Well Halo is done with being an Arena Shooter

What is it now? Now it’s becoming just some generic shooter.

Something that constantly irks me is of how one particular type of game seems to be breathing its last weak sighs; the arena shooter.

The modern mentality coupled with “everyone else is doing it” has led the Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Ghost Recon franchises to momentous heights, and in my opinion, it’s hammering the final nail into the coffin of one of gaming’s most cherished pastimes.

Everything was balanced with an Arena Shooter. You started with the same weapons. You didn’t have perks or abilities that other people didn’t use or have access to.

Sure other franchises make money when they go against those features but is it worth it knowing you published a game that was the same as another game that was released not to long ago?

Halo was the quake of consoles. I wish 343 would have realized that to be different you had to be the same.

sad, isn’t it ?

The difference with Halo 4 is, if you want it to be, it can still be an Arena Shooter.

Hopefully the classic playlists in H4 will be up to snuff.

> The difference with Halo 4 is, if you want it to be, it can still be an Arena Shooter.

But not at default

Arena shooters are starting to feel dated really, they are past now time to look ahead.

No, Halo is still an arena shooter. It’s just that it’s also a class-based shooter, a sports game, a racing game, and more!

> > The difference with Halo 4 is, if you want it to be, it can still be an Arena Shooter.
>
> But not at default

It makes more sense for the game to be more intrinsic by default rather than more stripped down by default. It’s natural progression, except Halo still ALLOWS it to be played as an Arena Shooter.

> > > The difference with Halo 4 is, if you want it to be, it can still be an Arena Shooter.
> >
> > But not at default
>
> It makes more sense for the game to be more intrinsic by default rather than more stripped down by default. It’s natural progression, except Halo still ALLOWS it to be played as an Arena Shooter.

So did Reach and it played horrible

> > > > The difference with Halo 4 is, if you want it to be, it can still be an Arena Shooter.
> > >
> > > But not at default
> >
> > It makes more sense for the game to be more intrinsic by default rather than more stripped down by default. It’s natural progression, except Halo still ALLOWS it to be played as an Arena Shooter.
>
> So did Reach and it played horrible

The new elements were implemented improperly. It was a misstep for Bungie. That doesn’t mean these new elements are inherently “horrible.” I feel 343i knows what they’re doing; if I want to play the good old Arena Shooter Halo, I’ll pop in Halo 2/3 or play custom games on Halo 4.

> Arena shooters are starting to feel dated really, they are past now time to look ahead.

The first game I really got in to was Halo, so they don’t feel dated to me at all. Halo feels so awesome because its different from all the other shooters out there. Every game is way to similar now because they all feel the same. That is why I play Halo, its the only game that feels different and not so damn over rated.

Truthfully, its a loadout-based Arena shooter now.

I wouldn’t say it’s gone as an arena shooter. Just a little different of an arena shooter compared to past Halos.

> > > > > The difference with Halo 4 is, if you want it to be, it can still be an Arena Shooter.
> > > >
> > > > But not at default
> > >
> > > It makes more sense for the game to be more intrinsic by default rather than more stripped down by default. It’s natural progression, except Halo still ALLOWS it to be played as an Arena Shooter.
> >
> > So did Reach and it played horrible
>
> The new elements were implemented improperly. It was a misstep for Bungie. That doesn’t mean these new elements are inherently “horrible.” I feel 343i knows what they’re doing; if I want to play the good old Arena Shooter Halo, I’ll pop in Halo 2/3 or play custom games on Halo 4.

If you wanted to play a game with perks, custom loadouts, and large maps just for 4v4 you can play CoD or BF.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> > > > > > The difference with Halo 4 is, if you want it to be, it can still be an Arena Shooter.
> > > > >
> > > > > But not at default
> > > >
> > > > It makes more sense for the game to be more intrinsic by default rather than more stripped down by default. It’s natural progression, except Halo still ALLOWS it to be played as an Arena Shooter.
> > >
> > > So did Reach and it played horrible
> >
> > The new elements were implemented improperly. It was a misstep for Bungie. That doesn’t mean these new elements are inherently “horrible.” I feel 343i knows what they’re doing; if I want to play the good old Arena Shooter Halo, I’ll pop in Halo 2/3 or play custom games on Halo 4.
>
> If you wanted to play a game with perks, custom loadouts, and large maps just for 4v4 you can play CoD or BF.

That didn’t make sense or relate to what I said at all, so I’m just going to assume you’re slow and take my leave.

> > > > > > > The difference with Halo 4 is, if you want it to be, it can still be an Arena Shooter.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > But not at default
> > > > >
> > > > > It makes more sense for the game to be more intrinsic by default rather than more stripped down by default. It’s natural progression, except Halo still ALLOWS it to be played as an Arena Shooter.
> > > >
> > > > So did Reach and it played horrible
> > >
> > > The new elements were implemented improperly. It was a misstep for Bungie. That doesn’t mean these new elements are inherently “horrible.” I feel 343i knows what they’re doing; if I want to play the good old Arena Shooter Halo, I’ll pop in Halo 2/3 or play custom games on Halo 4.
> >
> > If you wanted to play a game with perks, custom loadouts, and large maps just for 4v4 you can play CoD or BF.
>
> That didn’t make sense or relate to what I said at all, so I’m just going to assume you’re slow and take my leave.

I used the same logic you used in your previous post.

> The modern mentality coupled with “everyone else is doing it” has led the Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Ghost Recon franchises to momentous heights, and in my opinion, it’s hammering the final nail into the coffin of one of gaming’s most cherished pastimes.

If it’s so cherished, why is it going away?

> > The modern mentality coupled with “everyone else is doing it” has led the Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Ghost Recon franchises to momentous heights, and in my opinion, it’s hammering the final nail into the coffin of one of gaming’s most cherished pastimes.
>
> If it’s so cherished, why is it going away?

Because of the new generation of gamers that need crutches to help them play.

Oh well…

Maybe it’s just me that still sees the halo in Halo 4 and thinks Halo 4 is still unique despite the changes. Yes, come at me with perks and loadouts, but it still has the halo concept and gameplay. It doesn’t play one bit like cod (though there are similar ideas), but opinions are opinions. I’ll be enjoying halo till the last game… having more good times.

You can only play the same game so many times before it gets boring, all franchises and genres evolve.

Halo 3 was boring and stale, if Reach hadn’t introduced new features I wouldn’t have bought it. It’s the reason I don’t buy Call of Duty or Madden games anymore, they are the exact same, they need to change to be fun again.