Weapon Skins Kill Progression

So, I heard about this idea on Ninja’s stream, and I’m not sure Ninja even came up with it or if people are familiar with it, but I think the idea of unlockable weapon skins would be really cool.

For example, you start with a normal skin BR at the beginning of the game. If you kill 1000 people with the BR, you get a bronze skin; 5000 silver; 15000 gold. I think this would allow people to strive for commendations in a creative way. Who knows how or if loadouts will be executed in the next Halo, but this would be one path to revamping the system.

Any thoughts or similar ideas?

Would be interesting but your title seems strange because it seems your against weapon skins.

I feel that would help with progression a little bit I’m striving for DMR mastery for my gold skin

[deleted]

I don’t really like the idea of leveling weapons up to gold. That sounds like a CoD thing.

Oops! I didn’t mean kill as a verb. I would have to say though that this is one thing that if implemented, though it’s similar in COD, it would be completely irrelevant to gameplay. A lot of new things since Halo 3 added are not “Halo,” but usually the reason people are upset is that they directly influence gameplay. Therefore I wouldn’t be opposed or care all the much, I just thought it sounded fun.

> So, I heard about this idea on Ninja’s stream, and I’m not sure Ninja even came up with it or if people are familiar with it, but I think the idea of unlockable weapon skins would be really cool.
>
> For example, you start with a normal skin BR at the beginning of the game. If you kill 1000 people with the BR, you get a bronze skin; 5000 silver; 15000 gold. I think this would allow people to strive for commendations in a creative way. Who knows how or if loadouts will be executed in the next Halo, but this would be one path to revamping the system.
>
> Any thoughts or similar ideas?

Would not work for me. Im a completionist and I like to unlock everything. Im having a hard enough time with unlocking all the armor etc with halo 4, decrease those number or tie them to some kind of challenge/rank and Im in :smiley:

I’m really not sure why this never happened in Halo 4. It was a huge hit in MW2 and actually added a lot of player incentive for what it was.

> Oops! I didn’t mean kill as a verb. <mark>I would have to say though that this is one thing that if implemented, though it’s similar in COD, it would be completely irrelevant to gameplay.</mark> A lot of new things since Halo 3 added are not “Halo,” but usually the reason people are upset is that they directly influence gameplay. Therefore I wouldn’t be opposed or care all the much, I just thought it sounded fun.

Weapon camo in CoD is completely irrelevant to gameplay.

> I’m really not sure why this never happened in Halo 4. It was a huge hit in <mark>MW2</mark> and actually added a lot of player incentive for what it was.

Are you forgetting CoD 4?

I think it would be cool if 343i added something innovative to their next Halo instead of copying Call of Duty like everyone else is doing.

Bungie’s innovations:
Dual-wielding (done before, but never as good or fluid)
Boarding vehicles
Forge
Theater mode
Custom gametypes
Ability to edit gametype from the game lobby
File share

343i’s innovations:
Earning points in-game to go toward a weapon/powerup dropped from above (wait, that’s from Call of Duty)
Customizable loadouts (wait, that’s from Call of Duty)
Unlocking weapons as you rank up (wait, that’s from Call of Duty)
Unlocking weapon skins as you rank up (wait, that’s from Call of Duty)
Perks (wait, that’s from Call of Duty)
Join-in-Progress (wait, that’s from Call of Duty)

Do you see a trend? Aside from Prometheans and a better story, I can’t name anything 343i put in Halo 4 that wasn’t already done in previous Halo or Call of Duty games.

> I think it would be cool if 343i added something innovative to their next Halo instead of copying Call of Duty like everyone else is doing.
>
> Bungie’s innovations:
> Dual-wielding (done before, but never as good or fluid)
> Boarding vehicles
> Forge
> Theater mode
> Custom gametypes
> Ability to edit gametype from the game lobby
> File share
>
> 343i’s innovations:
> Earning points in-game to go toward a weapon/powerup dropped from above (wait, that’s from Call of Duty)
> Customizable loadouts (wait, that’s from Call of Duty)
> Unlocking weapons as you rank up (wait, that’s from Call of Duty)
> Unlocking weapon skins as you rank up (wait, that’s from Call of Duty)
> Perks (wait, that’s from Call of Duty)
> Join-in-Progress (wait, that’s from Call of Duty)
>
> Do you see a trend? Aside from Prometheans and a better story, I can’t name anything 343i put in Halo 4 that wasn’t already done in previous Halo or Call of Duty games.

You do realize Call of Duty didn’t invent these things.

If I want more weapon skins yes I should have to use that weapon a lot to earn more skins maybe even customizable skins xD

… It’s a good idea, certainly…

But I swear to god, if I see people running around with golden boltshots or golden pretty much anything; I quit.

CoD did gold and I’m fine with that (I know 007 did it first), but I think Halo ought to do something different. Let CoD have the appeal of shiny golden weapons, and let Halo do its own thing with whatever it wants to do.

I’d say the more weapon ranks you unlock (It pains me to call it that after MW3, but its just easier) the more classic skins you unlock. For example with the human weapons you could go back through Halo 3 BR, to Halo 2 BR and possibly to the Frost BR for the last level.

For the Magnum you could go Halo 3 ODST, Halo 2 Magnum, Halo CE/Reach/3 Magnum. (Keeping in mind it would be cosmetic only.)

DMR could go Halo: Reach and then get its own set of special skins perhaps.

AR could go: Halo 3, Halo CE, Halo Reach

Covenant weapons could do something similar as well. Promethean weapons would be interesting… I’m not sure what to do with those, but they could get their own skins as well (of course).

Just please, no gold. Maybe a golden warthog (hidden of course) or a hidden golden CE magnum in campaign, but none of that stuff in multiplayer.

> You do realize Call of Duty didn’t invent these things.

Didn’t Frank O’Connor say “There are some things Call of Duty did that we think Halo can do better.” ?

I’m fairly certain that was said around the GI article… or possibly E3 (last year).

> … It’s a good idea, certainly…
>
> But I swear to god, if I see people running around with golden boltshots or golden pretty much anything; I quit.
>
> CoD did gold and I’m fine with that (I know 007 did it first), but I think Halo ought to do something different. Let CoD have the appeal of shiny golden weapons, and let Halo do its own thing with whatever it wants to do.
>
> I’d say the more weapon ranks you unlock (It pains me to call it that after MW3, but its just easier) the more classic skins you unlock. For example with the human weapons you could go back through Halo 3 BR, to Halo 2 BR and possibly to the Frost BR for the last level.
>
> For the Magnum you could go Halo 3 ODST, Halo 2 Magnum, Halo CE/Reach/3 Magnum. (Keeping in mind it would be cosmetic only.)
>
> DMR could go Halo: Reach and then get its own set of special skins perhaps.
>
> AR could go: Halo 3, Halo CE, Halo Reach
>
> Covenant weapons could do something similar as well. Promethean weapons would be interesting… I’m not sure what to do with those, but they could get their own skins as well (of course).
>
> Just please, no gold. Maybe a golden warthog (hidden of course) or a hidden golden CE magnum in campaign, but none of that stuff in multiplayer.

Yea I that’s fine I still think customizable skins would be awesome though and you might have to unlock some skins through special challenges. Like LASO through all the campaign.

> You do realize Call of Duty didn’t invent these things.

Doesn’t matter. Do you remember when Twilight started becoming popular? Everyone and their moms bought vampire stuff and vampire TV shows and movies started becoming incredibly popular. Twilight didn’t invent vampires or werewolves, but it did make them popular because of its success. Likewise, many game developers are copying (not improving upon, copying) things that Call of Duty does, not because Call of Duty did them first, but because Call of Duty was so successful with them. That’s the opposite of innovation.

> > You do realize Call of Duty didn’t invent these things.
>
> Doesn’t matter. Do you remember when Twilight started becoming popular? Everyone and their moms bought vampire stuff and vampire TV shows and movies started becoming incredibly popular. Twilight didn’t invent vampires or werewolves, but it did make them popular because of its success. Likewise, many game developers are copying (not improving upon, copying) things that Call of Duty does, not because Call of Duty did them first, but because Call of Duty was so successful with them. That’s the opposite of innovation.

Yes but CoD isn’t the only game that’s had success from these things a prime example is BF3. They have all those things you mentioned that CoD has. I’m not going to get off topic more with this as this is just cluttering the topic and is unfair to the OP.

Weapon skins though I approve wholeheartedly but about gold camo, no.

Instead of acknowledging the others who have been posting on this thread, I figured I would post a likeable solution.

How about we have weapon skins based on the Armor Effects from Halo Reach? These camos would be unlock by either killing enough players or completing some challenge.
We would have a confetti camo, heart camo, blue flame camo, red flame camo, pestilence camo, and inclement weather camo.
The inclement weather camo would be Halo’s equivalent to CoD’s gold camo.

> I don’t really like the idea of leveling weapons up to gold. That sounds like a CoD thing.

Yah I definitely think we can be more creative. Say we have for each standard weapon…

Tier 1 (10 kills)
Matte Black

Tier 2 (100 kills)
Camo

Tier 3 (500 kills)
Futuristic glow

Tier 4 (1,000 kills)
Sparkle paint and tassels

And we can modify the kill values or even the action (for PP, shields stripped/vehicle disabled) depending the availability and killing power of the weapon.

> Instead of acknowledging the others who have been posting on this thread, I figured I would post a likeable solution.
>
> How about we have weapon skins based on the Armor Effects from Halo Reach? These camos would be unlock by either killing enough players or completing some challenge.
> We would have a confetti camo, heart camo, blue flame camo, red flame camo, pestilence camo, and inclement weather camo.
> The inclement weather camo would be Halo’s equivalent to CoD’s gold camo.

Think adding both this and regulars skins would be sweet. Inclement weather would look so sick on a gun xD

I’d rather have specific skins tied to specific commendations instead of just ‘kill tons and get skins’.

Some examples off the top of my head.

Rust
Play a total of 100 hours.

Desert Camo
Win 100 matches on Sandtrap.

Midnight (Dark, shiny black)
Reach CSR 50 in any playlist.

Griff
Score 3x in a single match of Griffball or Ricochet.

Splatter
Survive a total of 300 minutes in flood.

Shark Assault Rifle
Win 50 games in Legendary Slayer

> … It’s a good idea, certainly…
>
> But I swear to god, if I see people running around with golden boltshots or golden pretty much anything; I quit.
>
> CoD did gold and I’m fine with that (I know 007 did it first), but I think Halo ought to do something different. Let CoD have the appeal of shiny golden weapons, and let Halo do its own thing with whatever it wants to do.
>
> I’d say the more weapon ranks you unlock (It pains me to call it that after MW3, but its just easier) the more classic skins you unlock. For example with the human weapons you could go back through Halo 3 BR, to Halo 2 BR and possibly to the Frost BR for the last level.
>
> For the Magnum you could go Halo 3 ODST, Halo 2 Magnum, Halo CE/Reach/3 Magnum. (Keeping in mind it would be cosmetic only.)
>
> DMR could go Halo: Reach and then get its own set of special skins perhaps.
>
> AR could go: Halo 3, Halo CE, Halo Reach
>
> Covenant weapons could do something similar as well. Promethean weapons would be interesting… I’m not sure what to do with those, but they could get their own skins as well (of course).
>
> Just please, no gold. Maybe a golden warthog (hidden of course) or a hidden golden CE magnum in campaign, but none of that stuff in multiplayer.
>
>
>
> > You do realize Call of Duty didn’t invent these things.
>
> <mark>Didn’t Frank O’Connor say “There are some things Call of Duty did that we think Halo can do better.” ?</mark>
>
> I’m fairly certain that was said around the GI article… or possibly E3 (last year).

And what’s funny about that particular statement is that those exact things are what turned Halo 4 into a stale, unbalanced, and noncompetitive heap of misery.

Hopefully 343i will learn that those features turned 90% of the fanbase away from the only thing keeping Microsoft afloat in the gaming industry.

I would definitely enjoy Halo Xbox One’s Multiplayer longer if it has things like Mass Effect 3’s multiplayer banners, CoD’s emblems and weapon skins. Also unlocking things like character voices, armor effects, and other cosmetic bonuses keep me and many others interested well past the normal multiplayer expiration date most games have now.