What are your thoughts on Grenades?

Hi Halo community. I write a blog about Halo: Reach, and my thoughts on how it could be better. Last week I did a post about Armor Lock. If you would like to check it out, the link is below.
http://how-can-halo-reach-be-better.blogspot.com/

I am currently working on another post about the grenades, and this would be my research for it. I would like your thoughts about the grenades in Halo: Reach. What do you like about them, what don’t you like about them, and what would you do to change them.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23749438&player=Phyre%20Blaze

There overpowered for current reachs settings.

Seriously overpowered…

I think we all agree that they suck. But, they are much better when using 110 jump, 110 speed, and 150 gravity. And are pretty much fine in regards to damage if you add in 110% damage resistance (all settings which I have been advocating for the next TU beta). They still go “wonky” (do not follow their original trajectory once they bounce) and are not as tactically useful as they were in H3 (ie they don’t have as much "bounce), but overall are far better than on default.

I find they are quite usefull if you throw them right. I opt to aim down at the ground so they bounce a short distance in front of me. Very usefull in an engagment. I would like it if they had just a little more bounce, but eh, it’s not that big of a deal to me.

I don’t care if they are overpowered. But halo 3 grenades were worse

> I don’t care if they are overpowered. But halo 3 grenades were worse

I completely (but respectfully) disagree. Halo 3 grenades were perfectly balanced as tactical tools. They were supplements to combat.

Reach grenades are standalone weapons, and they really shouldn’t be.

Damage wise, they are similar to past installments. But the reduced movement speeds and jump heights make them feel like nuclear bombs.

Grenades are supposed to be OP. They are explosives. Try standing next to a grenade in real life. You won’t survive to complain about how OP it was.

Though I will admit the blast radius is kind of insane, but this is easily fixed by upping player speed.

> I don’t care if they are overpowered. But halo 3 grenades were worse

definitely. Grenades are supposed to be EXPLOSIVES. DEADLY EXPLOSIVES. In Halo 3 they weren’t explosives, they were glorified water balloons

> > I don’t care if they are overpowered. But halo 3 grenades were worse
>
> definitely. Grenades are supposed to be EXPLOSIVES. DEADLY EXPLOSIVES. In Halo 3 they weren’t explosives, they were glorified water balloons

But this is a game, and gameplay. Yes, that’s my response.

In Halo 3 you had to throw your grenades so that they would either stop on the ground in the right place or bounce up and explode in the right place, and both would require precise timing. In Reach it feels like you can throw a grenade anywhere at any time and you are guaranteed to cause major damage to at least one person.

The physics of a grenade (how the grenade sails through the air, bounces and explodes) coupled with the reduced movement of Spartans in Reach makes them far more effective than in previous games, and in my opinion far too effective.

They’re grenades. Not much else to say about them.

The radius is a little mad. Halo 3 was fine, they did damage, but had to be placed more carefully.

And to whoever said ‘Grenades are supposed to be OP in real life, try standing next to one and see how it turns out.’

That there, was fail. 110% fail. You’re comparing a VIDEO GAME, set FIVE HUNDRED YEARS in the future, when you’re playing as a HALF-TONNE SUPER SOLDIER, on another PLANET, fighting ALIENS with real life…

Maybe you should just go to bed and give up for the day, yeah?

> The radius is a little mad. Halo 3 was fine, they did damage, but had to be placed more carefully.
>
> And to whoever said ‘Grenades are supposed to be OP in real life, try standing next to one and see how it turns out.’
>
> That there, was fail. 110% fail. You’re comparing a VIDEO GAME, set FIVE HUNDRED YEARS in the future, when you’re playing as a HALF-TONNE SUPER SOLDIER, on another PLANET, fighting ALIENS with real life…
>
> Maybe you should just go to bed and give up for the day, yeah?

500 years in the future, I expect grenades to be 500 years more powerful.

I like having a Mini-Nuke in my pocket.

> > The radius is a little mad. Halo 3 was fine, they did damage, but had to be placed more carefully.
> >
> > And to whoever said ‘Grenades are supposed to be OP in real life, try standing next to one and see how it turns out.’
> >
> > That there, was fail. 110% fail. You’re comparing a VIDEO GAME, set FIVE HUNDRED YEARS in the future, when you’re playing as a HALF-TONNE SUPER SOLDIER, on another PLANET, fighting ALIENS with real life…
> >
> > Maybe you should just go to bed and give up for the day, yeah?
>
> 500 years in the future, I expect grenades to be 500 years more powerful.

When used against a normal human being sure.

They should not bleedthrough to health at all if you ask me.

> > The radius is a little mad. Halo 3 was fine, they did damage, but had to be placed more carefully.
> >
> > And to whoever said ‘Grenades are supposed to be OP in real life, try standing next to one and see how it turns out.’
> >
> > That there, was fail. 110% fail. You’re comparing a VIDEO GAME, set FIVE HUNDRED YEARS in the future, when you’re playing as a HALF-TONNE SUPER SOLDIER, on another PLANET, fighting ALIENS with real life…
> >
> > Maybe you should just go to bed and give up for the day, yeah?
>
> 500 years in the future, I expect grenades to be 500 years more powerful.

Please rap your head around the idea that gameplay =/= cannon.

Guess what that means?

Gameplay is more important than Story or realism.

And from that…

Grenades are to powerfull and negatively effect gameplay because unlike other games you can’t move as fast or jump as high to avoid them, nor are nearly as “tactical” as they used to be.

> They should not bleedthrough to health at all if you ask me.

NOPE DYING BY ONE GRENADE WHILE YOU ARE ORANGE HEALTH AND FULL SHIELDS MAKES PERFECT SENSE

/BungieLogic

Grena…*Reach grenades blow up too quickly for me to finish my sentence"

;( They blow up too quickly and you move too slow/jump to low to dodge them half the time. The radius is insane though it looks balanced when compared to CEs OP Frags.

While it still does take skill to toss them around bends and corners for some good kills, placing isn’t as essential as the nukes will rape the unfortunate soul it happens to bounce by and it doesn’t really have to be too close to do major damage.

Dat fuse time is insane. Insanely fast. For both nade types.

Once you hear the click, it’s already too late.