What 343 has already done brilliantly

Right, here’s a topic that isn’t one of the millions that says ‘sprint needs to go’ or ‘343 ruined Halo.’ Because 343 has done some absolutely fantastic things with Halo that I think we, as a community, may have overlooked. Don’t get me wrong, Halo 4 was far from perfect and Halo 5 multiplayer needs tweaking, but let’s ignore those things for the moment and focus on what 343 needs to keep doing.

  • GraphicsYou cannot deny that for a last-gen game, Halo 4 was stunning. Beautiful. Breathtaking. That scene where you leave the Dawn’s crash site and come across the Forerunner towers made me stop my Warthog and stare. Who can deny that the aesthetics of the final part of the mission Midnight where you’re splitting Cortana into the system weren’t magnificent? Or how detailed Halsey’s face looked in that opening animation and the Spartan Ops videos? And that’s before we even get into what a job they did on Halo 2 Anniversary. Admit it, Bungie’s Gravemind looked like a dead rose had developed speech and a particularly bad cold. 343’s Gravemind looks like it’s actually made of corpses, the way its mouth is structured looks almost painful, which is exactly what you want with an enemy made from necrotic flesh. Halo 5’s graphics look like they’re measuring up to be the same.
  1. Story

Cortana. Is. Dead. And they played it wonderfully. They took a perfectly valid plot point, Rampancy, and a perfectly structured problem, imminent composition of the human race, and created a perfectly reasonable solution: Overload the gun with a load of insane half naked blue ladies. No, that’s not sarcasm. If you’ve played the mission you’ll know it sounds better than I can put into words. Halo Nightfall was great and it gives us a really good insight into Locke’s character. Forward Unto Dawn was… eh, I’ll admit that it dragged a little but after the space elevator collapsed you know you were hooked.

  1. Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer

Please don’t shoot me, but if you remove the part of your brain that says ‘It’s turning into Call Of Duty’ the Beta was actually pretty fun. I had a blast using ground pound and clambering up walls. I don’t like COD, so don’t accuse me of being a fanboy, but though I think that the killtimes are a little too fast I much preferred the fast paced gameplay. The sprint limit works in my opinion, and the thruster pack adds a plethora of new features that because they’re standard on all Spartans we can react to. Yes, the ability to sprint-and-Spartan-charge or sprint-stop-shoot does add elements of twitch gameplay, but to be honest don’t the different grenade types do that? Everybody loves the incineration and spike grenades from Halo 3 and yet the four different grenades types made gameplay very twitchy. You could get stuck with two different blast radii, set on fire and have to deal with burn damage, or have to dodge a plain explosion. In terms of things that deviate Halo from a tactical shooter, there’s no difference with thruster pack. Well, there is, but it’s a metaphor.

  1. Halo Waypoint

The very fact that you’re on this forum means that you must use this. It’s cleaner, newer, fresher, and has an ever expanding Universe section. The terminals aren’t designed to be viewed halfway through a game session, they’re designed for when you want to do something Haloish but not play the game at that moment. The website has had a huge workover and these forums work so much smoother. The aesthetics are brilliant too. You can follow Halo on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Twitch, Instagram; there’s so many ways to integrate social media and the game I don’t know what they’re going to do next. Carrier pigeon, maybe?

> 2533274801566786;1:
> Right, here’s a topic that isn’t one of the millions that says ‘sprint needs to go’ or ‘343 ruined Halo.’ Because 343 has done some absolutely fantastic things with Halo that I think we, as a community, may have overlooked. Don’t get me wrong, Halo 4 was far from perfect and Halo 5 multiplayer needs tweaking, but let’s ignore those things for the moment and focus on what 343 needs to keep doing.
> - Graphics
> You cannot deny that for a last-gen game, Halo 4 was stunning. Beautiful. Breathtaking. That scene where you leave the Dawn’s crash site and come across the Forerunner towers made me stop my Warthog and stare. Who can deny that the aesthetics of the final part of the mission Midnight where you’re splitting Cortana into the system weren’t magnificent? Or how detailed Halsey’s face looked in that opening animation and the Spartan Ops videos? And that’s before we even get into what a job they did on Halo 2 Anniversary. Admit it, Bungie’s Gravemind looked like a dead rose had developed speech and a particularly bad cold. 343’s Gravemind looks like it’s actually made of corpses, the way its mouth is structured looks almost painful, which is exactly what you want with an enemy made from necrotic flesh. Halo 5’s graphics look like they’re measuring up to be the same.
>
> 2. Story
>
> Cortana. Is. Dead. And they played it wonderfully. They took a perfectly valid plot point, Rampancy, and a perfectly structured problem, imminent composition of the human race, and created a perfectly reasonable solution: Overload the gun with a load of insane half naked blue ladies. No, that’s not sarcasm. If you’ve played the mission you’ll know it sounds better than I can put into words. Halo Nightfall was great and it gives us a really good insight into Locke’s character. Forward Unto Dawn was… eh, I’ll admit that it dragged a little but after the space elevator collapsed you know you were hooked.
>
> 3. Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer
>
> Please don’t shoot me, but if you remove the part of your brain that says ‘It’s turning into Call Of Duty’ the Beta was actually pretty fun. I had a blast using ground pound and clambering up walls. I don’t like COD, so don’t accuse me of being a fanboy, but though I think that the killtimes are a little too fast I much preferred the fast paced gameplay. The sprint limit works in my opinion, and the thruster pack adds a plethora of new features that because they’re standard on all Spartans we can react to. Yes, the ability to sprint-and-Spartan-charge or sprint-stop-shoot does add elements of twitch gameplay, but to be honest don’t the different grenade types do that? Everybody loves the incineration and spike grenades from Halo 3 and yet the four different grenades types made gameplay very twitchy. You could get stuck with two different blast radii, set on fire and have to deal with burn damage, or have to dodge a plain explosion. In terms of things that deviate Halo from a tactical shooter, there’s no difference with thruster pack. Well, there is, but it’s a metaphor.
>
> 4. Halo Waypoint
>
> The very fact that you’re on this forum means that you must use this. It’s cleaner, newer, fresher, and has an ever expanding Universe section. The terminals aren’t designed to be viewed halfway through a game session, they’re designed for when you want to do something Haloish but not play the game at that moment. The website has had a huge workover and these forums work so much smoother. The aesthetics are brilliant too. You can follow Halo on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Twitch, Instagram; there’s so many ways to integrate social media and the game I don’t know what they’re going to do next. Carrier pigeon, maybe?

343i is really rejuvenating the franchise imo.

> 2533274882999606;2:
> > 2533274801566786;1:
> > Right, here’s a topic that isn’t one of the millions that says ‘sprint needs to go’ or ‘343 ruined Halo.’ Because 343 has done some absolutely fantastic things with Halo that I think we, as a community, may have overlooked. Don’t get me wrong, Halo 4 was far from perfect and Halo 5 multiplayer needs tweaking, but let’s ignore those things for the moment and focus on what 343 needs to keep doing.
> > - Graphics
> >
> > 2. Story
> >
> >
> >
> > 3. Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer
> >
> >
> >
> > 4. Halo Waypoint
>
>
> 343i is really rejuvenating the franchise imo.

Thank you. Yes, they’ve made plenty of mistakes along the way, but hasn’t Bungie? And Treyarch? And Bioware? And Lucasarts? And Valve? And Ubisoft?

> 2533274801566786;3:
> > 2533274882999606;2:
> > > 2533274801566786;1:
> > > Right, here’s a topic that isn’t one of the millions that says ‘sprint needs to go’ or ‘343 ruined Halo.’ Because 343 has done some absolutely fantastic things with Halo that I think we, as a community, may have overlooked. Don’t get me wrong, Halo 4 was far from perfect and Halo 5 multiplayer needs tweaking, but let’s ignore those things for the moment and focus on what 343 needs to keep doing.
> > > - Graphics
> > > 2. Story
> > >
> > > 3. Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer
> > >
> > > 4. Halo Waypoint
> >
> >
> > 343i is really rejuvenating the franchise imo.
>
>
> Thank you. Yes, they’ve made plenty of mistakes along the way, but hasn’t Bungie? And Treyarch? And Bioware? And Lucasarts? And Valve? And Ubisoft?

Im sold on it I can’t wait…another thing that I liked is that they made automatic weapons actually useful. I mean I can’t remember ever playing halo before and going to my buddy DUDE you gotta try the SMG! it shreds?! I think if they brought TTK up a little that it would be really great!

Agree with everything except your assessment of FuD and Nightfall. FuD was so much better imo.

> 2533274803493024;5:
> Agree with everything except your assessment of FuD and Nightfall. FuD was so much better imo.

That I have to agree with, I have only watched 3 episodes of Nightfall in the past 4 months or so and have not gone back to finish the series yet. I guess that Nightfall just does not hold my attention like Forward Unto Dawn did.

To the OP, all we need is oculus rift support for the xbox one (if it does not have it) as well as Halo 5 guardians. :stuck_out_tongue: That would be kinda cool.

I like the way they’re progressing the story, but the campaign felt unplayable to someone who hasn’t read all of the books and graphic novels, and to be honest, while the narrative was good in Halo 4, the campaign itself felt poorly constructed and boring, as did Spartan Ops.

The graphics of Halo 4, Halo 2 A, and Halo 5 do look great, while I’m not a fan of the overall art direction (new rocket launcher, elite armor, and so on), I do appreciate the fact that it does look interesting and works well with the narrative.

Halo 5G Multiplayer - I dislike sprint, but from what I’ve seen, it looks like it’s a step in the right direction, and have no intention of not playing because sprint is in it.

Waypoint: Yeah, I agree, waypoint is much better. I’m on daily now.

I don’t think 343 is a bad game developer, but I still feel like MCC was a massive blunder (though it was likely mostly microsoft’s fault) and Halo 4 could have been a lot better both campaign and multiplayer wise. I’m hoping that they learned their lessons though.

> 2533274944267503;8:
> I like the way they’re progressing the story, but the campaign felt unplayable to someone who hasn’t read all of the books and graphic novels, and to be honest, while the narrative was good in Halo 4, the campaign itself felt poorly constructed and boring, as did Spartan Ops.
>
> The graphics of Halo 4, Halo 2 A, and Halo 5 do look great, while I’m not a fan of the overall art direction (new rocket launcher, elite armor, and so on), I do appreciate the fact that it does look interesting and works well with the narrative.
>
> Halo 5G Multiplayer - I dislike sprint, but from what I’ve seen, it looks like it’s a step in the right direction, and have no intention of not playing because sprint is in it.
>
> Waypoint: Yeah, I agree, waypoint is much better. I’m on daily now.
>
> I don’t think 343 is a bad game developer, but I still feel like MCC was a massive blunder (though it was likely mostly microsoft’s fault) and Halo 4 could have been a lot better both campaign and multiplayer wise. I’m hoping that they learned their lessons though.

To your first point. True, which Is why as a long time Halo fan I love what they are doing to introduce the lore to the people who do not read the books with HuntTheTruth so they are not completely confused by it during Halo 5.

> 2533274801566786;1:
> Please don’t shoot me, but if you remove the part of your brain that says ‘It’s turning into Call Of Duty’ the Beta was actually pretty fun.

I don’t know man, I just watched the new Black Ops III trailer and it looks like Halo copied off of Black Ops III by having genetically & technologically enhanced super soldiers in the future.

lol

gaurantee with 100% certainty cortana will be back.

Yes, absolutely. As someone already mentioned, 343 is really rejuvenating this franchise by placing far more emphasis on characters and lore. Not to mention, the whole team is made up of avid Halo enthusiasts. There are numerous reports that claim Bungie towards the end of Halo 3’s development were tired and fatigued of the franchise. I’d rather this be in the hands of people who adore everything Halo; story, universe, lore, the whole nine yards. This can easily be displayed through the Halo Channel, which is everything a hardcore Halo veteran could want.

343 isn’t perfect, and certainly took some missteps in Halo 4’s multiplayer, but I think overall they are the perfect team to handle the franchise.

Maybe one day I will wake up and realize why anyone else likes anything 343 has done, but until then I will scratch my head and mourn the death of a formerly great franchise

Lore that is increasingly off the rails and convoluted, generic gameplay, crappy storylines not only in games but also in the expanded media material, new characters I couldn’t care less about, and so on

However, credit where credit is due, they managed to screw up their second release so badly Ubisoft is probably shaking their heads

I’m gaining back some hope for 343 after what I’ve seen with the Guardians beta. I think they’ll really blow us away with Halo 5.

> 2533274963205596;12:
> Yes, absolutely. As someone already mentioned, 343 is really rejuvenating this franchise by placing far more emphasis on characters and lore. Not to mention, the whole team is made up of avid Halo enthusiasts. There are numerous reports that claim Bungie towards the end of Halo 3’s development were tired and fatigued of the franchise. I’d rather this be in the hands of people who adore everything Halo; story, universe, lore, the whole nine yards. This can easily be displayed through the Halo Channel, which is everything a hardcore Halo veteran could want.
>
> 343 isn’t perfect, and certainly took some missteps in Halo 4’s multiplayer, but I think overall they are the perfect team to handle the franchise.

no they were tired when they were forced to make reach

> 2533274944267503;8:
> I like the way they’re progressing the story, but the campaign felt unplayable to someone who hasn’t read all of the books and graphic novels, and to be honest, while the narrative was good in Halo 4, the campaign itself felt poorly constructed and boring, as did Spartan Ops.

I agree 100%

While I understood/enjoyed Halo 4’s story, I couldn’t help but feel bad for the casual fans of the series while playing through the campaign. The story included a number of details that were only covered in small side-media outside the main games, which can be frustrating for those unaware of that information. I just don’t feel as though everyone should have to read through Halopedia, the graphic novels, books, and other side-stories in order to get the full effect of the games main plot. You wouldn’t see A Game of Thrones bridge the 5th and 6th book with a comic, nor would you see Breaking Bad bridge the story between two seasons with short novel… I think Halo should be similar.

343i has had many blunders, don’t get me wrong, but I’m hoping they are finally getting the hang of making well-made games. I completely agree with the graphics, except there was too much blue mixed in, and it just didn’t feel right. Hopefully they can balance in different colors, which they kind of did in Spartan Ops cinematics, with the yellow holograms and stuff.

I’m super pumped for the H5 campaign, because it seems like were going toward a Late-H2/Early-H3 phase where Humanity is losing a war (I mean, in the two #HuntTheTruth cinematics had a destroyed city and a nearly totalled Infinity, I think thats quite a bit of damage)

Also PR

I liked how Halo 4’s campaign had a plot. At least we’ve got that going for us still.

> 2533274883669557;10:
> > 2533274801566786;1:
> > Please don’t shoot me, but if you remove the part of your brain that says ‘It’s turning into Call Of Duty’ the Beta was actually pretty fun.
>
>
> I don’t know man, I just watched the new Black Ops III trailer and it looks like Halo copied off of Black Ops III by having genetically & technologically enhanced super soldiers in the future.
>
> lol

Seeing as Halo has been around longer than CODs future super soldiers it would be more fair to say they copied off Halo