Weapons need to have multiple functions to remove niches and add skill

Edit:let this thread die

IMO this idea is good, but it dosen’t seem HALO style

more like CoD style

the counter is using cover to your advantage, useing vehicles, and having 2 DIFFERENT weapons for different occasions

Ex. Shotty and a DMR
sniper and a mag/AR
SPlaser and an AR

> I think niche weapons are realy bad for halo, limiting a player to what he can and cannot do simple because of his weapon.

I’m going to assume you haven’t liked any of the previous Halos, then.

Halo is ALL about niche weapons, minus the one utilitarian gun. That’s just how it works. It has worked and will continue to work. Your suggestion will actually do more of what you do not like. Players should have to work for the power weapons. They don’t need to spawn with a random gun that can sniper people and launch grenades.

The whole point of the niche/ power weapons is to give players an advantage in some specific way, while forcing them to actually use it in an effective manner. Removing them is basically saying that half of the sandbox is pointless, rather than encouraging teamwork and tactics.

> > I think niche weapons are realy bad for halo, limiting a player to what he can and cannot do simple because of his weapon.
>
> I’m going to assume you haven’t liked any of the previous Halos, then.
>
> Halo is ALL about niche weapons, minus the one utilitarian gun. That’s just how it works. It has worked and will continue to work. Your suggestion will actually do more of what you do not like. Players should have to work for the power weapons. They don’t need to spawn with a random gun that can sniper people and launch grenades.

It may have always been intended, but until Reach and somewhat H3, theres been a starting weapon that was versatile at all ranges. The magnum in CE had a .9 second kill time. The H2 Br could kill in like 1.1 with the button combos, So dont say i dont like halo. Halo has not actualy had effective niches until Reach.

According to your logic, why not just start people off with spikers? that will make it harder and make powerweapons even more powerful! Heck why not even make a no weapon option!

Also dont take the COD approach to alternate functions. It wont be a stupid gernade attachment or sniper shot. It would be an alternate usage for the same basic weapon to make it more effective at a range and to speed up gameplay

I also made no reference to the power of what the guns should be.

> The whole point of the niche/ power weapons is to give players an advantage in some specific way, while forcing them to actually use it in an effective manner. Removing them is basically saying that half of the sandbox is pointless, rather than encouraging teamwork and tactics.

It does NOT encourage teamwork, and thats a fact.
Also, if you consider camping with a shotgun a tactic, then sure your right. But that still doesnt change the fact it limits the pace of the game.

> IMO this idea is good, but it dosen’t seem HALO style
>
> more like CoD style
>
> the counter is using cover to your advantage, useing vehicles, and having 2 DIFFERENT weapons for different occasions
>
> Ex. Shotty and a DMR
> sniper and a mag/AR
> SPlaser and an AR

True, but it isnt that simple. If i have a shotty and a DMR, im going to use a shotgun, and im going to camp. Why you ask? Because the shotty is more powerful in its niche and i would have the upper hand.

Its not too related to cod as it would be the same basic function and not be an “attachment” Take the current GL’s 2 functions. Both extremely similar, but usuable in different ways.

I always thought niche weapons was what Halo was about. You have shotgun for close range. Snipe for long range. This is how it works right?

> I always thought niche weapons was what Halo was about. You have shotgun for close range. Snipe for long range. This is how it works right?

In vanila reach, yes. In h2/h1 and Reach post-patch (and somewhat in H3), no.

> True, but it isnt that simple. If i have a shotty and a DMR, im going to use a shotgun, and im going to camp. Why you ask? Because the shotty is more powerful in its niche and i would have the upper hand.

Which is the basic principle and concept for a lot of the niche weapons. It’s a core pillar of the Halo multiplayer sandbox.

You get a weapon which plays to a certain strentgh, and you play TO that strength.

> > True, but it isnt that simple. If i have a shotty and a DMR, im going to use a shotgun, and im going to camp. Why you ask? Because the shotty is more powerful in its niche and i would have the upper hand.
>
>
> Which is the basic principle and concept for a lot of the niche weapons. It’s a core pillar of the Halo multiplayer sandbox.
>
> You get a weapon which plays to a certain strentgh, and you play TO that strength.

So you enjoy being left out of a fight because you spawn with an AR or being camped to death by a Shotgun dude?

Not only that, its only been the principle for h3 and reach, ask anyone who was good with combos in h2.

> > > True, but it isnt that simple. If i have a shotty and a DMR, im going to use a shotgun, and im going to camp. Why you ask? Because the shotty is more powerful in its niche and i would have the upper hand.
> >
> >
> > Which is the basic principle and concept for a lot of the niche weapons. It’s a core pillar of the Halo multiplayer sandbox.
> >
> > You get a weapon which plays to a certain strentgh, and you play TO that strength.
>
> So you enjoy being left out of a fight because you spawn with an AR or being camped to death by a Shotgun dude?
>
> Not only that, its only been the principle for h3 and reach, ask anyone who was good with combos in h2.

Halo CE and 2’s niche weapons were overshadowed by the Magnum and BR respectively. The idea of a utility weapon is one which is good enough to keep you alive on spawn, but not if you come across a niche weapon in its element or a power weapon. It’s meant to be good enough to use, but not so much you shouldn’t trade it out if it suits you. The idea of Reach’s sandbox is that every weapon should have it’s own role, although a lot of the time the DMR acts as the end-all rather than a utility weapon.

And left out of a fight? You’re never without some sort of option. Creative thinking and all that. And you can get kills with an AR.

Weapons should not have multiple functions if it is in the sense of a grenade launcher on the Assult Rifle. But if it were something like being able to detonate a rocket in the air like the grenade launcher then that would probably add a new layer to matchmaking and force players to think of new ways to use the weapons that they have or use different strategy when confronting these weapons.