Weapon audio impressions

Hey guys, feel free to post your opinions about the weapon sounds of Anniversary in this thread. :smiley:

The first order of business is the Pistol! This thing is godly. I’ve always thought it sounded godly, too. Something about it has always satisfied. That said, I must also say I’m impressed with the update to its sound. It sounds different, but the good kind of different. Reloading sounds more detailed, as do melee attacks. This is going to sound strange and slightly unintelligible to some, but…I feel like I can feel the Pistol in the Master Chief’s hand. It’s calling my name, like that sweet foreign girl I met on a trip to Germany. The one with the…Well, that’s a story for a different time. The point here: The Pistol is sounding GREAT! I would say it’s not quite up to par with my nostalgia, but it’ll never be, so for the most part, just improve it where you can, but keep on this path with it.

Second, the Needler. I’ve always loved the Needler. I think any machine that can pack a body so full of pure, pink love crystals that it explodes on the spot is the definition of a real man’s weapon, so the Needler’s always been my “girl on the side” - the one I can lean on should my old girl, the God Pistol, fail me. So when I loaded up this video, I awaited with an eager sense of anticipation as they gave my faithful weapon a new voicebox, and I have to say this: It was hard to hear. First of all, the weapon firing sounded spot-on, how I imagined it updated. I want to congratulate your hard-working men and women there, 343 Industries. After this, however, the situation suddenly spiraled out of my control. I noticed the crystals didn’t look anywhere near as bright and illuminating as they did ten years ago, first. This took away the mood. Then further things went wrong when I couldn’t hear the needles bursting in the rock. I thought to myself, How strange… One can hear it fine in the 2001 portion of the video. So I replayed both versions, and I noticed that in 2001, the crystals would burst before the player reloaded, creating two separate sounds. In the 2011 version, however, the crystals burst as the player reloads. Here’s the difficult thing: I can’t tell if the reloading is drowning out the bursting sounds, or if they’re just really quiet bursting sounds. I listened multiple times just to make this distinction, and came to the conclusion that either way, this weapon still needs quite a bit of audio work. Further, the reload sounds off to me. It reminds me of a pulsing sound. Like they put a heart in my old friend, and at the beat of that heart, new needles pump out. This would be cool, but it’s never given me that very distinct impression in previous iterations, so I was thrown off. In my opinion, it just needs to be further iterated. Melee sounds perfectly cool to me, though. In conclusion, some of the things about the Needler were freaking sweet - I loved the sound of unloading the pure, pink love crystals into the rock, and the sound of the thrust of the weapon into dead air in a melee maneuver. But those two things aside, this weapon still needs some work as well. The audio of the bursting needles needs to be mixed better (to be a bit more prominent), and reloading needs to be altered. Good work, but not there yet.

Now, we have the Plasma Rifle. I have to admit that I was apprehensive about this weapon. I’ve never been a huge fan of it, plain and simple. I was wrong to feel like this, though, as I was still able to recognize differences in the versions quite distinctly. I will sum it up like this: Anniversary has it all wrong thus far. Pulling the trigger won’t give you the same sound it once did. Instead, it sounds similar, but foreign. Each ball of plasma sounds more individual, for one. But I can hear the original audio in there. The thing that throws me is that a new layer seems to have been added. It gives it more bite, sure, but it also makes it feel just a bit less familiar. That said, melee sounds fine, in my opinion. But cooling the weapon sounds off as well. One can now seemingly hear heat seething out of the vents, but at the same time, it doesn’t sound like this. It’s strange. I do appreciate the mechanical sound of the flaps moving back into place; that’s a good touch. But it’s the actual cooling sound that needs to be a bit altered, in my opinion. Conclusion: Anniversary makes the Plasma Rifle sound familiar, but not familiar enough. It has more bite, and the new sounds are manageable, but I’d simply prefer a bit more familiarity, myself. Also, cooling down should be redone; add the cool blue plasma effects back along the barrel, while eliminating that too-audible hissing sound. Keep the mechanical returns, though.

Finally, the Rocket Launcher! I love this iteration of the Rocket Launcher. I feel it was never done quite this satisfyingly again. I must say, then, that I’m quite satisfied with the sound of firing this weapon. It feels quite similar, but much more bold and quite considerably more loud. Reloading is…Well, it’s a mixed bag kind of thing. I feel the heaviness of the weapon and its rounds was quite accurately captured in a familiar way, but once again, a weird mechanical sound effect sounds, similar to the newfound hissing of the overheated Plasma Rifle. It sounds almost as if the weapon is saying, “Hey! I’m ready to fire again!” It’s not really a bad sound effect. If it were in Halo 4, I’d be the first to notice it and then cast it aside as a cool addition. That said, this is Anniversary. It’s supposed to be the same game. But this sound is unfamiliar, and in a negative way. I think, personally, it should be eliminated. Next, melee is similar. The thrust of the weapon’s back end sounds good enough (great, even), but when mounting back onto the Master Chief’s shoulder, the weapon gives off another sort of mechanical sound; like there are spinning parts in there. To me, it makes it seem as though the weapon was designed with smacking things in the face in mind, when I in fact find it hard to imagine anything but a Spartan being able to do that. So, that all said, I have to consider this mechanical sound effect negative. It didn’t exist before, and so was newly added. And it doesn’t seem to fit in, in my opinion. It gives the weapon a slightly different feeling. Conclusion: most of the Rocket Launcher has been done right, in my opinion. It’s that small sound at the end of a reload, and that mechanical spinning during a melee that throw me.

So that’s my analysis of the new weapon sounds. Overall, I like where this is going. I think it could use some work, but it’s cool. I must admit, I look forward to hearing more weapons. I only ask 343 Industries to remember one thing: Simplicity is awesomesauce.

(Sorry for the double post, but this wouldn’t all fit in a single one. Not trying to spam or bump; just trying to get all my impressions in one place.)

Nice wrap up :slight_smile:
I agree about the needler, it dousnt have the same…ping to it. But what BSA said in her Bulletin it was difficult re doing these sounds. lol
For the Rifle i could careless either way personally.
Gods hand sound like a 50cal going off. Which is a good thing lol!
The rocket is a beast to me I love everything about. I just played the old CE and I never could like how the rocket was done. Seemed so bland for a freaking rocket on your shoulder.

The Needler is definitely different, but I could get used to it. I love that they managed to recreate its melee sound to a tee. I really liked CE’s Needler melee. The rest of the sounds were great! I especially liked the Rockets and the Plasma Rifle overheat… the parts of it that jolt out and then back in really sound as if they’re doing something now.

I agree with absolutely everything you said, down to every little detail. I’m actually surprised there was another person hear that picked up all those little ques like I did. Well done sir. The only thing I disagree with is your opinion on the Pistol. As you read in my post on the 8/3/2011 Bulletin discussion, I think the Pistol needs a TON of work. While it does sound cool, it is in no way the Halo sidearm that I remember. (In terms of audio of course) I’ll repost my audio impressions for the sake of this thread.

From 8/3/2011 discussion:

It seems I’m the only one here who isn’t thrilled with the audio updates. I mean, I LOVE the RL’s new sound and have no complaints there but the other three weapons have…issues. The PR is good but I think the overheating sound is a little too dramatic and (no pun intended) alien, meaning it sounds out of place to the rest of the existing Halo audio. The Needler sounds great except that there isn’t any of the awesome clicking sounds that occurs during reloading in any of the other games. The Magnum, unfortunately, is where I’m most disappointed. Not only does the sidearm’s report sound NOTHING like the reports of the other existing Magnums and the Pistol of the original game, but the reload audio is stolen directly from the Sniper Rifle. In my opinion, the Magnum/Pistol, aside from the AR, is the most important human weapon to get the correct audio for. It has VERY unique sounds that have been carried through all of the previous Halo games and it would be very unfortunate to have it change now. I understand that 343 has to make the games their own but there are some things that MUST be kept consistent, especially if they are trying to stay true to the original. I’m also not thrilled about the fact that the audio will be permanently upgraded but that’s a whole other thing. I think the best thing they could do is try to take the audio from the M6G in Reach. Not only does it sound better and more powerful, but it still has that unique report that’s been there since the beginning.

That’s Jack Bauer!! :open_mouth:

Sorry, couldn’t resist. xD

I’m gonna go find some reference though, so I can relate to your post. I can’t remember what the old Sniper reload sounded like for instance. I’ll be back once I’ve done my research hehe.

I did get one thing wrong. Going back to watch the Needler video, the needles in 2001 did explode right when the player reloaded, just as in the 2011 version. The thing is, they just don’t seem to make any sounds in 2011, while they were quite audible in 2001.

> I agree with absolutely everything you said, down to every little detail. I’m actually surprised there was another person hear that picked up all those little ques like I did. Well done sir. The only thing I disagree with is your opinion on the Pistol. As you read in my post on the 8/3/2011 Bulletin discussion, I think the Pistol needs a TON of work. While it does sound cool, it is in no way the Halo sidearm that I remember. (In terms of audio of course) I’ll repost my audio impressions for the sake of this thread.
>
> From 8/3/2011 discussion:
>
> It seems I’m the only one here who isn’t thrilled with the audio updates. I mean, I LOVE the RL’s new sound and have no complaints there but the other three weapons have…issues. The PR is good but I think the overheating sound is a little too dramatic and (no pun intended) alien, meaning it sounds out of place to the rest of the existing Halo audio. The Needler sounds great except that there isn’t any of the awesome clicking sounds that occurs during reloading in any of the other games. The Magnum, unfortunately, is where I’m most disappointed. Not only does the sidearm’s report sound NOTHING like the reports of the other existing Magnums and the Pistol of the original game, but the reload audio is stolen directly from the Sniper Rifle. In my opinion, the Magnum/Pistol, aside from the AR, is the most important human weapon to get the correct audio for. It has VERY unique sounds that have been carried through all of the previous Halo games and it would be very unfortunate to have it change now. I understand that 343 has to make the games their own but there are some things that MUST be kept consistent, especially if they are trying to stay true to the original. I’m also not thrilled about the fact that the audio will be permanently upgraded but that’s a whole other thing. I think the best thing they could do is try to take the audio from the M6G in Reach. Not only does it sound better and more powerful, but it still has that unique report that’s been there since the beginning.

I’m glad we agree on so much, but I find it slightly funny that we disagree about the Pistol. I personally think almost exactly the opposite of you. I like the sound of the Pistol. I did a few side-by-side comparisons where instead of playing a long clip of the old Pistol emptying, reloading, then meleeing, and then watching the new Pistol do that, I watched each comparison directly following each other. That is, I put the 2001 shots right before the 2011 ones. Then I put the 2001 reload right before the 2011 one. And on and on. I think this makes for much easier processing of the three new sounds we were given: Shooting, reloading, and meleeing. I won’t say much about reloading or meleeing, but using my above method, I personally found the 2011 Pistol to be really faithful to the 2001 Pistol, audio-wise. It sounds very similar, but beefed up.

But regarding almost everything else about the Pistol, I’m in doubt. I personally dislike its newer reticule. It’s very disturbingly barely-visible. I also think the visual aesthetic of the old Pistol translated extremely horribly into 2011. In other words, I think the gun looked better in 2001. The 2011 version, to me, looks blocky and ugly. It’s sad, really. But this is also only slightly off-topic. I’ll cease graphics talks now, and we can steer back towards audio.

Actually I really liked the plasma rifle’s cool down sound. It gave the weapon a more violent and lethal feel. Since the weapon is not meant to be pushed that hard I feel its only right when something dealing with plasma overheats it should violently release the excess heat in order to maintain stability.

The needler was cool till it fired very rapidly. Then the sounds kinda got jumbled up and maybe there needs to be more separation between each needle to kinda give a more distinct sound. The reload and melee were both cool. I agree the reload sounded a bit different but not nearly enough to warrant change. It was just different enough to feel fresh.

The rocket launcher was beastly sounding. Gotta love the greater force of impact that the new sounds portray. The reload and melee were both a little overdone but actually the more I listen to them they grow on me.

The pistol was probably and perfect as could be.

I think what is nice about all the sounds in general is that they all sound very familiar and iconic but have a fresh new feel to them. Cant wait to crank up my surround sound and experience Halo CEA in all it hifi glory. Amazing work on the new sound effects 343i :smiley:

I feel like the Pistol no longer has character. Now, it’s just a gun. I know that sounds weird but if you listen, every weapon in the Halo universe has very unique ques that give them a sort of “character.” It gives each weapon a voice if you will. I don’t know it’s just how I feel.

> > I agree with absolutely everything you said, down to every little detail. I’m actually surprised there was another person hear that picked up all those little ques like I did. Well done sir. The only thing I disagree with is your opinion on the Pistol. As you read in my post on the 8/3/2011 Bulletin discussion, I think the Pistol needs a TON of work. While it does sound cool, it is in no way the Halo sidearm that I remember. (In terms of audio of course) I’ll repost my audio impressions for the sake of this thread.
> >
> > From 8/3/2011 discussion:
> >
> > It seems I’m the only one here who isn’t thrilled with the audio updates. I mean, I LOVE the RL’s new sound and have no complaints there but the other three weapons have…issues. The PR is good but I think the overheating sound is a little too dramatic and (no pun intended) alien, meaning it sounds out of place to the rest of the existing Halo audio. The Needler sounds great except that there isn’t any of the awesome clicking sounds that occurs during reloading in any of the other games. The Magnum, unfortunately, is where I’m most disappointed. Not only does the sidearm’s report sound NOTHING like the reports of the other existing Magnums and the Pistol of the original game, but the reload audio is stolen directly from the Sniper Rifle. In my opinion, the Magnum/Pistol, aside from the AR, is the most important human weapon to get the correct audio for. It has VERY unique sounds that have been carried through all of the previous Halo games and it would be very unfortunate to have it change now. I understand that 343 has to make the games their own but there are some things that MUST be kept consistent, especially if they are trying to stay true to the original. I’m also not thrilled about the fact that the audio will be permanently upgraded but that’s a whole other thing. I think the best thing they could do is try to take the audio from the M6G in Reach. Not only does it sound better and more powerful, but it still has that unique report that’s been there since the beginning.
>
> I’m glad we agree on so much, but I find it slightly funny that we disagree about the Pistol. I personally think almost exactly the opposite of you. I like the sound of the Pistol. I did a few side-by-side comparisons where instead of playing a long clip of the old Pistol emptying, reloading, then meleeing, and then watching the new Pistol do that, I watched each comparison directly following each other. That is, I put the 2001 shots right before the 2011 ones. Then I put the 2001 reload right before the 2011 one. And on and on. I think this makes for much easier processing of the three new sounds we were given: Shooting, reloading, and meleeing. I won’t say much about reloading or meleeing, but using my above method, I personally found the 2011 Pistol to be really faithful to the 2001 Pistol, audio-wise. It sounds very similar, but beefed up.
>
> But regarding almost everything else about the Pistol, I’m in doubt. I personally dislike its newer reticule. It’s very disturbingly barely-visible. I also think the visual aesthetic of the old Pistol translated extremely horribly into 2011. In other words, I think the gun looked better in 2001. The 2011 version, to me, looks blocky and ugly. It’s sad, really. But this is also only slightly off-topic. I’ll cease graphics talks now, and we can steer back towards audio.

Sorry if I’m steering you back to graphics, but I totally agree with the problem of pistol aestetics.

A: it looks WAY too small. I always thought that even if there had been dual-wielding in CE, you couldn’t have dualed that thing if you wanted to because it was so BIG, and the size reflected its awesome power. Now it just looks like a toy.

B: They made the graphics worse than Reachs with this one weapon. The pistol in the E3 demo, though it was a slightly larger looking, different’y animated Reach pistol, had a better, more realistic look, such as having the actual yellow Iron sights instead of two yellow dots, and an actual hammer (or whatever that red thing on the back is called) instead of a read square.

Overall the pistol is the one gun they should have kept the Reach aestetic for. Though the current looks virtually the same as the original, in this case that doesn’t blend well with the rest of the game’s next-gen graphics. It actually looks like the halo 3 pistol the most, and the H3 pistol SUCKED.

More on topic, however, I’m absolutely in LOVE with the new firing sound and melee sound. It’s got a much more powerful sound now.

A great summary man! The fact is that I AGREE with your opinions so that makes it even better

I like most of the new sounds, especially the Rocket Launcher. However, I’m not too pleased with the pistol. The various iterations of the pistol in halo have always sounded very similar, but this one just doesn’t.

The sounds are pretty much the same as the Reach sounds, except the pistol of course. They all sound pretty good though.

I love the sounds. They sound like they look like they feel.

i hate to sound like one of those critics who just complain about everything game developers make because im not. but im slightly unsatisfied with the sounds of the new weapons. mainly the reloads.

pistol-in my opinion the pistol sounded better reloading in the first game. it actually sounded like you were sliding a clip into the gun. now you can barley hear it

needler- the needler too in my opinion sounded better when you reloaded it in halo combat evolved

plasma rifle- when you close your eyes and actually listen to it the plasma rifle in the first game sounds like a bigger shot of fire than the remastered sound… the new sound kind of reminds me of a laser or something.

i did like the rocket launcher sound and how massive it sounded

also i was wondering…i know the video was supossed to focus on sounds specifically but are the images of the guns final?