What could make modern halo gameplay better

• I believe halo 5 felt like halo evolved but the movement could had some tweaks like thrusters I think they should eliminate that completely, ground pound should be eliminated, sliding make it a lot more shorter without any glitches like in halo 5, clamber should be slower considering Spartans are heavy or remove it completely, a Spartans walking should be a little bit slower like in reach or other halo games ,weapons should return to how they worked in halo 2 or 3. - I liked the stabilizers they could add it like a armor ability or leave as it is, it could greatly work with older halo and adding some new gameplay elements without changing too much. The point is halo should be a little bit slower like it was before but at the same time with a smaller map design it could be faster. I believe we are in 2020 and sprint won’t go away unless a miracle happens but I’m fine with having it or not having it unless it changes map design. Grenades should return in the form of old halo mechanics not these new halo 5 mechanics they function really weird and that could make old halo fans very angry considering that in almost all halo games they function the same.

> 2535444131858297;1:
> I believe halo 5 felt like halo evolved but the movement could had some tweaks like thrusters I think they should eliminate that completely, ground pound should be eliminated, sliding make it a lot more shorter without any glitches like in halo 5, clamber should be slower considering Spartans are heavy or remove it completely, a Spartans walking should be a little bit slower like in reach or other halo games ,weapons should return to how they worked in halo 2 or 3.I liked the stabilizers they could add it like a armor ability or leave as it is, it could greatly work with older halo and adding some new gameplay elements without changing too much. The point is halo should be a little bit slower like it was before but at the same time with a smaller map design it could be faster. I believe we are in 2020 and sprint won’t go away unless a miracle happens but I’m fine with having it or not having it unless it changes map design. Grenades should return in the form of old halo mechanics not these new halo 5 mechanics they function really weird and that could make old halo fans very angry considering that in almost all halo games they function the same.

As long as we have sprint I’m cool, I think it would be bizarre to remove that. Though I guess we shall see!
I’m not too fussed either way really.
As long as I can play a new Halo game that’s all I care about!

Also, some feedback. Maybe split the post into paragraphs, was quite hard to follow through whilst reading.

The Mjolnir Gen 2 armor is lighter allowing for easier clamber, which was already discussed in the past. As for the rest of the Spartan Abilities in general, I like them because it finally made the Spartan Super Soldiers actually feel like super soldiers in game. I wouldn’t mind armor abilities returning if possible. And I have a feeling Spartan Abilities, or at least ones using thrusters are returning since John was shown putting his assault rifle vertically on his back as opposed to diagonally in older titles since the verticle placement is meant to accommodate for thrusters.

They can keep Sprint if they remove thrusters, ground pounding etc. Those abillities wrecked the game too hard.

Halo 5 never felt like a Halo to me, simpl’ because I got killed so fast like - am I playing Halo or a Twitchshooter?

> 2535444131858297;1:
> […] I believe we are in 2020 and sprint won’t go away unless a miracle happens but I’m fine with having it or not having it unless it changes map design. […]

• Sees a “it’s the current year” point against no sprint
  • Laughs in Valorant 2020.

Look, I think you’re right, sprint is going to be in Hi most probably. That doesn’t mean it should or that I’m not sad about it. Sprint is something most console FPS players expect to be there nowadays, but lately quite often shooters offering something different are those that stick around and succeed. And most of those, you guessed it, don’t have that mechanic. Sprint is not a sign of modernity as much of unifirmity imo, and that’s the worst kind of “evolution” a series can hope to achieve. More so in the case of a trendsetter, and Halo used to be THE shooter trendsetter for well over a decade.

Sprint and shoot simultaneously like speed boost basically.

Double jump using the thrusters

Armor abilities return as equipment aka one time use/limited, spread across the maps

> 2533274861263132;4:
> They can keep Sprint if they remove thrusters, ground pounding etc. Those abillities wrecked the game too hard.
>
> Halo 5 never felt like a Halo to me, simpl’ because I got killed so fast like - am I playing Halo or a Twitchshooter?

I agree keep sprint, and also keep thrusters tho and get ride of ground pound. The reason I like thrusters is it helps get across the map more quickly and also it makes a nice dash attack as well. GP is just overly used, like a bunch of little donkey kongs going around. lol

> 2535424704497845;7:
> > 2533274861263132;4:
> > They can keep Sprint if they remove thrusters, ground pounding etc. Those abillities wrecked the game too hard.
> >
> > Halo 5 never felt like a Halo to me, simpl’ because I got killed so fast like - am I playing Halo or a Twitchshooter?
>
> I agree keep sprint, and also keep thrusters tho and get ride of ground pound. The reason I like thrusters is it helps get across the map more quickly and also it makes a nice dash attack as well. GP is just overly used, like a bunch of little donkey kongs going around. lol

Not a friend of thrusters - remember when you just have to master the jumps? cover-jumps - that were a thing

I would rather them improve on classic gameplay where advanced movement is not needed. Bungie used to use the sandbox as means of traversal which lead to interesting and creative map design. When you compensate map design for these abilities, it leads to lackluster maps, which we got with Halo 4 and 5 and even Halo Reach to an extent.

Agree mostly with you, except that sprint should be taken out with base movement speed increased similar to H3 MLG speed with 110-120% speed.

> 2783251376877086;9:
> I would rather them improve on classic gameplay where advanced movement is not needed. Bungie used to use the sandbox as means of traversal which lead to interesting and creative map design. When you compensate map design for these abilities, it leads to lackluster maps, which we got with Halo 4 and 5 and even Halo Reach to an extent.

This right here. I recently played a little bit more Halo 5 recently and while the multiplayer can be fun (I’m definitely in the classic camp, don’t get me wrong), the maps really wreck the flow of the gameplay. The maps aren’t even bad per se, but they are huge! Truth is my least-liked map in Halo 5, it is a mess of sparse cover and huge sight lines, which plays nothing like the CQC chaotic mess that Midship was.

The footprint of the maps is massive, and they’re extremely tall as well. A map with three levels will end up being pretty tall due to map designers having to make walls that aren’t clamber-able, resulting in these deep hallways with weird ledges sticking out of them. My prime example of this problem (other than, once again, Truth) is The Rig, which is a pretty solid map all-around, but the height difference between levels is astounding!

Another gripe I have about Halo 5’s maps is a deal-breaker for me. There aren’t any Teleporters in any of the base maps. Teleporters were a huge component of Halo’s maps and it’s a huge bummer to see them go. I feel like a lot of advanced mobility has made alternative forms of map movement, like more lateral man cannons and vehicles entirely redundant.

> 2535444131858297;1:
> - I believe halo 5 felt like halo evolved but the movement could had some tweaks like thrusters I think they should eliminate that completely, ground pound should be eliminated, sliding make it a lot more shorter without any glitches like in halo 5, clamber should be slower considering Spartans are heavy or remove it completely, a Spartans walking should be a little bit slower like in reach or other halo games ,weapons should return to how they worked in halo 2 or 3. - I liked the stabilizers they could add it like a armor ability or leave as it is, it could greatly work with older halo and adding some new gameplay elements without changing too much. The point is halo should be a little bit slower like it was before but at the same time with a smaller map design it could be faster. I believe we are in 2020 and sprint won’t go away unless a miracle happens but I’m fine with having it or not having it unless it changes map design. Grenades should return in the form of old halo mechanics not these new halo 5 mechanics they function really weird and that could make old halo fans very angry considering that in almost all halo games they function the same.

Ngl I want Sprint and Thrusters but no Spartan Barge or ground pound! Just do basic thrusters like from Halo 4. Don’t know what I would do if 343i decided to take out sprint! That’s the one thing I need, if they take out thrusters I won’t as much but sprint is gooddd

Whether you like it or not, the thruster pack is one of the most innovative additions to the Halo sandbox. It creates omni-directional traversal and creates dynamics in combat, movement and button combinations. It hosts a risk-reward system akin to most Halo fundamentals. It has been regarded as one of the best additions for skill development.

On the notes of button combinations, people generally regard Halo 2 and Halo 5: Guardians as the most competitive and skill-based. With Halo 3 being discussed as the tenure of teamwork.

The idea of removing a mechanic that hosts skill potential is silly at best for a solution because X player cannot perform, simple practice will make you better overall.

On the note of Halo 5: Guardians map design being up scaled. It actually has shown to be better in regards to balancing better spawns for players overall (don’t let nostalgia fool you). The maps create bisecting sightlines across the map for greater teamshot potential and height to give positional advantage. The maps can easily be traversed at a very mobile pace, it just depends on how inventive you are as a player and if your routes are efficient enough.

The general standard of Midship and Truth not paying the same… is ludicrous except for the META of the map itself (run flags Carbine versus Pink). Perhaps the issue is that you as a player aren’t efficient enough? Midship just allows for “faster” rotations yet if your gameplay was looked over fundamental flaw(s) could be identified, where damage output is a critical part of moving up the map or allowing team mates to progress (ie a SWAT team covering one another). Halo 5: Guardians map design is rooted in outplaying via map design whilst exposing players trueskill more because of the skill foundation of efficiency now being a factor. If X player and Y player are both doing the same thing fundamentally, however X player is doing it faster they are considered better.

> 2533274873172929;14:
> On the note of Halo 5: Guardians map design being up scaled. It actually has shown to be better in regards to balancing better spawns for players overall (don’t let nostalgia fool you). The maps create bisecting sightlines across the map for greater teamshot potential and height to give positional advantage. The maps can easily be traversed at a very mobile pace, it just depends on how inventive you are as a player and if your routes are efficient enough.
>
> The general standard of Midship and Truth not paying the same… is ludicrous except for the META of the map itself (run flags Carbine versus Pink). Perhaps the issue is that you as a player aren’t efficient enough? Midship just allows for “faster” rotations yet if your gameplay was looked over fundamental flaw(s) could be identified, where damage output is a critical part of moving up the map or allowing team mates to progress (ie a SWAT team covering one another). Halo 5: Guardians map design is rooted in outplaying via map design whilst exposing players trueskill more because of the skill foundation of efficiency now being a factor. If X player and Y player are both doing the same thing fundamentally, however X player is doing it faster they are considered better.

Dude, you can’t base BOTH your arguments on both your posts on “just because you aren’t efficient enough or good at this is why you don’t like it”. Don’t be ridiculous. And get out of here with that nostalgia crap. You lose ALL credibility when you defend things that are almost unanimously disliked by blaming peoples dislike for said things on “nostalgia” and not the great points they make. There are some great points on this thread and many others pointing out many flaws, and also advantages/disadvantages of spartan abilities and also map design.

You saying that the only reason people don’t like something is because they aren’t good at it, and the only other reason they don’t like it is because they’re nostalgic of older halo’s mechanics is a lazy argument and nobody will take you seriously. You come off as very arrogant and nobody wants to talk too / discuss controversial things with a know-it-all. ESPECIALLY when from what I have seen, about 90% of the people in the community disagree with you.

I agree with Rancheroni completely. Midship used to be one of my favorite maps, and I actually was a big fan of Zealot in Reach. But Truth, I can’t express how much I dislike that map and almost ALL of halo 5’s maps for reasons stated above. The only maps I think work in Halo 5 are Plaza, Empire and Mercy. And even those I have my gripes with, but I think they do the job well.

You should check out this thread linked below if you have not already. There are some great posts with hundreds of likes discussing spartan abilities, and halo 5’s map design. And why they do not work and how they can be improved on. Are all of those people wrong because they are just simply “inefficient” as well, according to you? Or is it possible that most Halo players love Halo, for what made Halo, Halo? And innovations are welcomed, but NOT things that completely deviate from what made the game so enjoyable in the first place?

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/29568daf8cd14083bd1b70a810bf3581/topics/the-return-of-classic-movement-mechanics/dbb9e311-d2f8-48b5-9826-259bffe75cac/posts

Halo Infinite is probably already through its design phase. Any hope for change would be in major patches. With that being said, I’m hopeful for engaging content and a stable network platform to play it on with others. I don’t read into speculation and leaks much. For me, it bloats the anticipation and hype around games to scales that don’t realistically live to my hyped expectations.

Here is one thing I believe could make the Halo Universe better as a modern shooter. Less “randomness”. Randomness is elements in a game that would lead to a mediocre rinse and repeat experience that is less about decisions, and more about chance or happenstance. I mean this in a few different ways - bloom, rewards, spawn systems. The more choices, the more unique of a game it is.

I continue that point, modern shouldn’t mean standard. Standard has been creating an experience that leads to successfully perpetuating the predetermined story. Halo Infinite to me means exactly the opposite. You need choice at every step that leads to infinite. The journey in that system and beyond is what would make it a fulfilling repeatable experience.

Another thing that would modernize the game is my dream to have a representative system for data science. Every byte of data should be given to opensource developers to create unique, universal modded systems. Let us create an experience on top of Halo that interacts with the game in a safe way. Forge is evidence to that kind of success.

me i miss the equipment from halo 3 wish they would bring them back

> 2533274826593125;15:
> > 2533274873172929;14:
> > On the note of Halo 5: Guardians map design being up scaled. It actually has shown to be better in regards to balancing better spawns for players overall (don’t let nostalgia fool you). The maps create bisecting sightlines across the map for greater teamshot potential and height to give positional advantage. The maps can easily be traversed at a very mobile pace, it just depends on how inventive you are as a player and if your routes are efficient enough.
> >
> > The general standard of Midship and Truth not paying the same… is ludicrous except for the META of the map itself (run flags Carbine versus Pink). Perhaps the issue is that you as a player aren’t efficient enough? Midship just allows for “faster” rotations yet if your gameplay was looked over fundamental flaw(s) could be identified, where damage output is a critical part of moving up the map or allowing team mates to progress (ie a SWAT team covering one another). Halo 5: Guardians map design is rooted in outplaying via map design whilst exposing players trueskill more because of the skill foundation of efficiency now being a factor. If X player and Y player are both doing the same thing fundamentally, however X player is doing it faster they are considered better.
>
> Dude, you can’t base BOTH your arguments on both your posts on “just because you aren’t efficient enough or good at this is why you don’t like it”. Don’t be ridiculous. And get out of here with that nostalgia crap. You lose ALL credibility when you defend things that are almost unanimously disliked by blaming peoples dislike for said things on “nostalgia” and not the great points they make. There are some great points on this thread and many others pointing out many flaws, and also advantages/disadvantages of spartan abilities and also map design.
>
> You saying that the only reason people don’t like something is because they aren’t good at it, and the only other reason they don’t like it is because they’re nostalgic of older halo’s mechanics is a lazy argument and nobody will take you seriously. You come off as very arrogant and nobody wants to talk too / discuss controversial things with a know-it-all. ESPECIALLY when from what I have seen, about 90% of the people in the community disagree with you.
>
> I agree with Rancheroni completely. Midship used to be one of my favorite maps, and I actually was a big fan of Zealot in Reach. But Truth, I can’t express how much I dislike that map and almost ALL of halo 5’s maps for reasons stated above. The only maps I think work in Halo 5 are Plaza, Empire and Mercy. And even those I have my gripes with, but I think they do the job well.
>
> You should check out this thread linked below if you have not already. There are some great posts with hundreds of likes discussing spartan abilities, and halo 5’s map design. And why they do not work and how they can be improved on. Are all of those people wrong because they are just simply “inefficient” as well, according to you? Or is it possible that most Halo players love Halo, for what made Halo, Halo? And innovations are welcomed, but NOT things that completely deviate from what made the game so enjoyable in the first place?
>
> https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/29568daf8cd14083bd1b70a810bf3581/topics/the-return-of-classic-movement-mechanics/dbb9e311-d2f8-48b5-9826-259bffe75cac/posts

Lmao. You go about discussing proper map design and state Mercy & Empire as playing well?! Also calling someone a know-it-all and attempting to subvert my knowledge or integrity to what I’m discussing is quite humorous. How’d do you expect an analytical discussion to be had without educated opinions or do you just want sheep for your flock.

If you really want to discuss map design elements I always keen.

• Power Positions - Sightlines - Micropositions - Spawn Locations & Zones - Sectors - Open, Angeled Areas - Closed, Isolated Areas - Objectives - Power Weapons - Power Ups - Weapons & Grenades - META (game mechanics) - Designer Intentions