We want the REAL halo back

First off i’d like to introduce myself. I have been playing xbox and the halo franchise since the very first game and i love the series. Great story line, alot of action everything somebody would want in a video game. I’m a big halo fan altogether. Now onto my rant. Halo multiplayer has been changing drastically over the past few games. I’m not sure about everyone else but halo 2 was the true definition of the best online multiplayer experience. Call me old fashioned but i liked having to work for a rank, i like having to have teamwork and being able to control a game, i like competition. The halo series has gone so far away from all these factors that it is just hard to get into the game anymore. I used to be able to play halo 2 for hours on end, going into matchmaking working hard to get a rank in each and every game type they had, from team slayer, team skirmish, team snipers, team swat (even though it wasn’t a favorite), big team battle. Seriously what happened to the ranking system?

My thoughts, halo is trying way, WAY to hard to mimic call of duty. Halo is halo, call of duty is call of duty, stop trying to be like them. Before call of duty came out halo was the best franchise in the game, now since halo is trying to mimic them, the franchise has fallen off and now i believe call of duty has become the bigger and better franchise because of THEIR originality. Halo 2 had individual ranks in each playlist you had to work for, you could loose rank which made competition that much more fun. Halo 3 still had the same concept but made it much too easy to rank up. There was 100x more 50’s in halo 3 than there were in halo 2. The highest rank in a game is meant to be for the best players in the game who could reach it, not for anybody that had hours of time on their hand who can play the same mind numbing game over and over gaining exp to reach the highest rank. This is where halo is trying to mimic call of duty. COD introduced this ranking system which works in their game IT DOES NOT WORK IN HALO. I can play against people in halo 4 which are a good 10 levels higher than me but are much worse. I remember when you faced a higher level you knew you were in for a real challenge.

The ranking system in halo reflects no skill whatsoever. I feel like halo should bring back the good old fashioned ranking system, level 1-50. Win a few games on each level to level up, loose a game or two to loose level. This determined who was really good and who was garbage.

Still going on the topic of how halo tries to mimic call of duty, where did load outs comes from? Where did kill came come from? Where did instant respawn come from? Where did ordinance (equivalent to kill streaks but easier to earn with assists) come from? What happened to gaining power weapons that MEANT something. This game has become so dulled down and simplified so anybody could play it. A DMR (which you spawn with) can kill a sniper across the map in 5 shots (4 if good) to the head. Halo 2 that wasn’t heard of you couldn’t touch a sniper if he was across the map unless you could grab a BR and you were GOOD with it. No leading necessary in this game. Since Reach came out with these “upgrades” you can have at spawn, sprinting, jetpack, armor lock. now in halo 4 you have the same thing, everyone can sprint, and you can regenerate health, jetpack, not to mention the stupidest thing ever invented promethian vision which allows you to see enemies behind walls.

I think i ranted enough and people are getting my point, any true halo player that has played from the beginning and has a love for the game will understand. DO NOT MIX MY WORDS UP. I am NOT saying halo 4 is a bad game, all i am saying is they are veering farther and farther away from the original concept of halo and going to the more generic every game concept idea. Bring back ranks, make us work for our level, make the game fair, don’t add in all these little stupid things. SIMPLE IS BETTER. I will bet money that if bungie (or 343 studios) ever recreated halo 2 multiplayer WITHOUT tampering it, only by simply upgrading graphics (which doesn’t even need that) it would get a much bigger fan base than any other halo that has recently came out. Please stick to original halo concept stop trying to be generic.

I am open for and comments, additions, opinions.

A trueskill ranking system is being implemented in early 2013.

> The ranking system in halo reflects no skill whatsoever. I feel like halo should bring back the good old fashioned ranking system, level 1-50. Win a few games on each level to level up, loose a game or two to loose level. This determined who was really good and who was garbage.

The skill system is already in game. They’re just working on how to show it/fix some last bit issues with it. Once then, we will be able to visually see our skill ranks within playlists online/here on waypoint.

> First off i’d like to introduce myself. I have been playing xbox and the halo franchise since the very first game and i love the series. Great story line, alot of action everything somebody would want in a video game. I’m a big halo fan altogether. Now onto my rant. Halo multiplayer has been changing drastically over the past few games. I’m not sure about everyone else but halo 2 was the true definition of the best online multiplayer experience. Call me old fashioned but i liked having to work for a rank, i like having to have teamwork and being able to control a game, i like competition. The halo series has gone so far away from all these factors that it is just hard to get into the game anymore. I used to be able to play halo 2 for hours on end, going into matchmaking working hard to get a rank in each and every game type they had, from team slayer, team skirmish, team snipers, team swat (even though it wasn’t a favorite), big team battle. Seriously what happened to the ranking system?
>
> My thoughts, halo is trying way, WAY to hard to mimic call of duty. Halo is halo, call of duty is call of duty, stop trying to be like them. Before call of duty came out halo was the best franchise in the game, now since halo is trying to mimic them, the franchise has fallen off and now i believe call of duty has become the bigger and better franchise because of THEIR originality. Halo 2 had individual ranks in each playlist you had to work for, you could loose rank which made competition that much more fun. Halo 3 still had the same concept but made it much too easy to rank up. There was 100x more 50’s in halo 3 than there were in halo 2. The highest rank in a game is meant to be for the best players in the game who could reach it, not for anybody that had hours of time on their hand who can play the same mind numbing game over and over gaining exp to reach the highest rank. This is where halo is trying to mimic call of duty. COD introduced this ranking system which works in their game IT DOES NOT WORK IN HALO. I can play against people in halo 4 which are a good 10 levels higher than me but are much worse. I remember when you faced a higher level you knew you were in for a real challenge.
>
> The ranking system in halo reflects no skill whatsoever. I feel like halo should bring back the good old fashioned ranking system, level 1-50. Win a few games on each level to level up, loose a game or two to loose level. This determined who was really good and who was garbage.
>
> Still going on the topic of how halo tries to mimic call of duty, where did load outs comes from? Where did kill came come from? Where did instant respawn come from? Where did ordinance (equivalent to kill streaks but easier to earn with assists) come from? What happened to gaining power weapons that MEANT something. This game has become so dulled down and simplified so anybody could play it. A DMR (which you spawn with) can kill a sniper across the map in 5 shots (4 if good) to the head. Halo 2 that wasn’t heard of you couldn’t touch a sniper if he was across the map unless you could grab a BR and you were GOOD with it. No leading necessary in this game. Since Reach came out with these “upgrades” you can have at spawn, sprinting, jetpack, armor lock. now in halo 4 you have the same thing, everyone can sprint, and you can regenerate health, jetpack, not to mention the stupidest thing ever invented promethian vision which allows you to see enemies behind walls.
>
> I think i ranted enough and people are getting my point, any true halo player that has played from the beginning and has a love for the game will understand. DO NOT MIX MY WORDS UP. I am NOT saying halo 4 is a bad game, all i am saying is they are veering farther and farther away from the original concept of halo and going to the more generic every game concept idea. Bring back ranks, make us work for our level, make the game fair, don’t add in all these little stupid things. SIMPLE IS BETTER. I will bet money that if bungie (or 343 studios) ever recreated halo 2 multiplayer WITHOUT tampering it, only by simply upgrading graphics (which doesn’t even need that) it would get a much bigger fan base than any other halo that has recently came out. Please stick to original halo concept stop trying to be generic.
>
> I am open for and comments, additions, opinions.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE BOLD PART. Just because you have been playing Halo forever, doesn’t mean every old-school Halo fan is going to agree with you. I had Halo CE at launch and I think Halo 4 is by far the best in the franchise. I’m also not trying to pull “fan rank” like most people are in these forums…

“We want old halo back”?

Don’t ever use the word WE because that implies all of us. You don’t speak for me. I like Halo 4 and I don’t want the old Halo back. I don’t want to pay $60 for the same game unless it’s an anniversary edition.

I too have been playing since the first game back in 2001, but I think that’s where our similarities end. For me, I like the fact that the games change with every sequel. I may not like each change individually, but I do like the effort. It’s the changes that I look forward to in each Halo sequel. If it weren’t for those changes, I’d probably stop buying the games on day one and just wait until they drop in price, because if there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s spending my money on the same game that I already have on my shelf, which I can play at any time.

343i should have included a classic playlist though. They still can. They can do what they did with Reach. Reach was much better once 343i took charge of game support, so I have faith that they’ll try and do something to please the fans of the older gameplay.

halo 2 was the best online game i ever played just because of the ranking system. Your exactly right. i shouldnt play someone 10 ranks higher than me and then destroy them

> I too have been playing since the first game back in 2001, but I think that’s where our similarities end. For me, I like the fact that the games change with every sequel. I may not like each change individually, but I do like the effort. It’s the changes that I look forward to in each Halo sequel. If it weren’t for those changes, I’d probably stop buying the games on day one and just wait until they drop in price, because if there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s spending my money on the same game that I already have on my shelf, which I can play at any time.
>
> 343i should have included a classic playlist though. They still can. They can do what they did with Reach. Reach was much better once 343i took charge of game support, so I have faith that they’ll try and do something to please the fans of the older gameplay.

Exactly. I’m in the “DMR needs a slight nerd” boat myself. There are things that need addressed. But for some people to blatantly say this is the worst Halo ever…is mind boggling. I enjoyed Reach,but this is MUCH better than Reach. Matter of fact I’m having more fun with this than Halo 2 post-launch, and that was a (sad) highlight of my life =]

Plenty of people still play Halo Reach. No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to play Halo 4. Go play Reach if H4 is not your thing.

I’ve been playing Halo since 2001. This is the best Halo game since Halo 2 MP wise. Yes it has gimmicks that hardly affect gameplay but it still feels like the good old Halo I remember.

It sounds like you want another halo 2, I can’t blame you, never played it online but my brother did, he said it was amazing, but back onto my point, all of these new features are the game evolving, its still halo at its core, everything has a counter. While I agree everything is not perfect, you’re forgetting we’ve got 2 new games heading our way in the coming years it gives time for 343i to improve and perfect these ideas.

Still why would you want another halo 2? Another version of a game you’ve already played? It would be pointless, I would say go play halo 2 but unless you play on pc that’s impossible now, hopefully halo 2 anniversary is heading our way, with halo 2’s multiplayer instead of map remakes, then everyone will be happy.

Halo 2 anniversary! make it happen! 2014 XBox720

Why the hell does everyone who doesn’t like a current Halo game always compare it to the CoD franchise?

For christ’s sake people, I don’t like CoD that much, but I’m not so arrogant as to think any feature that is in a CoD game can never be in a Halo, as if that would somehow -Yoink!- the Halo waters.

Should we also remove the ability to aim and shoot from Halo? After all, we don’t want to be too much like Call of Duty.

If it is a good feature, it is a good feature. Who gives a damn what other game it is in?

> First off i’d like to introduce myself. I have been playing xbox and the halo franchise since the very first game and i love the series. Great story line, alot of action everything somebody would want in a video game. I’m a big halo fan altogether. Now onto my rant. Halo multiplayer has been changing drastically over the past few games. I’m not sure about everyone else but halo 2 was the true definition of the best online multiplayer experience. Call me old fashioned but i liked having to work for a rank, i like having to have teamwork and being able to control a game, i like competition. The halo series has gone so far away from all these factors that it is just hard to get into the game anymore. I used to be able to play halo 2 for hours on end, going into matchmaking working hard to get a rank in each and every game type they had, from team slayer, team skirmish, team snipers, team swat (even though it wasn’t a favorite), big team battle. Seriously what happened to the ranking system?
>
> My thoughts, halo is trying way, WAY to hard to mimic call of duty. Halo is halo, call of duty is call of duty, stop trying to be like them. Before call of duty came out halo was the best franchise in the game, now since halo is trying to mimic them, the franchise has fallen off and now i believe call of duty has become the bigger and better franchise because of THEIR originality. Halo 2 had individual ranks in each playlist you had to work for, you could loose rank which made competition that much more fun. Halo 3 still had the same concept but made it much too easy to rank up. There was 100x more 50’s in halo 3 than there were in halo 2. The highest rank in a game is meant to be for the best players in the game who could reach it, not for anybody that had hours of time on their hand who can play the same mind numbing game over and over gaining exp to reach the highest rank. This is where halo is trying to mimic call of duty. COD introduced this ranking system which works in their game IT DOES NOT WORK IN HALO. I can play against people in halo 4 which are a good 10 levels higher than me but are much worse. I remember when you faced a higher level you knew you were in for a real challenge.
>
>
> Still going on the topic of how halo tries to mimic call of duty, where did load outs comes from? Where did kill came come from? Where did instant respawn come from? Where did ordinance (equivalent to kill streaks but easier to earn with assists) come from? What happened to gaining power weapons that MEANT something. This game has become so dulled down and simplified so anybody could play it. A DMR (which you spawn with) can kill a sniper across the map in 5 shots (4 if good) to the head. Halo 2 that wasn’t heard of you couldn’t touch a sniper if he was across the map unless you could grab a BR and you were GOOD with it. No leading necessary in this game. Since Reach came out with these “upgrades” you can have at spawn, sprinting, jetpack, armor lock. now in halo 4 you have the same thing, everyone can sprint, and you can regenerate health, jetpack, not to mention the stupidest thing ever invented promethian vision which allows you to see enemies behind walls.
>
> I think i ranted enough and people are getting my point, any true halo player that has played from the beginning and has a love for the game will understand. DO NOT MIX MY WORDS UP. I am NOT saying halo 4 is a bad game, all i am saying is they are veering farther and farther away from the original concept of halo and going to the more generic every game concept idea. Bring back ranks, make us work for our level, make the game fair, don’t add in all these little stupid things. SIMPLE IS BETTER. I will bet money that if bungie (or 343 studios) ever recreated halo 2 multiplayer WITHOUT tampering it, only by simply upgrading graphics (which doesn’t even need that) it would get a much bigger fan base than any other halo that has recently came out. Please stick to original halo concept stop trying to be generic.
>
> I am open for and comments, additions, opinions.

Real Halo is now, not 2004.

You need to ADAPT. Kill cams, sprint, instant spawns, ordance, invisible spectator mode and website only ranks are the future of Halo, and much better than COD. ADAPT

Halo 4 is great! It is that direction that Halo needed to go and 343i has done an amazing job with it. I never cared for the show off ranking system of H3, so as long as it works behind the scenes I dont mind it not being there. But if that brings more people into Halo then fine bring it back. However I think 4 is near perfect as far as the direction they are taking the franchise.

obviously not getting the point im getting across.

@chatlistic i use BOLD to stress the point i want people to see, knowing most people browse through it they will look at BOLD rather than normal font.

@dsight, did i say the SAME game? no. but it completely different than original franchise game and is trying to copy another franchise, which is what i don’t like. i like playing original games, i get bored of playing halo 4 after a hour because i go up, up, up, up, up in rank. do not go down. Theres no point in trying to level up in this game.

@apocaleepse i do like effort in change, but they’re not changing anything, they’re copying. Throw in something that no other game has and make it fun, don’t take the concept from another game and throw it in a new one. I feel like im playing a call of duty/halo mix instead of a new game like its supposed to be built up to be.

@omgitsbees i dont like halo reach either, i like halo 4 better than reach, i sold my reach after i got to highest rank at the time (which like i stated before just took alot of time, no skill). i would much rather go back to halo 2 online. but oh wait they got rid of it…

@halonutter halo is still in the core yes, you play as a spartan, alien vs human idea, but the good halo i remember is map control, weapons control, timing weapon spawn, camo and overshield was a timed spawn on the map you had to control. Everything was on a time basis which made it fun. You had to control the map so you could get to the power ups/weapons in time to keep control of the map cause if the other team got one of those, it flopped the game. Keep in mind it was hard to control all these which made the game fun/fair/different every game you played which is why it never got old.

@jeremiemay it is like a cod franchise. look at the development of halo compared to cod. Since more people are going over to cod (as today proves less people are on halo because of cod release and halo is only a week old) every new halo that has come out is taking more and more concepts from cod and implying them to halo. look at my post above to halonutter about weapon timing in old halos. theres none of that in the new one

> “We want old halo back”?
>
> Don’t ever use the word WE because that implies all of us. You don’t speak for me. I like Halo 4 and I don’t want the old Halo back. I don’t want to pay $60 for the same game unless it’s an anniversary edition.

This.

Also, Anniversary Edition is only $40. :stuck_out_tongue:

> Real Halo is now, not 2004.
>
> You need to ADAPT. Kill cams, sprint, instant spawns, ordance, invisible spectator mode and website only ranks are the future of Halo, and much better than COD. ADAPT

they are not much better in halo, i like the kill cams, instant spawns and everything better in cod because it is meant for that gametype. halo has shields. you can get shot from someone top mid in the new halo, get them down to no shields, spawn instantly and you have full shields against their no shields. call of duty doesnt have shields its a equal game everyone spawns with a life thats it. no shields. cod is much more fast paced than halo.

i think most of you are missing the original point of my post where i said halo 4 is not a bad game, im not complaing saying its the worst game i’ve ever played, im simply stating its not as nearly as fun as it used to be. Halo 4 is gonna end up like every other game in series. washed up and boring people will be moving onto other games. Back when halo 2 was out there was no competition. No matter what games were coming out everyone kept going back to halo 2 cause they were getting bored of the other games. Now halo is one of those games were getting bored of and going to other games (in my opinion at least) when i had halo 2, i bought cod4 and GoW, but i would always get bored of them and go back to halo 2 A ORIGINAL XBOX GAME at that.

Meh, traditional Halo was getting too stale for me. I’m happy with all the changes. Much more fast paced and competitive.