Weapons for the next Halo game

While i love the AR and SMG they seem kinda dated for a game thats set in the future. Both of them just dont seem useful at the higher game levels. Then i had an idea while watching the show Sons of Guns. On the show they were asked to take hands the best AR design, AK-47, and do what had never been done with it before. Internally suppress it. They managed to do it while having the AK-47 keep everything is known for. That made me ask myself why dont they have AR’s in the future that are just as good or better?

I would love for the next Halo game to have an AR and SMG that followed that example. Some might say well the SMG alrdy got one in ODST. While it did it also got the AR curse…very weak at higher levels of the game. I want these 2 weapons to being useful at all levels of the game. An AR is a multipurpose weapon in the military. I was in the Army so i have first had knowledge of this. Then i got another idea…why not have a control to switch the AR and SMG for semi to full auto.

This came to me when i remembered that there is one only 1 button on the dpad that has been used. I say to have up on the dpad make the weapon switch to semi auto (thats single shot for those who dont know) and have down on the dpad be full auto. This would give both the AR and SMG more use in higher game levels.

Thank you for reading and plz tell me what you think.

You really should look into the lore more often. Gameplay mechanics and lore are 2 different things.

The AR is actually a battle rifle and closer to an AK-47 than it is to a M16 or G36C. The Halo AR fires 7.62mm NATO rounds.

The SMG is actually an AR and is closer to the AK-74u than it is to an MP5 or P90. The SMG fires 5.55mm rifled rounds (meaning they spin and maintain their accuracy longer. As well as a few other great traits).

The AR and SMG are meant to fit the One Handed and Two Handed FullAuto short-range and close-range weapon roles.

That they do not perform well at higher players levels is an MP issue, not a campaign issue.

But the main reason they don’t fit into higher levels of play is because a weapon with 1000 needles of pain is not the weapon of choice when it doesn’t register headshots.

Over on the MP page, I did put up a suggestion for a “competitive minded” player. I use the term loosely though. It does appear that there are some Halo players that can’t think beyond 1 weapon metagames. They need a weapon that can be used across all the ranges with no thought to possible situation variables. So I suggested something along the lines of the E3 H2 BR or a variable select/scope weapon for those can’t think, merely point and shoot quickly (ok and bunny hop + crouch while doing that).

Wanna hear something crazy? Because by default design of the Mjolnir suit, a shotgun is actually 100% ineffective against any part ofthe suit, say for a shot to the visor itself.

That, and human ballistic weapons are extremely weak against energy shields. They shouldn’t do nearly as much damage against shields as they do.

Gameplay mechanics.

> You really should look into the lore more often. Gameplay mechanics and lore are 2 different things.
>
> The AR is actually a battle rifle and closer to an AK-47 than it is to a M16 or G36C. The Halo AR fires 7.62mm NATO rounds.
>
> The SMG is actually an AR and is closer to the AK-74u than it is to an MP5 or P90. The SMG fires 5.55mm rifled rounds (meaning they spin and maintain their accuracy longer. As well as a few other great traits).
>
> The AR and SMG are meant to fit the One Handed and Two Handed FullAuto short-range and close-range weapon roles.
>
> That they do not perform well at higher players levels is an MP issue, not a campaign issue.
>
> But the main reason they don’t fit into higher levels of play is because a weapon with 1000 needles of pain is not the weapon of choice when it doesn’t register headshots.
>
> Over on the MP page, I did put up a suggestion for a “competitive minded” player. I use the term loosely though. It does appear that there are some Halo players that can’t think beyond 1 weapon metagames. They need a weapon that can be used across all the ranges with no thought to possible situation variables. So I suggested something along the lines of the E3 H2 BR or a variable select/scope weapon for those can’t think, merely point and shoot quickly (ok and bunny hop + crouch while doing that).

Wonderful feedback! I think its both a campaign and MP issuse tbh. How often do you use an AR on Heroic and Ledgendary? Honestly you dont because it takes like 4 full clips to bring an Elites sheilds down. I just think the AR and SMG should be more useful in both instances is all.

It’s PP and precision weapon on Legendary for me most times. Usually just both Pistols.

I feel Reach was made well with its selection of enemies. Most of the game, true, precision and plasma pistol is the way to go. But then you get to the Brutes. Suddenly some of those seemingly useless weapons become shredders. In the meantime, you can conserve precision ammo by taking out Skirmishers and Grunts with an AR if you don’t have a heavy or plasma based weapon.

The AR and Spiker are great against Brutes. It’s not that it’s easier to use the DMR on their skulls, it’s that I can use the AR to kill them from very far away. Or even use their own Spikers against them with little to no regard for ammo at short range.

Having a weapon that makes you feel like a god is something we all like, BFG anyone? But lets be honest, when you design a videogame weapon to work like an Abrams tank’s weapon system… is it really the operator’s crew/player that is skilled for seeing the enemy or is it hat the system needs an operator/player just to simply hit “fire” to function?

What I liked about the weapons in Reach, the alien weapons felt very Turok 1 and 2ish in design and function. They felt like a weird pieces of technology that worked through power and intimidation rather than efficient function.

Lets make a weapon called the gauss emitterrrr!!!

Simply sounds like a mac round from reach (i hated the mac round from reach, didnt seem as much powerful).

A fully automatic Battle Rifle would be beast. But only for Campaign; it goes back to three bullets in Multiplayer.

why not use old halo 2 mechanics were the br was SUPOSSED to be 1 shot scope and 3 shot non scope.

Hopefully the next Halo game will have a balance between the UNSC and Covenant weapons. Every game that has been made by Bungie has had advantages to Spartans.

> Hopefully the next Halo game will have a balance between the UNSC and Covenant weapons. Every game that has been made by Bungie has had advantages to Spartans.

Definnatly! Spartans always get the upper hand. But I would like to point out that even though people think reach weapons are better, their not. The DMR was a comback of the halo 2 AR.

Gauss Sniper FTW

> Gauss Sniper FTW

I want the M99 as a usable. In case you are unfamiliar with it, Johnson used it a couple of times. Fires a .22 piece of ferrous material at 14km/s. It’s more capable than the S.Laser.

Off topic, but…

WE NEED COUP FOR THESE FORUMS!