weapon skins should be taken more seriously

The weapon skins in Halo 5 are wasted potential. Most of them are just used as filler for the REQ system while only a few others really stand out. The problem I personally have with them is how a lot of these weapon skins don’t look like they belong in the Halo universe. It seems that 343 just added a random pattern with random colors that doesn’t make sense nor looks good.

Why aren’t there Halo universe inspired skins like ODST skin (no not the bright yellow and red mashup plastered on there) ONI skin, Brute skins, Sangheili skins etc. Skins that look GOOD. Sangheili skins could feature tribal patterns or anything that resembles their ancient culture. Brute skins could look rusty and damaged while ONI skins are just black with red lights. I’m not trying to compare games with each other here, but BF1 nailed it with their skins, I didn’t see any bright green or orange skins on those weapons, only skins that actually looked like something that belonged in the early 20th century. And sure, goofy things like Pizza AR belong in Halo, but it should stay with one or two goofy skins to make them stand out, not 50.

I enjoy Landgrave and Gold Standard quite a bit; tasteful flare while still fitting the idea of a gun.

Cat skins, though? Stupid idea. I would be fine if we never got the pizza, fries or cat skins.

I feel like ONI and ODST weapon skins (realistic, not like the ODST skins we got) would just both be minimalistic and black for stealth purposes.

> 2533274968894951;1:
> The weapon skins in Halo 5 are wasted potential. Most of them are just used as filler for the REQ system while only a few others really stand out. The problem I personally have with them is how a lot of these weapon skins don’t look like they belong in the Halo universe. It seems that 343 just added a random pattern with random colors that doesn’t make sense nor looks good.
>
> Why aren’t there Halo universe inspired skins like ODST skin (no not the bright yellow and red mashup plastered on there) ONI skin, Brute skins, Sangheili skins etc. Skins that look GOOD. Sangheili skins could feature tribal patterns or anything that resembles their ancient culture. Brute skins could look rusty and damaged while ONI skins are just black with red lights. I’m not trying to compare games with each other here, but BF1 nailed it with their skins, I didn’t see any bright green or orange skins on those weapons, only skins that actually looked like something that belonged in the early 20th century. And sure, goofy things like Pizza AR belong in Halo, but it should stay with one or two goofy skins to make them stand out, not 50.

Agree

Aw man, I love the cat and food skins. But does that mean there are enough skins that are “serious” skins? Hell no, unless you like neon.

Well at least we don’t have glowy hearts or rainbow guns (yet).

personally I agree they’re a waste but I think all skins are a waste to begin with good or bad as that’s not how halo should perceive itself as. Once you add skins younthen start making more and more and more. Look at gears, CoD, battlefield (even if they’re at least more respectable), they just shell out more skins and you wanna know what they all share in common? They’re hooked up with a microT system and when skins make money…:why not make more skins?

I would like a Pistol skin where whatever emblem and colors you choose for that emblem could be your pistol skin. I would love a bullseye skin like my emblem lol.

> 2533274923562209;5:
> Well at least we don’t have glowy hearts or rainbow guns (yet).
>
> personally I agree they’re a waste but I think all skins are a waste to begin with good or bad as that’s not how halo should perceive itself as. Once you add skins younthen start making more and more and more. Look at gears, CoD, battlefield (even if they’re at least more respectable), they just shell out more skins and you wanna know what they all share in common? They’re hooked up with a microT system and when skins make money…:why not make more skins?

Isn’t Mister Chief super colorful like a rainbow?

I enjoy using my 343 skins for assault and pistol along with Bloodthirst, Clash and Potence.

> 2533274817408735;7:
> > 2533274923562209;5:
> > Well at least we don’t have glowy hearts or rainbow guns (yet).
> >
> > personally I agree they’re a waste but I think all skins are a waste to begin with good or bad as that’s not how halo should perceive itself as. Once you add skins younthen start making more and more and more. Look at gears, CoD, battlefield (even if they’re at least more respectable), they just shell out more skins and you wanna know what they all share in common? They’re hooked up with a microT system and when skins make money…:why not make more skins?
>
> Isn’t Mister Chief super colorful like a rainbow?

I’ve no idea actually. Haven’t looked at skins in forever (shows how often I switch between them). My point was at least it’s not as bad as a gears game where you can have color blast character skins (I actually use just to tick people off cuz a lot complain about people using them on gears forum and well…I’m one of those guys that like to antagonize others) and have glowing pink heart guns or the other 50 colorful weapon skins they have.

Honestly I like colorful skins, and I think they fit too. SPARTAN-IVs, our characters, are essentially buffed up ODSTs. And as evidenced in lore, ODSTs are cocky, overconfident -Yoinks!- that get themselves killed more than they are actually shot in combat (Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but just look at them. Major Silva, GSgt. Buck, Cpl. Locklear, all arrogant -Yoinks!-.) That’s not to say I don’t like ODSTs, but they seem like the type of person to say, “Yeah, I killed you with a pizza gun, loser. What are you gonna do about that? Oh, I’m teabagging you? Cry some more, failure. Git gud.”

Just look at it this way…all throughout the history of war (especially modern war) people have painted cartoon characters, pin-up models and all sorts of random crap on tanks, planes, bombs, platoon emblems, etc. It adds a light personal touch to something that is generally serious and deadly. If I want a cat with sunglasses, I’ll get a cat with sunglasses. Enjoy the off the wall stuff occasionally not everything should be camo and flames.

> 2535468922214942;10:
> Honestly I like colorful skins, and I think they fit too. SPARTAN-IVs, our characters, are essentially buffed up ODSTs. And as evidenced in lore, ODSTs are cocky, overconfident -Yoinks!- that get themselves killed more than they are actually shot in combat (Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but just look at them. Major Silva, GSgt. Buck, Cpl. Locklear, all arrogant -Yoinks!-.) That’s not to say I don’t like ODSTs, but they seem like the type of person to say, “Yeah, I killed you with a pizza gun, loser. What are you gonna do about that? Oh, I’m teabagging you? Cry some more, failure. Git gud.”

Yeah but they’re supposed to be in the military.

> 2533274817408735;2:
> I enjoy Landgrave and Gold Standard quite a bit; tasteful flare while still fitting the idea of a gun.
>
> Cat skins, though? Stupid idea. I would be fine if we never got the pizza, fries or cat skins.
>
> I feel like ONI and ODST weapon skins (realistic, not like the ODST skins we got) would just both be minimalistic and black for stealth purposes.

But some of us want minimalistic skins. I don’t enjoy using any skins, because none of them feel like a realistic counterpart to the original weapon’s look. If we could have just a normal ONI skin, or something like a grey/silver AR, I would be happy.

I understand that some people enjoy these over the top skins, or those that are more colourful, and that’s ok. I just wish they could give us more minimalistic stuff as well, for those of us who prefer that.

> 2533274804649077;12:
> > 2535468922214942;10:
> > Honestly I like colorful skins, and I think they fit too. SPARTAN-IVs, our characters, are essentially buffed up ODSTs. And as evidenced in lore, ODSTs are cocky, overconfident -Yoinks!- that get themselves killed more than they are actually shot in combat (Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but just look at them. Major Silva, GSgt. Buck, Cpl. Locklear, all arrogant -Yoinks!-.) That’s not to say I don’t like ODSTs, but they seem like the type of person to say, “Yeah, I killed you with a pizza gun, loser. What are you gonna do about that? Oh, I’m teabagging you? Cry some more, failure. Git gud.”
>
> Yeah but they’re supposed to be in the military.

Ehh but the ODSTs aren’t conventional military. Neither are SPARTANs. They act different, talk different, think different, design different.

> 2533274873873545;11:
> Just look at it this way…all throughout the history of war (especially modern war) people have painted cartoon characters, pin-up models and all sorts of random crap on tanks, planes, bombs, platoon emblems, etc. It adds a light personal touch to something that is generally serious and deadly. If I want a cat with sunglasses, I’ll get a cat with sunglasses. Enjoy the off the wall stuff occasionally not everything should be camo and flames.

It’s not like they painted their vehicles bright green or the other loud color combos that most of weapon skins use.

> 2535468922214942;14:
> > 2533274804649077;12:
> > > 2535468922214942;10:
> > > Honestly I like colorful skins, and I think they fit too. SPARTAN-IVs, our characters, are essentially buffed up ODSTs. And as evidenced in lore, ODSTs are cocky, overconfident -Yoinks!- that get themselves killed more than they are actually shot in combat (Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but just look at them. Major Silva, GSgt. Buck, Cpl. Locklear, all arrogant -Yoinks!-.) That’s not to say I don’t like ODSTs, but they seem like the type of person to say, “Yeah, I killed you with a pizza gun, loser. What are you gonna do about that? Oh, I’m teabagging you? Cry some more, failure. Git gud.”
> >
> > Yeah but they’re supposed to be in the military.
>
> Ehh but the ODSTs aren’t conventional military. Neither are SPARTANs. They act different, talk different, think different, design different.

I disagree. They still have a chain of command, have uniforms, still get supplies and gear from Quartermasters, code of conduct, etc etc. I mean Green Berets and SEALs aren’t conventional forces either and they do often use non GI gear but only if they see a tactical advantage in doing so.

> 2533274804649077;16:
> > 2535468922214942;14:
> > > 2533274804649077;12:
> > > > 2535468922214942;10:
> > > > Honestly I like colorful skins, and I think they fit too. SPARTAN-IVs, our characters, are essentially buffed up ODSTs. And as evidenced in lore, ODSTs are cocky, overconfident -Yoinks!- that get themselves killed more than they are actually shot in combat (Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but just look at them. Major Silva, GSgt. Buck, Cpl. Locklear, all arrogant -Yoinks!-.) That’s not to say I don’t like ODSTs, but they seem like the type of person to say, “Yeah, I killed you with a pizza gun, loser. What are you gonna do about that? Oh, I’m teabagging you? Cry some more, failure. Git gud.”
> > >
> > > Yeah but they’re supposed to be in the military.
> >
> > Ehh but the ODSTs aren’t conventional military. Neither are SPARTANs. They act different, talk different, think different, design different.
>
> I disagree. They still have a chain of command, have uniforms, still get supplies and gear from Quartermasters, code of conduct, etc etc. I mean Green Berets and SEALs aren’t conventional forces either and they do often use non GI gear but only if they see a tactical advantage in doing so.

Yes, but War Games is a simulation. There are not regulations, no real code of conduct. You just shoot bad guys. To quote Buck: “I loved being an ODST. Point and shoot. None of this grey area BS.” That is what the S4s are at heart. Point and shoot. Hell, look at Palmer. Is that a “typical” “conventional” leader? No! Palmer is the exact opposite. War Games appeals to the S4s inner arrogant bully, so of course they use pizza guns.

The best looking skins are the over the top ones from H4 like blood splatter, teeth, all the Gold reflective skins, and the skins from halo 5 like master control, the ODST one with the flames, pizza/fries, rainbow mister chief and Locke skins, and boomco skins. The rest are far too unimaginative and don’t fit with the style of game.

This is is a video game where we fight colorful aliens as cyborgs shooting plasma guns while jumping 10 feet in the air. If this game is going to get more skins that are tactical or team based skins for stupid pro leagues then we will lose what makes Halo special visually.

Although let’s also not forget the option to die in a shower of confetti or cartoon hearts in Halo Reach, a game beloved by many for being the ultimate gritty Halo. Weapon skins are a hell of a lot less intrusive than that.

But a nice polished chrome pistol skin or an Alfa Tango BR skin would be nice.

> 2533274804649077;15:
> > 2533274873873545;11:
> > Just look at it this way…all throughout the history of war (especially modern war) people have painted cartoon characters, pin-up models and all sorts of random crap on tanks, planes, bombs, platoon emblems, etc. It adds a light personal touch to something that is generally serious and deadly. If I want a cat with sunglasses, I’ll get a cat with sunglasses. Enjoy the off the wall stuff occasionally not everything should be camo and flames.
>
> It’s not like they painted their vehicles bright green or the other loud color combos that most of weapon skins use.

Pink tankTiger G-91