What causes games to be rewritten?

I have seen on this forum a lot that “something happened doing development that caused it to be rewritten.”

I don’t know much about that, but I would like to comment that doing so doesn’t seem to be a good idea.

> 2533274807946495;1:
> I have seen on this forum a lot that “something happened doing development that caused it to be rewritten.”

Well apparently a youtuber claims that Microsoft forced 343 to rewrite Halo 4 and 5 due to the backlash of (Spoiler) Cortana’s death. And now everyone is arguing whether he is telling the truth or not.

> 2533274807946495;1:
> I have seen on this forum a lot that “something happened doing development that caused it to be rewritten.”

We don’t know if that is the case or not, but rewrites are actually pretty common in all forms of media. There is no such thing as a ‘finished product’ till it hits shelves, sometimes not even then.

As what you are referring to are the rumours of the story rewrite I’ll focus my answer on that.
Writing any story starts with a basic plot line with plenty of gaps to fill in. The author or writing team will have an aim for the tone of the story or what they want the recipient to feel. It can be easy to go off track as new ideas form or the feel and tone may look starkly different when looked at as a whole rather than a single chapter or level.
In the case of Halo the rumour is that Microsoft wanted 343 to undo the death of Cortana late into development which resulted in the poor story and missing game modes at launch.

Publishers who won’t leave developers the hell alone, usually.

I believe its Microsoft