Weekly challenge progression is awful

Obviously everyone has different preferences/commitments in life. One problem with the progression and challenges is how do you reward everyone? I think the weekly rewards is a great way to do that with a little tweaking.

I think it would be great for players to be able to choose a different track of challenges for the weekly reward. There could be 2 or 3 tracks; a fast track and a high xp track (and maybe somewhere in between).
1- fast track - If you are a player that only plays a couple time a week (maybe 6-10 hours a week total) you would want to select the fast track. The challenges in this track would be the easier ones that you could complete all weeklies in just 4-6 hours.
2- high xp track - players that play a lot (maybe 20-30 hours a week total) would want to pick this track. The challenges in this track would be the harder ones that would take 15-20 hours to compete the weeklies.

I think this would better tailor the rewards for a players time commitment. Play a little? You can still get the weekly. Play a lot? Go get those high xp challenges to more quickly get though the battle pass.

As it stands now, you can’t get the weekly unless you either get real lucky with challenges or no-life your week.

1 Like

I prefer just do not implement so stupid challenges.
Like "hey you need to win Oddball “Have fun playing 10 matches and have just one match there oddball and you have to win but that can be more than hard because your teammates quit because they need another gamemode - or just don’t play objective lol”

4 Likes

Challenges aren’t going anywhere. Certainly they can be improved, and hopefully they are. Even with better challenges I think this idea would be great for everyone.

1 Like

(Post deleted - oops)

I think 343 may not totally like this idea since it could be perceived as potentially reducing the incentive to buy swaps. My counter to that is that for those that are hopelessly far from the weekly reward are probably not purchasing the swaps anyways, so this could potentially boost swap purchases for those players.

1 Like

I just realized, if we finish the battle pass there will not be a way to get challenge swaps.

Oh of course I can buy some.

One problem with the progression and challenges is how do you reward everyone?

I want to address this first: Why should everyone be able to earn the weekly ultimate You’re starting from a premise that the weekly ultimate should be something inclusive, whereas I see the weekly ultimate as a reward to dedicated players. So I honestly don’t care if casual players find it challenging to earn.

THAT SAID.

I think an easier solution that would solve the problem for both casual and dedicated players is:

Make the weekly ultimate active before you complete the rest of your challenges, and add the requirement that all challenges, including the weekly ultimate, be completed to earn the reward

What would this accomplish? Well if your weekly ultimate was to earn, say, 20 multi-kill medals and it was tracking the whole time you were doing the rest of your challenges, then by the time you knock everything else out, you’ve either made decent progress toward your ultimate, or you’ve already completed it.

It is a bit annoying to sit down in the final days of the week to complete your challenges, only to see a somewhat daunting weekly ultimate that you might’ve actually already completed that week.

1 Like

I have to say that is an excellent solution.

I suppose the problem I’m really trying to solve is that (from what I’ve gathered on the forums) the unlocks in the battle pass are not very rewarding to most players (on the forums anyways). So, players are going nuts with the weekly challenges to just try and unlock something more.
If the battle pass had more to give to ftp and payers alike, then I think those with less time to play wouldn’t feel like they are missing out on much.

I like your idea of the capstone challenge always being active, but I don’t see how it really helps the casual gamer that will never complete all the other time consuming/difficult challenges. But, to your initial point, maybe that’s fine. Too bad, so sad.

1 Like

Major improvements are needed many of the challenges are too hard ot too specific and have nothing to do with gameplay… making people quit games, not play objectives… etc.

I like your idea of the capstone challenge always being active, but I don’t see how it really helps the casual gamer that will never complete all the other time consuming/difficult challenges

This is my problem with general feedback on video games. The problem is that there are some challenges that absolutely suck and need to be tuned. Your proposed solution is to create an entirely new system with new tech and balancing considerations. My solution would be to just tune the problem challenges to make them not suck.

1 Like

My suggestion is far from an entirely new system. There are already different difficulty levels on the challenges, hence the same task with different requirement levels and xp levels (you’ll also notice the different colors). I’m suggesting to let the player choose which difficulty level the system pulls from when randomly selecting challenges. 1) All easy, 2) All hard, or 3) a mix similar to what we currently have.
Of course I agree that the challenges need some tuning, obviously this requires balancing considerations as well, even for your suggestion.

My suggestion is far from an entirely new system.

It absolutely is.

“I think it would be great for players to be able to choose a different track of challenges for the weekly reward.”

“I’m suggesting to let the player choose which difficulty level the system pulls from when randomly selecting challenges. 1) All easy, 2) All hard, or 3) a mix similar to what we currently have.”

This is a new system that does. Not. Exist. You’d need an engineer to prototype this and set it up.

I could make the changes in the code in less than a day, assuming 343s programming isn’t totally fubar. The UI could take some time, I don’t really have experience with that. Sure there’s more work than just removing or tweaking the problematic challenges (I agree this needs to happen regardless), but it’s not like 343 would need to scrap everything and start over.

I could make the changes in the code in less than a day

No you couldn’t. You’re telling me that in less than an 8-hour day, from scratch, you can set up a system that has three settings, each of which pulls in different challenges based on difficulty, AND go through their existing code and fix all the places that won’t play nice with your new system?

I don’t believe you at all.

1 Like

Yes, because I wouldn’t be doing it from scratch. The system is already pulling a specific number of challenges from each difficulty tier. I’m simply modifying the code to change how it picks the challenges based on a new variable defined by the player. I would hope there are already parameters in place to fine tune the balancing based on testing and player feedback.

I still don’t buy this. You have no idea how the challenge system works and I guarantee you’d spend a whole day (minimum) going over the code before you could even start making changes.

I’m simply alerting the code to change how it picks the challenges based on a new variable defined by the player.

This is a new system. If you scroll back up and read what I wrote, I said that making new systems isn’t the right approach when a designer could just go in and tweak the problem challenges.

I’m not an engineer, but I’ve been in enough planning meetings to know that whenever an engineer who is intimately familiar with a game says something will take 1 day, they actually mean its a 2-3 day job. You haven’t even looked at the code.

You’re right, I’ve never seen it, and my estimates are based on assumptions of how i would have set up the initial system. We’ve gotten a little off track.
My point is that it is a modification to the existing system. Sure, it’s not simple tweaking and tuning, but it’s a change that gives the player more choice in how to play rather than 343 dictating it to us.

Edit: sorry for the autocorrect error in my last post (I meant modifying the code, not alerting the code. Not sure how that made it in there)

1 Like

i did this weekly challenge in one day. granted I have no life.

1 Like