Weapon Unlocks in multiplayer + heavy scripts

I am 100% sure that weapon unlocks in multiplayer is a bad idea. It’s not even just bad it clearly stupid. It shows that 343 has not really thought through what such a feature implies.

If there are unlocks, then after some time practically everyone will have all the weapons unlocked and then the “fun” of unlocking weapons will no longer be around to hold up the gameplay. People will have to like it for what it is anyway, which begs the questions, “why have it in in the first place?”.
Its not going to mean anything just a little down the road anyway. All it will serve to do, is discourage players who don’t play a lot and just play every now and then for quick fun. (note that this is the majority of Halo players) Also note that it is not like these players are bad at Halo. Most of them have been playing it all the way from Halo 1 and really love the franchise.

The other thing I’d like to mention is the heavy scripting I have seen in the single player demo at E3. I know a lot of people think that this is a good thing because it lets the developer craft how you play the game so that you get the most cinematic experience.
This type of experience though is not fun! It causes the player to believe (maybe even falsely) that he/she has no real control over what happens in the game and that they are not the chief. Instead, they are just there to perform a few meaningless tasks whenever the train of scripts stops.

Note that there may even be a great amount of skill and challenge in the gameplay, but if the player has been conditioned by the scripting to think that they have very little control, then the games stops feeling like a game.

So, at the moment, I do not intend to buy Halo 4 new, if anything, I’ll get it used. I really hope the game does not do well, although I know it will, I still wish that it will in fact lose Microsoft money. I would really like to see Microsoft punished for this kind of sheep like behavior. They are starting to follow the trend of other poorly designed modern games.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Don’t feed the troll.

Move along, nothin’ to see hur-dur.

Sigh

Leaves thread.

Voicing your opinion was fine but what you said at the end angered me.

Hey, I’m not saying anything against Halo itself or against Bungie or against Microsoft. I want what is best for 343 and Halo, and if Halo is going to continue to be a good franchise, then the people making it need to have motivation to make it good.

It’s not like I want any harm to come to any of the above mentioned groups. Don’t forget how large Microsoft is though. They can suck up a small loss on a game, and if they do, they will respond to it and try to fix what went wrong.

> Don’t feed the troll.
>
> Move along, nothin’ to see hur-dur.

Lets not hop on the bandwagon and call people who voice their opinion a troll please.

Well, I don’t know if you follow Halo 4 on E3 as much as I do, but Frankie said they scripted it on purpose for the demo.

And the Infinity-system is thought through well… I mean look at all the innovations, they are trying and succeeding in evolving Halo into a new and better way, whether you like it or not.

Opinions of haters and deniers won’t change the fact that Halo 4 is gonna blow because of its awesomeness!

PS: Here’s your proof :wink:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/724735/halo-4-multiplayer-gameplay-video-from-e3-more-bells-whistles/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

> The other thing I’d like to mention is the heavy scripting I have seen in the single player demo at E3. I know a lot of people think that this is a good thing because it lets the developer craft how you play the game so that you get the most cinematic experience.
> This type of experience though is not fun! It causes the player to believe (maybe even falsely) that he/she has no real control over what happens in the game and that they are not the chief. Instead, they are just there to perform a few meaningless tasks whenever the train of scripts stops.
>
> Note that there may even be a great amount of skill and challenge in the gameplay, but if the player has been conditioned by the scripting to think that they have very little control, then the games stops feeling like a game.
>
> So, at the moment, I do not intend to buy Halo 4 new, if anything, I’ll get it used. I really hope the game does not do well, although I know it will, I still wish that it will in fact lose Microsoft money. I would really like to see Microsoft punished for this kind of sheep like behavior. They are starting to follow the trend of other poorly designed modern games.

Scripting like that HAD to exist in the demo. Look at any Halo game, and you’ll see linear, highly scripted levels designed to convey a big reveal. The first Flood encounter in Halo 1, and Floodgate in Halo 3 are great examples. The gameplay demo shown at E3 needed this kind of design to convey fear and excitement in the reveal of our new enemies. Does that mean the rest of the game will follow suit, and lead you down glorified hallways, with a surprize attack spaced every so often? Of course not. Halo’s 1 through Reach have relied on encounters like this at certain key points to better tell the story.

> > Don’t feed the troll.
> >
> > Move along, nothin’ to see hur-dur.
>
> Lets not hop on the bandwagon and call people who voice their opinion a troll please.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

I wouldn’t dream of it…

Now, people who voice opinions based on little fact and say that someone should be “punished” for not putting it a certain way?

Hell, I’ll strap myself to the damn “bandwagon” if I have to.

Backwards. And naked so they all have to look at my -Yoink- as it drives away…

I’m not saying the game should be “the way I want it”, but there are a few things that are definitely going to lead to a less enjoyable experience while playing the game.

You who respond to this thread, you do not need to either agree or disagree with me. I just want you to think about these issues. After all, I highly doubt that my opinion will really shape this game or even it sales.

Also, I play Halo 1 a lot, and there are never events that are scripted that heavily.

Take note by the way, that my largest concern is with the multiplayer, not necessarily the scripting. I realize that despite the demo, the gameplay could be fun, but I doubt it will be. (yes I know the demo was condensed(also, condensing the demo isn’t a very good idea. I didn’t want to see a story in the demo, leave that to the full game. For now I want to know if the game is fun.)) All this is just a bad sign that the game designers might not really know what they are doing or going for.

But, the one thing that I have heard very little chatter about and yet is the largest deal killer for me is the system of earning weapons and the like in multiplayer. That is why I don’t care for this game to do well. I want the franchise to do well, but not this game.

I was about to disagree with you, but then I realized that you’re clearly a paid, college-educated developer for 343 who’s thoroughly tested Halo 4. I mean, what kind of moronic dullard would make such claims without evidence? Well now that someone has played the game and taught me how backwards its design is, I’ll definitely have to cancel my preorder.

Thanks, OP!

You’re welcome, and I’d be very happy if you do know java.

Anyway, I’m just not inclined to think that someone who doesn’t even know how to throw would be able to play baseball well.

I see that they did some basic things wrong and made some avoidable mistakes (Or at least I believe they are bad ideas that they are implementing.), and it is not unreasonable for me to conclude that the rest of the game will be screwed up and no fun as well. Of course the idea of the game being “no fun” is a bit unlikely to be honest. They probably got a few things right given what they were starting with.

Sooo, what’s your favorite language?