What Change is acceptable?

I want to hear what people, who dislike what 343 is doing, find acceptable without remaining the exactly the same exact gameplay that was like the past Halos (excluding Reach). I’m really curious. I hear people who do nothing but complain that 343 isn’t doing it the way they want but I rarely ever hear suggestions of what they think would be good change without being the exactly the same it was in the past.

Honestly, if gameplay was exactly like it was Halo 3 or whatever people consider the best of the Halos in terms of MP, how many people would leave because it was the same exact thing that CoD practices? Same gameplay each year with little change.

I’m not being spiteful or egging anyone. I’m genuinely curious.

Talk to us. Tell us what change that would make the game feel fresh while having the feeling of Halo of old.

P.s. I’m not saying I like everything 343 is doing but for the most part I am content and will be even moreso when they explain how it will work.

There’s a couple people who I feel just want Halo 3 with better graphics.

I honestly don’t care so long as I can get good matches and NOT h3 gameplay.

Halo 3 was the only halo game proper I’ve disliked. It felt floaty and I wasn’t digging the spread on the dmr long range.

Thank you for the helpful thread OP.
I agree.
It sems as though some want nothing more than a Halo 2 graphics update.
I myself am very pleased with what information has been released so far.
The only thing that I dislike is the Grunt’s new appearance.
I understand they want to add their own flare to what Bungie has left behind.
But they went overboard with the Grunts.
They need to change them back.
And I usually try to avoid using the word “need” when suggesting Halo 4 features.
So it’s a pretty big deal if I’m saying “need”.

The only thing 343i is doing that im not gun gardening tool about is the name “war games”. Really? That’s the best thing you can come up with?

> There’s a couple people who I feel just want Halo 3 with better graphics.

Yes, than everyone will be calling Halo: Milked Evolved. This will just end up like CoD, same recycled game. I really don’t want that to happen, I am excited to see where Halo 4 is going.

Arena shooters are dead. Halo is needed to go somewhere to survive the market.

How about keeping POWER UPS, only adding to them and expanding that aspect of the game. We have had OV and Camo for 4 games, why not add all the abilities as power-ups?

How about changing the weapons so they all actually have a use, instead 343 is adding the most expansive sandbox yet, which will inevitably leave us with tons of weapons that are redundant.

> How about keeping POWER UPS, only adding to them and expanding that aspect of the game. We have had OV and Camo for 4 games, why not add all the abilities as power-ups?
>
> How about changing the weapons so they all actually have a use, instead 343 is adding the most expansive sandbox yet, which will inevitably leave us with tons of weapons that are redundant.

I would like this. So we don’t have all these crap weapons lying around that nobody will use because the defaults are better.

> There’s a couple people who I feel just want Halo 2 with better graphics.

Fixed and that’s what I want.

> I honestly don’t care so long as I can get good matches and NOT h3 gameplay.
>
> Halo 3 was the only halo game proper I’ve disliked. It felt floaty and I wasn’t digging the spread on the <mark>dmr</mark> long range.

You were playing Halo 3 wrong.

> > I honestly don’t care so long as I can get good matches and NOT h3 gameplay.
> >
> > Halo 3 was the only halo game proper I’ve disliked. It felt floaty and I wasn’t digging the spread on the <mark>dmr</mark> long range.
>
> You were playing Halo 3 wrong.

Oh… I know. Part of the reason I didn’t like it. It didn’t have the dmr. :wink:

You know what I meant :stuck_out_tongue:

Change is alright if it fits in with the Halo formula - that is everyone, who is exactly the same in every way, being thrown into an arena filled with weapons and pickups to be fought over. What happens within that arena determines the victor.

Any change that doesn’t affect this stays within the formula. 343, keeping AA’s and adding modifications, is breaking that formula. It is not balanced, and there is no way you can make these additions balanced for Halo gameplay - no matter how hard you try.

> Change is alright if it fits in with the Halo formula - that is everyone, who is exactly the same in every way, being thrown into an arena filled with weapons and pickups to be fought over. What happens within that arena determines the victor.
>
> Any change that doesn’t affect this stays within the formula. 343, keeping AA’s and adding modifications, is breaking that formula. It is not balanced, and there is no way you can make these additions balanced for Halo gameplay - no matter how hard you try.

So what if everyone starts off different?

The only thing different between customizable loadouts and players all spawning with AR/Magnum is several seconds worth of time walking to the appropriate weapon. The only weapons that shouldn’t be and aren’t seemingly avaliable for custom loadouts are going to be the Power Weapons. And Power Weapons were the only weapons that mattered when it came to map control.

Or were people actually Yoinking! bricks about loosing Needler control on the Pit?

And I can already forsee players at the high end defaulting to BRs automatically, so the “everyone is the same” practice is going to be preserved regardless.

If history, not just of video games but the history of everything, has taught us one thing: It’s that those who refuse to change die. Sticking to the same formula, regardless of what is happening around you, doesn’t come off as a recipe for success.

> I honestly don’t care so long as I can get good matches and NOT h3 gameplay.
>
> Halo 3 was the only halo game proper I’ve disliked. It felt floaty and I wasn’t digging the spread on the dmr long range.

Got to play the game(Halo3) a lot more times before coming up with your opinion.

> So what if everyone starts off different?
>
> The only thing different between customizable loadouts and players all spawning with AR/Magnum is several seconds worth of time walking to the appropriate weapon.
>
> The only weapons that shouldn’t be and aren’t seemingly avaliable for custom loadouts are going to be the Power Weapons. And Power Weapons were the only weapons that mattered when it came to map control.

With AR starts getting to a BR can be very important. It can often be the difference between gaining control of a map and losing it. Power weapons certainly aren’t the only determining factor.

> Or were people actually Yoinking! bricks about loosing Needler control on the Pit?
>
> And I can already forsee players at the high end defaulting to BRs automatically, so the “everyone is the same” practice is going to be preserved regardless.

You’re forgetting that AA’s will still have a great affect on gameplay. True, most high level players will default to BRs, but AA’s and modifications eliminate spawning balance - a staple of Halo that has been praised for years and should continue to exist for good competitive gameplay.

> With AR starts getting to a BR can be very important. It can often be the difference between gaining control of a map and losing it. Power weapons certainly aren’t the only determining factor.

Only because the AR and other automatic weapons has been near useless weapons for 2.5 games (Post TU H2 and onward.)

If they weren’t, then BR vs AR battles wouldn’t be so lopsided and we would just have two tiers of weapons (normal and power) instead of three tiers (useless, normal and power.)

> You’re forgetting that AA’s will still have a great affect on gameplay. True, most high level players will default to BRs, but AA’s and modifications eliminate spawning balance.

And I wouldn’t be surprised to find cookie cutter builds at high end play. How many different ways are there to actually spec a class in World of Warcraft? Billions. How many good ways are there to spec a class in WoW? Less than half a dozen.

I do not mind new weapons and vehicles, new gametypes that could center around new unique ideas such as random weapon drops(but not in every gametype), new armor, new easter eggs, new campaign plots, new maps and spartan ops. I also wouldn’t care if they did a new ranking system to replace 1-50 which eliminated the problems that 1-50 had. Be original in other words, I don’t want create a class, perks, specializations, unlockable weapons, 2 armor abilities, and camo for guns(skins).

> > With AR starts getting to a BR can be very important. It can often be the difference between gaining control of a map and losing it. Power weapons certainly aren’t the only determining factor.
>
> Only because the AR and other automatic weapons has been near useless weapons for 2.5 games (Post TU H2 and onward.)
>
> If they weren’t, then BR vs AR battles wouldn’t be so lopsided and we would just have two tiers of weapons (normal and power) instead of three tiers (useless, normal and power.)
>
>
>
> > You’re forgetting that AA’s will still have a great affect on gameplay. True, most high level players will default to BRs, but AA’s and modifications eliminate spawning balance.
>
> And I wouldn’t be surprised to find cookie cutter builds at high end play. How many different ways are there to actually spec a class in World of Warcraft? Billions. How many good ways are there to spec a class in WoW? Less than half a dozen.

I see what you’re saying, but gameplay will still be unbalanced - even if it is less unbalanced than I am making it out to be. Spawning balance is something I, and many others, love about Halo. It shouldn’t be tossed to the side for the sake of “innovation.”

I’m not going to nitpick at what is acceptable and isn’t, but as long as it’s halo at the core, then I’m in :).