Weapon-specific skill gaps

What weapons do you think have the highest and lowest skill gaps in Reach?

For those who are unsure of what I mean by this, a weapon with a high skill gap is a weapon that is very powerful in the hands of a player who is skilled with it, and almost useless in the hands of someone who isn’t skilled with it. A weapon with a low skill gap would be one where the usual end result of using the weapon will be the same almost regardless of a player’s particular skill.

For me personally, I feel the Focus Rifle has the highest skill gap of any weapon in Reach. It can be devastating in the hands of a good player, but players are so commonly unskilled with it that it gets renamed things like “the tickle rifle” or “the assist rifle.” The Focus Rifle is a true testament to steady aim. If you can keep it on your target it will kill a player in less time than any non-power weapon. Conversely, if you can’t keep it steadily on your opponent you aren’t going to do much damage at all.

I think the Assault Rifle has the lowest skill gap in Reach. There is no huge discernible difference between players who are “not skilled” with the AR vs players who are “very skilled” with the AR. Sure, the player who is better is going to do more damage with it, but not by a margin that could be considered “huge.” The AR has an enormous reticle which helps to create a lot of aim assist and by extension more bullet magnetism. The AR is so user-friendly that it is actually possible to kill an enemy with the AR without ever actually having the center of your reticle on any part of their body.

What are your opinions?

I’d say the grenade launcher (not sure if that’s its name not but…). The only time unskilled people are good with it are in enclosed spaces.

Plasma Pistol in BTB can make a huge difference in the hands of somebody who can lead their shots properly
Wraith, better players can pull off longer ranged shots more consistently. Bad wraith drivers can leave their team crippled while good ones can lead the team to victory.
Grenade Launcher
Sniper
DMR/NR/Pistol
Focus Rifle

Unless I’m forgetting any, those are the only weapons I consider to have any skill gap, even if it is only a small one.

ZB/TU aim assisted dmr has the lowest.

> ZB/TU aim assisted dmr has the lowest.

Aim assist is based off of reticle size. Aim assist is lower on the TU, and especially ZB DMR due to the fact that the reticle doesn’t expand as much as its vanilla version.

Just because they are less random it doesn’t make them easier to use. It just mean they are actually consistent in the hands of someone who has good aim. The DMR skill gap actually grows as bloom decreases. The vanilla DMR has a much lower skill gap than either of it’s reduced bloom counterparts.

Sniper, Pipe and DMR.

It’s funny you mentioned the FR first. This was the first weapon to come to mind when I started reading your OP. I really don’t get to use it anymore since I don’t play BTB as much(gawd awful maps & heavies had alot to do with that), but when I do get it, it’s on and poppin. I call it “The melt your face off gun”.

Obviously the Pro pipe…I just love hitting those jetpackers in the face while the’re flying up trying to nade down on me. Good times.

> > ZB/TU aim assisted dmr has the lowest.
>
> Aim assist is based off of reticle size. Aim assist is lower on the TU, and especially ZB DMR due to the fact that the reticle doesn’t expand as much as its vanilla version.
>
> Just because they are less random it doesn’t make them easier to use. It just mean they are actually consistent in the hands of someone who has good aim. The DMR skill gap actually grows as bloom decreases. The vanilla DMR has a much lower skill gap than either of it’s reduced bloom counterparts.

Reticles are the same size before you start shooting.

> > > ZB/TU aim assisted dmr has the lowest.
> >
> > Aim assist is based off of reticle size. Aim assist is lower on the TU, and especially ZB DMR due to the fact that the reticle doesn’t expand as much as its vanilla version.
> >
> > Just because they are less random it doesn’t make them easier to use. It just mean they are actually consistent in the hands of someone who has good aim. The DMR skill gap actually grows as bloom decreases. The vanilla DMR has a much lower skill gap than either of it’s reduced bloom counterparts.
>
> Reticles are the same size before you start shooting.

But not after…Aim assist isn’t based just off of the starting reticle size, it’s based off of the reticle size at that moment… More bloom = more expansion as you fire = larger reticle = more aim assist.

1: Nade launcher- Most can’t use this weapon effectively. But a good launcher can be better than a bad rocket.

2: Focus Rifle- The most underused weapon can actually turn the tides. I see this thing lying around and immediatly pick it up. Its accurate, and more powerful than most think.

3: Snipes- Difficult to use, even harder in a Sniper V DMR. One can always tell a good sniper from a bad one.

4: Plasma Pistol- Possibly the most underated weapon in the game, the plasma pistol is one of the most useful weapons in BTB, and close quarters MLG.

5: DMR/Needle Rifle- This has more to do with strafe and positioning than it does with the weapon itself. Either way, it has a bigger skill gap than many.

Least skilled?

1: Rocket Launcher- Every fiber of my being wants this removed, I hate it and it hates me.

2: Needler- point and shoot in the general direction. As long as you have thumbs, you can use this weapon.

3: Sword+Sprint- I won’t say sword is overpowered, it was fine in H3, but Sword and sprint is one of the most annoying combos I’ve ever seen.

> It’s funny you mentioned the FR first. This was the first weapon to come to mind when I started reading your OP. I really don’t get to use it anymore since I don’t play BTB as much(gawd awful maps & heavies had alot to do with that), but when I do get it, it’s on and poppin. I call it “The melt your face off gun”.
>
> Obviously the Pro pipe…I just love hitting those jetpackers in the face while the’re flying up trying to nade down on me. Good times.

“Melt your face off gun”… hmm to long…

I just say: “You will fear, my, LASERFACE”… Laserface, I like that… its got a ring to it!

RVB jokes aside, agreed, Pro Pipe for the win! I hate that its not back in halo 4 though :confused: … now all we have is the sticky detonator, definitley not the same.