What are you guys planning to test?

Since flight 2 is coming a bit later than what we hoped, in the mean time I think we can talk about the potential things we can test if we do get into the next flight.

Personally, with my current 3900X/5700XT setup, I am quite interested in seeing how the game works, if at all, with the new AMD CPU and GPUs. There have been a few known issues with AMD’s Zen 2 and Navi with other games already. My more common place Intel/NVIDIA laptop should be able to run this perfectly fine at least on the driver side of things.

I don’t have an ultrawide monitor on hand to test compatibility in that department, but I do have a 144Hz 1080p monitor and a 4k 60Hz monitor so I can see how the games does beyond 60 FPS and at higher resolutions, along with some less than optimal multi-monitor eyefinity setups. It’s typical for games to be GPU limited at higher resolutions and CPU limited at lower resolutions. If I get the chance I’m going to see if there are some unexpected amount of load in different situations.

checking out how many fps i get while t-bagging slayed spartans/NPCs

I’m gonna test and see if this will blow my power supply like Doom 2016 did.

That was a fun day.

I’m going to see if aiming will actually be easier than console. Sure, a mouse gives you faster and more precise control than a controller, but I don’t think mouse is very compatible with sticky aim.

> 2535471821288889;4:
> I’m going to see if aiming will actually be easier than console. Sure, a mouse gives you faster and more precise control than a controller, but I don’t think mouse is very compatible with sticky aim.

which is why I doubt it will have sticky aim. Basically no shooters on PC use any assists for mouse as they just makes it harder. Using a mouse with no assists is always going to be more effective than anything on controller, just takes people a bit to get used to it if it’s their first time.

> 2533275024965792;5:
> > 2535471821288889;4:
> > I’m going to see if aiming will actually be easier than console. Sure, a mouse gives you faster and more precise control than a controller, but I don’t think mouse is very compatible with sticky aim.
>
> which is why I doubt it will have sticky aim. Basically no shooters on PC use any assists for mouse as they just makes it harder. Using a mouse with no assists is always going to be more effective than anything on controller, just takes people a bit to get used to it if it’s their first time.

Can confirm, as I’m trying to get used to KB&M for shooters I struggled at first but have noticed vast improvements with my aiming the more I practice.

I just started testing out my ultrawide for gaming. I use to only use it for animating and keeping my windows open while I gamed on my 1080p 1ms 144hz ASUS monitor. It is odd getting used to 60fps again but I love the higher res (3440x1440) and the ips panel. Maybe someday I will be able to afford the best of both worlds with a little hdr action on the side? One can only hope.

> 2533274927740213;6:
> > 2533275024965792;5:
> > > 2535471821288889;4:
> > > I’m going to see if aiming will actually be easier than console. Sure, a mouse gives you faster and more precise control than a controller, but I don’t think mouse is very compatible with sticky aim.
> >
> > which is why I doubt it will have sticky aim. Basically no shooters on PC use any assists for mouse as they just makes it harder. Using a mouse with no assists is always going to be more effective than anything on controller, just takes people a bit to get used to it if it’s their first time.
>
> Can confirm, as I’m trying to get used to KB&M for shooters I struggled at first but have noticed vast improvements with my aiming the more I practice.

It gets easier with time. I made the full hop here a year or so ago, and at first i had a hard time being competitive (granted this was the dedicated hope to being just pc, I had played pc for a few years prior but most of my shooters were still on console). Once you figure out a good sensitivity though, things start to click and you begin to build some muscle memory. It only gets easier and better from there. Now a days I do not think I could ever go back. A really useful tool for anyone as well is a website i found called “Mouse-sensitivity.com”. it lets you plug in your setting from one game, and call tell you what setting you need to use in another game to have the same DPI and mouse sensitivity. Really helps with building your muscle memory and reaction time when things are nice and uniform.

> 2533274927740213;6:
> > 2533275024965792;5:
> > > 2535471821288889;4:
> > >
>
> Can confirm, as I’m trying to get used to KB&M for shooters I struggled at first but have noticed vast improvements with my aiming the more I practice.

Aye, it’s always a pain trying to get used to a different control scheme, but it’s worth it in the end.
When you’re used to quick and precise mouse movements controllers start to feel incredibly sluggish, and aim assist is more of a hindrance when trying for headshots.
I switched over years ago and boy is it a struggle to get back into using controllers.

I’m hopefully going to be testing it on my 3700X/GTX1080 rig and I’ll be looking to see how smooth it is playing with M&KB. I played Halo Online and found that alright to play with the mouse and keyboard so I’ve got high hopes.

> 2535424401123090;3:
> I’m gonna test and see if this will blow my power supply like Doom 2016 did.
>
> That was a fun day.

Well I haven’t blown a power supply. But gears of war definitive edition did blow up my 1060ti. So Alienware had to replace it. For the inconvenience they upgraded me to a 1070 OC. I made a joke with the Alienware tech. I told him I thought it was all a part of the Alienware FX. He had a good laugh about that for about a minute. But I’m not going to lie. I did crap myself when it happened. Breaking the power cord as I yanked it out of the laptop.again everything was repaired and under warranty thank God. The repair tech also put a new mode on the command center. It’s called gears mode.

For the stuff that I wanted to test. I think I would like to test the controller interface I know that may sound lame to a lot of people. but some Halo fans will still want to have a controller in their hand.also would like to test to see how well the Alienware graphics amplifier works with the game. Also possibly dual screen setup. Also how well does it run with livestream software. How well it works with g-sync. Also with it being Halo reach voice chat would be very important. I would like to see how hard I could push the frame rate.of course when he lets you comes out I’m going to be one of the people that want to test to see if all of the classic glitches still work. And I will fight 343 industries to keep them in there. I have a lot of fond memories of glitching outside the map and exploring. And also when mod support happens. I would like to Port over the three or four maps that I made for Halo 2 for Xbox.

> 2533274807301434;12:
> For the stuff that I wanted to test. I think I would like to test the controller interface I know that may sound lame to a lot of people. but some Halo fans will still want to have a controller in their hand.also would like to test to see how well the Alienware graphics amplifier works with the game. Also possibly dual screen setup. Also how well does it run with livestream software. How well it works with g-sync. Also with it being Halo reach voice chat would be very important. I would like to see how hard I could push the frame rate.of course when he lets you comes out I’m going to be one of the people that want to test to see if all of the classic glitches still work. And I will fight 343 industries to keep them in there. I have a lot of fond memories of glitching outside the map and exploring. And also when mod support happens. I would like to Port over the three or four maps that I made for Halo 2 for Xbox.

External GPU setups are pretty rare, would definitely be interested to hear how you go with those.

I’ve been messing with upscaling and downscaling lately, so compatibility in that regard is getting added onto my testing list. Downscaling into 1080p from 4k and upscaling from 1440p to 4k. Upscaling is honestly kind of questionable considering how easy Reach is to run already, but I figured there might just be that one guy out there with a 144Hz 4k monitor and a 5 year old graphics card.

> 2535453954780545;13:
> > 2533274807301434;12:
> > For the stuff that I wanted to test. I think I would like to test the controller interface I know that may sound lame to a lot of people. but some Halo fans will still want to have a controller in their hand.also would like to test to see how well the Alienware graphics amplifier works with the game. Also possibly dual screen setup. Also how well does it run with livestream software. How well it works with g-sync. Also with it being Halo reach voice chat would be very important. I would like to see how hard I could push the frame rate.of course when he lets you comes out I’m going to be one of the people that want to test to see if all of the classic glitches still work. And I will fight 343 industries to keep them in there. I have a lot of fond memories of glitching outside the map and exploring. And also when mod support happens. I would like to Port over the three or four maps that I made for Halo 2 for Xbox.
>
> External GPU setups are pretty rare, would definitely be interested to hear how you go with those.
>
> I’ve been messing with upscaling and downscaling lately, so compatibility in that regard is getting added onto my testing list. Downscaling into 1080p from 4k and upscaling from 1440p to 4k. Upscaling is honestly kind of questionable considering how easy Reach is to run already, but I figured there might just be that one guy out there with a 144Hz 4k monitor and a 5 year old graphics card.

well I don’t think it would be all that hard for them to come out with an HD graphics pack. But if they really want to do it seamlessly they would offer that graphic pack separately. But I personally believe most PC gamers are just going to go for a 1080p high refresh rate. Cuz when you start pushing 4K it starts getting really expensive. But if they offer mod support on Halo Master Chief collection. I know a lot of people there going to start porting over modded maps from Halo 2 Xbox. I’m going to pour it over maps like Ariel. Sunny Nation. Moonbase stronghold. And the one I became famous for. Moon Bay stronghold Delta. If you have a hacked original Xbox you’ll know what I’m talking about. I never modded to cheat. I just like having the system unlocked so I can check out unsanctioned maps.

interesting that you have a full AMD build and to go as far as a 5700xt, i myself have a 2700x and a 2080ti, and im spicifically interested to see how well it looks at 1440p 144htz.

> 2533274932791075;15:
> interesting that you have a full AMD build and to go as far as a 5700xt, i myself have a 2700x and a 2080ti, and im spicifically interested to see how well it looks at 1440p 144htz.

I have a 2700x and a 2080 and I’m pretty sure that we will be able to play all the classic games at 144 fps no problem.

> 2533274932791075;15:
> interesting that you have a full AMD build and to go as far as a 5700xt, i myself have a 2700x and a 2080ti, and im spicifically interested to see how well it looks at 1440p 144htz.

Honestly the original plan was to buy a 2070 Super but upon release the local price was around 100 USD above US price while the 5700XT was on par with US price. A 200 USD price difference was just not justifiable for the performance difference.

From my understanding Reach is very easy to run even at 4k. The youtuber generalkidd says he is running 4k 60fps fine on a RTX2060 and 8700T build, while his 1050 build can run it close to 60fps at 4k

Just whipped out the old 360 and gave firefight a run. Turns out I had a custom mode saved with all elite generals, infinite health, 3x damage and etc. One thing I noticed is that the 360 struggles sometimes when the map is filled to the limit. I’m going to try and see how a filled up map handles and if there are any crashes if I get into flight two.

I will entirely focus my time on mouse input, the amount of frames (which directly affects mouse input) and weapon balance.

I think that in order for this game to succeed on PC, all these (but ESPECIALLY frames and mouse input) needs to be flawless.
Also there will probably be a lot of absolutely broken weapons in multiplayer, and tweaking these won’t be easy.

For example, snipers will be a problem, I can guarantee you this. It’s much easier to double hit-scan someone (or do a quick headshot) with a mouse rather than with a controller.
Spartan lazer is another great example. Tracking someone for 2 seconds will be literally free with a mouse if you have mediocre to decent aim.

All things said I do believe all of this can be fixed with tweaks and changes here and there (not necessarily nerfs, but rather change the core mechanics of some of these weapons so they don’t become useless) and I think some of us will have a great oversight on this. I’ll try my best to rationally give feedback about weapon balancing and I strongly invite everyone else to do so. :slight_smile:

I’m hoping my PC will be able to run it with its somewhat mediocre card.