>
> <mark>Veteran- plays every Halo both casually and competitively, would be found on Infinity Slayer, Big Team Infinity, and CTF. Mostly alone sometimes varies with a party team.</mark>
>

Personally, I would fall under the Competitive Veteran category. However, like ppl said above me, it depends on the player.

>
>
> Competitive- Found in Team Throwdown, <mark>SWAT</mark>, Team Snipers, Big Team Slayer, Capture the Flag, usually would communicate with the team.
>
> Veteran- plays every Halo both casually and competitively, would be found on Infinity Slayer, Big Team Infinity, and CTF. Mostly alone sometimes varies with a party team.
>

I’m sorry, did you just label SWAT as a ‘competitive’ playlist?

> > I’ve been hearing these words thrown around a lot lately, and I think I’m losing a sense of what is Casual, Competitive, and Veteran when it comes to Halo 4. So as a community what do you guys think defines these features in the game.
> >
> > Casual- plays the game from time to time, would most likely be found in Flood, Action Sack, Infinity Slayer, usually with a party chat.
> >
> > Competitive- Found in Team Throwdown, <mark>SWAT</mark>, Team Snipers, Big Team Slayer, Capture the Flag, usually would communicate with the team.
> >
> > Veteran- plays every Halo both casually and competitively, would be found on Infinity Slayer, Big Team Infinity, and CTF. Mostly alone sometimes varies with a party team.
> >
> > It seems all definitions of what defines this game population varies would anyone like to discuss or clarify their opinion on it?
>
> I’m sorry, did you just label SWAT as a ‘competitive’ playlist?

Just because you don’t find one particular gametype, which you don’t like, competitive, does not mean it is the same case with everybody else. I play SWAT competitively, got a problem with that?

We all have different tastes… it’s about time you realized this.

The whole aspect of casual, competitive, and veteran is just as stupid as cathegorizing humans. Its just a way for one part to bash another based on sterotypical traits.

Yes I did use SWAT as competitive it has no radar and test your reflects just like Team Snipers, many competitive people play SWAT. Because a person can’t accurately head shot doesn’t mean it isn’t competitive. I miss Infinity Slayer Pro where there was no radar or armor abilities.

> The whole aspect of casual, competitive, and veteran is just as stupid as cathegorizing humans. Its just a way for one part to bash another based on sterotypical traits.

Who said anything about bashing? Just because we catagorize things doesn’t mean it always has a negative aspect on the community it’s that type of mentality that makes people have closed minds on here.

Competitive Veteran = Me (Played each and every Halo (Also pre-ordered))
I tend to stick to grifball, it’s nice to play a game where one must be in tune with the team to win.

Simply put, a veteran is someone who has been with Halo for a long time. You didn’t have to be with it from the beginning to be a veteran.

Casual and competitive are very broad umbrella terms. The former is usually interpreted as being synonymous with bad people who don’t care about the game much, and the latter with uber-tryhard MLG-wannabes.

Neither of these are true. While many people usually play casually, and many people also treat it as more than a game, I say that “casual” and “competitive” are mindsets that you have at the moment. I am usually very competitive in anything (not just video games), meaning I strive to win. But sometimes, I don’t care about winning, and just want to use the game as an outlet, thus meaning I am in a causal mood.

Anyone get my point?

Herewith my definitions for the three player types discussed in this topic:

Casual

• Favorite vehicle: Mongoose.

Competitive

• Favorite vehicle: Banshee. But with a good pilot, you know?

Veteran

• Favorite vehicle: Warthog. Or Puma. Maybe Chupa-thingie, depending on your RvB preferences.

> So what would you consider yourself now that you have responsibilities Casual?

No, not Casual yet. And I’m sure you weren’t trying to insult me, but please be careful with your sentax and diction.
I’ll still put up a good fight with my trusty BR and magnum, use the same tactics, and always have my mic ready in case anyone is actually there to do teamwork.
It’s hard to get my friends to play Halo anymore, so it’s odd to do the call outs I’m used to with people that don’t know what I mean.
I enjoy being competitive, and I miss having someone on the other end of the mic.

I’ve played halo for years, but I haven’t owned it until about three years ago. That first multiplayer game of Halo 2 at a friend’s house got me hooked and I never turned back. Out of all the multiplayers, I’d have to say Halo 2 was my favorite.

As a veteran, I adapt.

I do not neglect taking advantage of potentially advantageous in-game assets (promethean vision, sprint, instant respawn, ordnance, plasma pistol, DMR, active camo, boltshot), but I typically stay away from that and stick with my trusty Carbine.