Well that was a fantastic way...

…to introduce me to 343’s Flood mode.

Before I begin, let me state that I detest not only H3 and Reach’s incarnations of Flood, Living Dead, but I hate the H2 version as well. Because no matter the map, no matter the settings, the gameplay was crap. It was more crap than fossilied dinosaur poo. It was more crap than the international poo festival.

The ‘standard’ variants always broke down-

It was more crap than a senior prank that involved spiking the punch with exlax!

Last one. I swear.

-into one thing: Find the one spot on the map that gives you the best defense on as many sides as possible and forces the Zombies/Flood/whatever to come at you single file so that you can abuse the power of Shotgun/Magnum while trivializing any benefits they get in terms of mobility and numbers.

End result?

People blocking off the stairs on Haunted House and camping on the roof. People camping from the lights hanging from the ceiling on Rat’s Nest. People camping on top of the pipe on Ghost Town. Etc. Etc. Et-Yoink!ing-c.

With that said, do you know what I got in my first game of Flood? People camping. On top of the tower near the cliffside in the middle. I would be angry but I saw this coming. Saw this coming like I saw that mile wide asteroid that killed the dinosaurs. I tried to warn them about that, but they wouldn’t listen.

I’m already writing this variant of Living Dead off as more of the same. At least I’ll always have Custom Game Infection to play with.

OH WAIT-

AH -Yoinking!- GREED

Uhhhhh dude… That’s what Flood is. It’s always been that way. Why would you expect something different? People love it for that reason. It’s obviously not your gametype. I love it. There’s plenty of other non-camper gametypes. This is what zombies is supposed to be. I think they did a phenomenal job.

If Bungie can put chess in Halo:Reach, then 343 can put old infection in Halo 4.

> People camping from the lights hanging from the ceiling on Rat’s Nest.

:slight_smile:

Good times. Not my preferred strategy, but decent nontheless.

Isn’t that sort of the point of Infection/Flood? Hole up as a group and survive?

Infection is a zombie apocalypse. In a movie, what happens to the people that continue to move around vs the people that hole up?

Complaining about camping in Flood/Infection is akin to complaining about people camping the flag while on defense in 1-Flag CTF. It doesn’t make much sense, but that’s just my opinion.

Flood is not Slayer. There are no rules to say that all players must constantly be walking around, and may in no circumstances group up in groups of 2 or more.

Oh, wait, Slayer doesn’t have those rules either.

I’m tired of hearing people complain about things like this. Getting to high ground with several teammates is not cheap - it’s a legitimate tactic. Sticking together is smarter than going solo in any team mode in the game.

Flood is based off of the idea of humans vs. zombies. Have you ever seen a movie or TV show or whatever where the humans run to the zombies and try to kill them? Have you ever seen a group of humans say “Poor zombies - this is too cheap” and split up in the interest of fairness? No…

The object of the game is to kill as many zombies as you can, and unless a glitch is being abused, I would say any tactic is fine. If you want all games to be fair, than go play FarmVille so you can give your friends coins and crops.

> Isn’t that sort of the point of Infection/Flood? Hole up as a group and survive?
>
> Infection is a zombie apocalypse. In a movie, what happens to the people that continue to move around vs the people that hole up?

Only this isn’t the zombie apocalypse.

There isn’t a horde of zombies outside trying to rip you apart. It’s three players.

And I don’t know about you, but I’m not a masochist who gets off on dying seven times for one kill.

> Complaining about camping in Flood/Infection is akin to complaining about people camping the flag while on defense in 1-Flag CTF. It doesn’t make much sense, but that’s just my opinion.

Only the flag isn’t placed in the optimal defense position.

And camping the flag means that offense can pry you out with Power Weapons.

Infection has never been good, unless it’s fat kid or any of those custom game types. The entire game mode in matchmaking consists of nothing but camping. Then you just run out of ammo and get killed. What’s so great about that?

It’s too balanced to be fun. The fun aspect is killing zombies, that’s why people like to play zombies because you get to slaughter hordes. But when your one of the horde it’s not fun.
I’ve always said that zombies should be weaker and easier to kill but killing a human should be worth more points. IE 1 point for a zombie kill and 10pts for a human kill.

> Flood is not Slayer. There are no rules to say that all players must constantly be walking around, and may in no circumstances group up in groups of 2 or more.
>
> Oh, wait, Slayer doesn’t have those rules either.

Slayer doesn’t play like a legless, blind limited puppy either.

> I’m tired of hearing people complain about things like this. Getting to high ground with several teammates is not cheap - it’s a legitimate tactic. Sticking together is smarter than going solo in any team mode in the game.

Depending on who is saying it’s legitimate and their definition, yes it’s ‘legitimate.’

It’s still not fun to fight.

> Flood is based off of the idea of humans vs. zombies. Have you ever seen a movie or TV show or whatever where the humans run to the zombies and try to kill them? Have you ever seen a group of humans say “Poor zombies - this is too cheap” and split up in the interest of fairness? No…

This isn’t a movie. This isn’t a TV show.

This is a video game.

Player participation is required. And people don’t want to participate if they aren’t having fun. Which means you have to make concessions. Everyone would like to spawn with the Rocket Launcher and Sniper Rifle while everyone else spawns with PPs.

But in the issue of fairness and balance, you don’t.

> The object of the game is to kill as many zombies as you can, and unless a glitch is being abused, I would say any tactic is fine. If you want all games to be fair, than go play FarmVille so you can give your friends coins and crops.

Tell me: Do you want to play when your opponents have an unfair advantage?

> Tell me: Do you want to play when your opponents have an unfair advantage?

If I have that same advantage when I’m on their side, yes.

> Isn’t that sort of the point of Infection/Flood? Hole up as a group and survive?
>
> Infection is a zombie apocalypse. In a movie, what happens to the people that continue to move around vs the people that hole up?
>
> Complaining about camping in Flood/Infection is akin to complaining about people camping the flag while on defense in 1-Flag CTF. It doesn’t make much sense, but that’s just my opinion.

I see what your getting at but in zombie films it’s the guys that hole up that get overrun. Night of the living dead started the trend. On topic though, the thrusters help with this slightly but we really need custom maps that take the play styles of the flood into account. In fact is there any news from 343 regarding adding custom maps into the match making fold?

> If I have that same advantage when I’m on their side, yes.

Good for you.

I’ll just resort to AFKing or quitting. (Hooray no Quit Ban! No punishment at all!)