Weapons on maps NEED to return

Opinion Time!

If you ask me, weapons need to be strategically placed on the map like all past halos. I don’t like the idea of random drops after giving them a fair shot after a year (almost) of playing Halo 4. Personally, I’d want classes gone as well but that’s an entirely different conversation. Weapons on the map give the game an entirely different feel where certain locations in the map directly correlate with a weapon spawn.

In the past, I could refer to a location as “sniper spawn” and for any player who has a decent amount of experience with that given Halo game and that player would know exactly where I’m talking about. It gave maps a different flow and filtered players to specific locations at different times in the game.

With this system, you were aware of your surroundings and what possible weapons your enemy had. If the rocket launcher was missing from its spot you knew that it either hasn’t spawned yet or an enemy team member picked up and you should be on the look out. With personal ordinance drops, you were not able to figure out what your enemy had until you either encounter the or get killed by them unexpectedly. They added a random element to the game.

Please understand, I want Halo to evolve and move forward. Halo needs to change and become the game that sets the bar with its innovation. I loved Halo 3 and yes, at times I may be blinded by nostalgia. All that aside, I still feel it’s crucial to halos evolution to have weapon pick ups on the map. This should have never been removed from game.

I’m sure there are those who agree with me and those who disagree but how do you feel about returning to weapon pick ups? Let me know below.

I agree, and not for the sake of call-outs, but more for the sake of variety, map feel, and for filling in space.

When Halo 4 launched, as much as I love it and always have fun with it, I always felt like the maps were kind of empty without any weapons hanging around.

When Legendary Slayer launched, the weapons on map came back and it felt like an entirely different game, and I loved it.

I’d really enjoy a return to having set power weapon locations, and loadout / utility weapons scattered around the map.

> I agree, and not for the sake of call-outs, but more for the sake of variety, map feel, and for filling in space.
>
> When Halo 4 launched, as much as I love it and always have fun with it, I always felt like the maps were kind of empty without any weapons hanging around.
>
> When Legendary Slayer launched, the weapons on map came back and it felt like an entirely different game, and I loved it.
>
> I’d really enjoy a return to having set power weapon locations, and loadout / utility weapons scattered around the map.

Call outs were the example that first came to mind among many reasons. Map variety is another huge point that really do fill space. In all honesty, the selection of weapons on a map along with their placement can make or break a map.

The maps in halo 4 have a lot if empty space without a doubt. Legendary slayer helped a lot but I wish that was the standard across the board. When I played it for the first time, it really gave me a classic Halo feel.

Loadouts/Utility weapons scattered around the map would be ideal opposed to armor abilities, but that’s just my opinion as I have always preferred equipment to Loadouts.

I definitely agree, as anyone could probably guess. I don’t think I need to tell why. Although I don’t mind doing it if someone specifically asks (or says something I disagree with).

> I definitely agree, as anyone could probably guess. I don’t think I need to tell why. Although I don’t mind doing it if someone specifically asks (or says something I disagree with).

I figured you would in all honesty haha. I’m sure I’ve read why before in one of your posts, but I would still love to hear your input just to see if theres any points in mind I’m currently missing.

> > I definitely agree, as anyone could probably guess. I don’t think I need to tell why. Although I don’t mind doing it if someone specifically asks (or says something I disagree with).
>
> I figured you would in all honesty haha. I’m sure I’ve read why before in one of your posts, but I would still love to hear your input just to see if theres any points in mind I’m currently missing.

Well, my main reasons why statically spawning weapons are better than the current system are control and predictability. From the perspective of depth, I think everything eventually boils down to these two factors. You were kind of going for it when you described how map based weapons allow you to know that someone has a power weapon. (And if you know it’s not in your team, you know the opponent has a weapon, and you need to watch out for that.)

But moreover, you can also prevent the opponent from getting the power weapon in the first place. If you know it’s spawn rate, you can beat your opponent to it. If your opponent knows the spawn rate too, you probably need to compete for control of the location as the weapon is about to spawn. It’s very straightforward: either you get the weapon or the opponent gets the weapon and it’s your fault. There is no randomness in that process, it all boils down to your skill.

This has interesting implications because having different weapons spawn at different locations at different, known times forces players to move actively around the map and control as much of the strategic locations as possible. In contrast: when you don’t have these static power weapons, players gravitate towards the most advantageous position on the map and from there on, they have no reason to move. Gameplay becomes less dynamic and the importance of strategic skill is diminished.

It’s the patterns in the system that allow us to study its behavior. In a competitive game, there is a human factor at the other end of the system. For the game to be competitive, only randomness should be the human at the other end. The system itself should be complex, but ultimately controllable and predictable. (Controllability demands predictability.)

Yes so much yes, I’m sick and tired of the new style of game maps that have no weapons on the map, I miss weapons spawning on the maps, I miss having to hunt for them.

Also for the hell of it,

FIRST NONE MONITOR TO REPLY!

Monitor C-C-C-Counter Breaker!!!

It’s not so much all gametypes but the majority of core games, such as non-Invasion Slayer & Objectives like CTF/Flagnum, Ricochet/Oddball and even Regicide (examples in gametypes).

Invasion/Dominion gametypes can have a modified version of POD’s but shouldn’t allow for PW’s in most cases.

For the reasons mentioned by tsassi.

The sandbox depth is there in Halo4 but the way Infinity Slayer randomises PW’s in POD’s and on map, well the strategic depth is removed due to too many viable options randomly showing up.

(And when I say weapons, I mean heavy and power class/type, not loadout class/type. I am for loadout weapons spread out the map for ammo purposes but not actual pickup purposes.)

> I agree, and not for the sake of call-outs, but more for the sake of variety, map feel, and for filling in space.
>
> When Halo 4 launched, as much as I love it and always have fun with it, I always felt like the maps were kind of empty without any weapons hanging around.
>
> When Legendary Slayer launched, the weapons on map came back and it felt like an entirely different game, and I loved it.
>
> I’d really enjoy a return to having set power weapon locations, and loadout / utility weapons scattered around the map.

Absolutely. It’s also quite annoying to run out of ammo and have to try to scavenge dead players’ bodies for ammo. I want to just run over to a set spot!

> FIRST NONE MONITOR TO REPLY!

Well, since you posted, that means it’s safe for everyone to post and not just Monitors, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

I totally agree with all the points that have been made so far. I don’t usually know callouts for most maps, but I knew weapon spawns, so I could say “at Sniper/Shotgun/whatever spawn” and people would get it. The maps do feel pretty empty with only the occasional power weapon too. Anything that reduces the randomness of the game is a good thing! I honestly can’t think of any disadvantage to having weapons on the map.

To be honest, above everything else, above all the flaws Halo 4 may or may not have, this is the deal breaker. If Halo 5 comes back with another personal ordinance system in core playlists like Slayer, even if it is a more balanced weapon tier system, I probably won’t buy Halo 5. Map weapons are as much Halo to me as shields.

I’m not opposed to the system evolving. I’m an advocate of static timer drop spawns, I am even not opposed to the waypoints since they do not detract from the meta game and believe a wave based map ordinance system might be quite interesting but I draw a line at personal and random ordinance.

It seems like 343 is more likely to have some gametypes that have map pick ups than to completely have every gametype to be map pick ups.

I concur. I don’t mind weapon drops on the map because at least it’s consistent, as well as there being a reason for a ‘plot’ that MP is actually simulated training. So the weapon drops are AI-based drops and whatnot…But at the same time, it lacks the feel that helps make Halo unique. Being an arena shooter is what made Halo feel like Halo while loadout-only weapons felt proper for CoD and BF.

In the next Halo, I’d love to see the return of on-map weapons. If the biggest reason why 343 did what they did for Halo 4 is because of map balance, maybe they should adjust the maps instead. Since I dont know about you guys, but in Ragnarok, whoever holds the center will likely win regardless of weapons being dropped or the maps. So the weapon layout should be more traditional IMO.

> Monitor C-C-C-Counter Breaker!!![/color
[/quote]
Quoted because you just reminded me how hyped I am for Killer Instinct.

> It seems like 343 is more likely to have some gametypes that have map pick ups than to completely have every gametype to be map pick ups.

I think it’s important that 343i works toward a consistent core gameplay style. They cannot please everyone. Otherwise, transitioning from playlist to playlist runs the risk of blurring the lines of the game’s identity since the features in each are so vastly different from one another. Maybe I’m wrong.

I recently changed my mind about advocating both Infinity and Traditional features in the same game. I think if both styles are supported, neither will live up to their potential.

To quote John Lennon:

“Trying to please everybody is impossible - if you did that, you’d end up in the middle with nobody liking you. You’ve just got to make the decision about what you think is your best, and do it.”

My opinion? On-map weapons. No ordnance markers.

That’s a lotta monitors…

But agreed 110%

I just don’t see core Halo game play coming back. The Halo for Xbox One will probably try to build on Halo 4 while more or less ignoring previous titles. I’m sure Infinity will be pushed even stronger with the promise of more customizations haha.

343 seems to want to build their own version of Halo. I want to be optimistic and hope the next entry in the series will be amazing but I’m still left with lingering doubt.

Weapons on the map helped the game feel like Halo again. Since they re-added the weapons, I don’t see them removing them again. We’ll have to see though.

Who be taken my weapons?

Wow… I didn’t expect to make a thread that for once, EVERYONE who has replied so far seems to share the same opinion… Hell of the 17 people who voted, 100% agree with me.

> Yes so much yes, I’m sick and tired of the new style of game maps that have no weapons on the map, I miss weapons spawning on the maps, I miss having to hunt for them.
>
> Also for the hell of it,
>
> FIRST NONE MONITOR TO REPLY!

Yeaaaaaaaa… not sure how this started off as a monitor thread… I just started making threads again and did not expect this to happen. I blame Paul :stuck_out_tongue:

> Weapons on the map helped the game feel like Halo again. Since they re-added the weapons, I don’t see them removing them again. We’ll have to see though.

In all honesty, I don’t have a lot of optimism that weapon drops will return either but I’m currently hoping for the best. Halo plays so much better when weapons need to be scavenged for, even in Halo 4. Mind you things like the flinch feature should be removed as well but Im sticking to just weapons in this thread.

Just to add in, earning ammo in POD’s for whatever non-heavy/powerweapon I may have is cool by me.
Especially in Invasion/Dominion gametypes.