Well Played 343, Well Played

So, it has been my opinion for awhile now, that the new additions that seemed (at the risk of being criticized for using this term) “CoD-like” were all part of a very strategical move by 343. The end goal being to attract a large part of the mainstream community (in other words, CoD or BF fans) while hoping to keep their existing fan base.

Let’s brake it down

By adding custom loadouts, infinity slayer reward drops, RPG-esque progression system, unlockable guns, skins etc., it’s safe to say 343 is attracting some new fans. If you’re familiar with the average CoD fan, they don’t really think about the balance between weapons and other aspects of the game, they simply get excited at newer, bigger, crazier weapons and new additions, no matter what the impact on the game is. (I really sincerely hope i’m not offending people by saying this. remember, i said “average CoD fan” not all of them.) So, what seems unbalanced, might seem attractive to those types of gamers.

Here is a quote from a Youtube comment on a video of Black Ops 2:

> Rushed This game didn’t even have a Year to be developed with This game Sucks and Is another Clone from Cod Halo 4 wins guys just face it…
>
> Lormosful 33 minutes ago

so, the grammar sucks, and its not entirely true that they only made the game in a year, but the thing to take away from it is that people are recognizing that CoD is rushed and stale and are leaning towards Halo. (Look, i know this could well be a Halo fan, but still, its worth noting i think)

So, they’ve attracted other fans…but those additions don’t sit well with some of the existing community. (this is where most of my speculations come into play. these are not facts. I however think them to be very probable)

343 have confirmed classic playlist(s). However, i think they will extend far more than the Halo Reach one. I think you’ll see games where you can’t choose custom loadouts, where there are no armour abilities, where there are no armour mods etc. Gametypes that resemble halo 3’s style of play (or even halo CE or halo 2 for that matter).

So, in conclusion, if 343 add enough options for their existing fans who are opposed to the changes, and attract enough new fans, they will have made an extremely successful game.

Let me know what you think of my ideas and please expand upon them if you have anything to add.
Thanks.

Disclaimer: Everything above is my personal opinions or my own speculations

Crearing a new Halo that keeps most current fans, but also widens the entrance for other gamers. Everyone, almost everyone, today loves customization and being unique. They love making things how they want it to be.

Halo 4 features that, but also keeping the balance and skill factors that keep it Halo.

A new Halo, but still Halo.

I agree, even though I don’t like to admit it, Halo 4 has some CoD characteristics. So what? It’s still HALO. You won’t die the second you spawn and take 3 steps forward(unless youre in SWAT)! You have Power Armor (that you can customize, unlike COD) and you have shields.

> So, what seems unbalanced, might seem attractive to those types of gamers.

…you mean like Halo players and their “one-gun” mentality?

This isn’t a franchise thing, it’s a console thing. If one weapon on a PC game makes every other weapon redundant, it’s considered overpowered and gets patched quickly or banned from most games. While on console, if one weapon makes every other weapon redundant, it’s considered “awesome” and only reserved for the truly “skillful” players.

> > So, what seems unbalanced, might seem attractive to those types of gamers.
>
> …you mean like Halo players and their “one-gun” mentality?
>
> This isn’t a franchise thing, it’s a console thing. If one weapon on a PC game makes every other weapon redundant, it’s considered overpowered and gets patched quickly or banned from most games. While on console, if one weapon makes every other weapon redundant, it’s considered “awesome” and only reserved for the truly “skillful” players.

Exactly. Different groups of gamers like different styles of games. A game that can successfully attract two different groups of gamers by including different elements (kinda like what halo 4 is doing) will be a very successful game.

> > > So, what seems unbalanced, might seem attractive to those types of gamers.
> >
> > …you mean like Halo players and their “one-gun” mentality?
> >
> > This isn’t a franchise thing, it’s a console thing. If one weapon on a PC game makes every other weapon redundant, it’s considered overpowered and gets patched quickly or banned from most games. While on console, if one weapon makes every other weapon redundant, it’s considered “awesome” and only reserved for the truly “skillful” players.
>
> Exactly. Different groups of gamers like different styles of games. A game that can successfully attract two different groups of gamers by including different elements (kinda like what halo 4 is doing) will be a very successful game.

…I don’t think you understand what I was saying.

> > > > So, what seems unbalanced, might seem attractive to those types of gamers.
> > >
> > > …you mean like Halo players and their “one-gun” mentality?
> > >
> > > This isn’t a franchise thing, it’s a console thing. If one weapon on a PC game makes every other weapon redundant, it’s considered overpowered and gets patched quickly or banned from most games. While on console, if one weapon makes every other weapon redundant, it’s considered “awesome” and only reserved for the truly “skillful” players.
> >
> > Exactly. Different groups of gamers like different styles of games. A game that can successfully attract two different groups of gamers by including different elements (kinda like what halo 4 is doing) will be a very successful game.
>
> …I don’t think you understand what I was saying.

Nobody does, lol.

> > > > So, what seems unbalanced, might seem attractive to those types of gamers.
> > >
> > >
> > > This isn’t a franchise thing, it’s a console thing. If one weapon on a PC game makes every other weapon redundant, it’s considered overpowered and gets patched quickly or banned from most games. While on console, if one weapon makes every other weapon redundant, it’s considered “awesome” and only reserved for the truly “skillful” players.
> >
> > Exactly. Different groups of gamers like different styles of games. A game that can successfully attract two different groups of gamers by including different elements (kinda like what halo 4 is doing) will be a very successful game.
>

He’s saying that a shotgun is less powerful at point-blank range than the 3-shot magnum (obviously false).

If you want redundant weapons, check out Reach. Plasma Repeater, anyone?

> > >
> > >
> >
>

Im pretty sure i understood what you were saying. I didn’t explain perfectly though. Halo doesn’t follow your example of console game OP weapons (even the power weapons are balanced). CoD does, and so even though i agree with your statement, i believe Halo to be an exception (and that’s where the hole “different groups of gamers” thing came from :P)

inless you were referring to me misunderstanding what i interpreted as your semi-rhetorical question (“one gun mentality” thing)…

Honestly I dont know why people b*tch about a game that will be release in 3 months!! Good Lord all this madness its caused (IMO) by those butt-hurt CoD under age n00bs that cant get over it, their inmatureness triggers massive troll waves all over the internet, brainwashing at certain point some Halo loyalist.
HALO 4 ISNT THE PERFECT GAME!! Perfection doesnt exist. GET OVER IT!
All this madness its caused by a couple of trailers and MULTIPLAYER GAMING that can be modified before be mass produced and shipped to all the store around the globe. We are still on the DEVELOPMENT stage, Microsoft and 343i can do changes at anytime becuase its their creation and isnt the first time on Game History that “last time additions/remove/changes” happend!
Like it or not we need to wait until the game comes out, test it, discuss, troll and enjoy.
Thanks!and sorry for my softcore venting lol

> Halo doesn’t follow your example of console game OP weapons (even the power weapons are balanced). CoD does, and so even though i agree with your statement, i believe Halo to be an exception (and that’s where the hole “different groups of gamers” thing came from :P)

No, Halo does. This has been up for debate since Halo: CE and the Magnum. Where there’s always been a weapon that has always been better then every other weapon.

The only difference Halo has over every other game is that vast amount of options we can tweak and play around with that can buff and nerf some weapons to a degree. Although that also brings up another problem with the Halo community, the players unwilling to test or be openminded to these changes and options.

> Honestly I dont know why people b*tch about a game that will be release in 3 months!! Good Lord all this madness its caused (IMO) by those butt-hurt CoD under age n00bs that cant get over it, their inmatureness triggers massive troll waves all over the internet, brainwashing at certain point some Halo loyalist.
> HALO 4 ISNT THE PERFECT GAME!! Perfection doesnt exist. GET OVER IT!
> All this madness its caused by a couple of trailers and MULTIPLAYER GAMING that can be modified before be mass produced and shipped to all the store around the globe. We are still on the DEVELOPMENT stage, Microsoft and 343i can do changes at anytime becuase its their creation and isnt the first time on Game History that “last time additions/remove/changes” happend!
> Like it or not we need to wait until the game comes out, test it, discuss, troll and enjoy.
> Thanks!and sorry for my softcore venting lol

you misunderstood the tone in my post. I was not trying to prove halo as the perfect game or prove CoD as a horrible one (they’re both very good games that appeal to different tastes).

My goal was simply to explain my theory as to why these changes are being made.

I extracted this ingenious comment on Youtube from the average CoD fan:

> READ THIS IS BEAST: At the start your mason’s son and your in a jell cell about to get killed then a flash bang stuns you you cant see nothing but you can hear gunshots…guess who arrives and rescues you… ghost because he never died in MW2 check on you tube and ghost wants revenge by killing the U.S army. And mason called ghost to save him and show him the way to the villains. THAT WILL BE BEAST!

I don’t want them in Halo. Ever.

> > Honestly I dont know why people b*tch about a game that will be release in 3 months!! Good Lord all this madness its caused (IMO) by those butt-hurt CoD under age n00bs that cant get over it, their inmatureness triggers massive troll waves all over the internet, brainwashing at certain point some Halo loyalist.
> > HALO 4 ISNT THE PERFECT GAME!! Perfection doesnt exist. GET OVER IT!
> > All this madness its caused by a couple of trailers and MULTIPLAYER GAMING that can be modified before be mass produced and shipped to all the store around the globe. We are still on the DEVELOPMENT stage, Microsoft and 343i can do changes at anytime becuase its their creation and isnt the first time on Game History that “last time additions/remove/changes” happend!
> > Like it or not we need to wait until the game comes out, test it, discuss, troll and enjoy.
> > Thanks!and sorry for my softcore venting lol
>
> you misunderstood the tone in my post. I was not trying to prove halo as the perfect game or prove CoD as a horrible one (they’re both very good games that appeal to different tastes).
>
> My goal was simply to explain my theory as to why these changes are being made.

Oh well my bad andI´m not venting you… jus the C0D loyalists and their trollin, but well you get my point on my last post lol

> I extracted this ingenious comment on Youtube from the average CoD fan:
>
>
>
> > READ THIS IS BEAST: At the start your mason’s son and your in a jell cell about to get killed then a flash bang stuns you you cant see nothing but you can hear gunshots…guess who arrives and rescues you… ghost because he never died in MW2 check on you tube and ghost wants revenge by killing the U.S army. And mason called ghost to save him and show him the way to the villains. THAT WILL BE BEAST!
>
> I don’t want them in Halo. Ever.

Good Lord! -face palm-

> > Halo doesn’t follow your example of console game OP weapons (even the power weapons are balanced). CoD does, and so even though i agree with your statement, i believe Halo to be an exception (and that’s where the hole “different groups of gamers” thing came from :P)
>
> No, Halo does. This has been up for debate since Halo: CE and the Magnum. Where there’s always been a weapon that has always been better then every other weapon.
>
> The only difference Halo has over every other game is that vast amount of options we can tweak and play around with that can buff and nerf some weapons to a degree. Although that also brings up another problem with the Halo community, the players unwilling to test or be openminded to these changes and options.

Okay, you are correct about the CE 3-shot pistol, but it was nerfed in the following games. What i mean is, the most current halo games didn’t have God-guns, so to speak. guns that make others redundant. Cod absolutely does as do many many other games. (im not trying to start a CoD vs Halo discussion, it is simply the game i know the most about other than halo, so i feel comfortable using it in examples.

where you quoted that guy, more than likely he was a Halo fan. HOWEVER, I’ve been seeing more and more and more people hate on CoD every month. just today, IGN made fun of MW3 on Facebook about it being a copy/paste and the “most hated game on the internet”. companies are starting to realize it. more and more and more people are starting to realize it. CoD is bad and ppl are getting tired of feeding CoD $60 for something they played last year. they want something new.

that’s where Halo 4 comes in. Halo 4 is CoD players’ answer, and they see that. (maybe not yet, but will soon enough). Halo 4 has stuff in CoD, but for the better. it’s still balanced, and fun, like Halo is. and hopefully competitive too. with Specializations, Custom Classes, Armor Mods, default Sprint, skins, hitmarkers, grenade indicators, progression, and maybe Personal Ordnance Drops, CoD players are drawn to it. replayability is higher.

but it keeps what Halo players love about Halo, but evolving, for the better. these new things for Halo that attract CoD are similar, yes, but nothing like them. they’re balanced, unlike CoD.

it seems like the old king, Halo 3, which is a positive. and even original Halo players that hate evolution, can still play Classic.

I see this as a win-win-win situation. 343i looks to be pulling it off. Greatly.

> where you quoted that guy, more than likely he was a Halo fan. HOWEVER, I’ve been seeing more and more and more people hate on CoD every month. just today, IGN made fun of MW3 on Facebook about it being a copy/paste and the “most hated game on the internet”. companies are starting to realize it. more and more and more people are starting to realize it. CoD is bad and ppl are getting tired of feeding CoD $60 for something they played last year. they want something new.
>
> that’s where Halo 4 comes in. Halo 4 is CoD players’ answer, and they see that. (maybe not yet, but will soon enough). Halo 4 has stuff in CoD, but for the better. it’s still balanced, and fun, like Halo is. and hopefully competitive too. with Specializations, Custom Classes, Armor Mods, default Sprint, skins, hitmarkers, grenade indicators, progression, and maybe Personal Ordnance Drops, CoD players are drawn to it. replayability is higher.
>
> but it keeps what Halo players love about Halo, but evolving, for the better. these new things for Halo that attract CoD are similar, yes, but nothing like them. they’re balanced, unlike CoD.
>
> it seems like the old king, Halo 3, which is a positive. and even original Halo players that hate evolution, can still play Classic.
>
> I see this as a win-win-win situation. 343i looks to be pulling it off. Greatly.

Exactly!!! :smiley:

Even some of my hard-core CoD loving friends are saying there gonna purchase Halo 4.
Edit: i thought the guy was probably a halo fan as well, but it was the symbolism more than anything. im glad you understood.

> > > Halo doesn’t follow your example of console game OP weapons (even the power weapons are balanced). CoD does, and so even though i agree with your statement, i believe Halo to be an exception (and that’s where the hole “different groups of gamers” thing came from :P)
> >
> > No, Halo does. This has been up for debate since Halo: CE and the Magnum. Where there’s always been a weapon that has always been better then every other weapon.
> >
> > The only difference Halo has over every other game is that vast amount of options we can tweak and play around with that can buff and nerf some weapons to a degree. Although that also brings up another problem with the Halo community, the players unwilling to test or be openminded to these changes and options.
>
> Okay, you are correct about the CE 3-shot pistol, but it was nerfed in the following games. What i mean is, the most current halo games didn’t have God-guns, so to speak. guns that make others redundant. Cod absolutely does as do many many other games. (im not trying to start a CoD vs Halo discussion, it is simply the game i know the most about other than halo, so i feel comfortable using it in examples.

No, he’s not correct. He just doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

> > > > Halo doesn’t follow your example of console game OP weapons (even the power weapons are balanced). CoD does, and so even though i agree with your statement, i believe Halo to be an exception (and that’s where the hole “different groups of gamers” thing came from :P)
> > >
> > > No, Halo does. This has been up for debate since Halo: CE and the Magnum. Where there’s always been a weapon that has always been better then every other weapon.
> > >
> > > The only difference Halo has over every other game is that vast amount of options we can tweak and play around with that can buff and nerf some weapons to a degree. Although that also brings up another problem with the Halo community, the players unwilling to test or be openminded to these changes and options.
> >
> > Okay, you are correct about the CE 3-shot pistol, but it was nerfed in the following games. What i mean is, the most current halo games didn’t have God-guns, so to speak. guns that make others redundant. Cod absolutely does as do many many other games. (im not trying to start a CoD vs Halo discussion, it is simply the game i know the most about other than halo, so i feel comfortable using it in examples.
>
> No, he’s not correct. He just doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

LOL, now that i think about it, ya. it took a large amout of skill to get the 3-shot. it was hard and that made it balanced