we should be glad halo reach happend

Think about it this way, if 343i/bungie went straight from odst to halo 4 it would have been a disaster!!! possibly the biggest release in the halo series could have been a flop.
Heres why

without all this fuss going on now about aa’s and zero bloom/85% bloom etc etc. 343i would have gone into halo 4 with no community feed back on what works and what dosent work in halo.

for example, it is clear now most people dont like armor lock, a majority dont like aa’s at all and prefer zero bloom ns gametypes(me included)

all the mistakes made in reach will help benefit the production of halo 4, im not saying reach was a bad game but there are always little things that could be changed.

peace!!

Think of Reach as the Dark Ages in Halo history. Perhaps Halo 4 will be the Renaissance?

> Think of Reach as the Dark Ages in Halo history. Perhaps Halo 4 will be the Renaissance?

Dark Ages= how many people died on Reach

true true good point op.

343i wouldn’t have made the mistakes made in Reach.

Most of the hated game mechanics new to Reach were actually copied from a game called Shadowrun. It is a known fact that Sage Merrill, the guy put in charge of the Reach sandbox, was also one of the game designers for Shadowrun. 343i wouldn’t have added things like AAs or bloom because they don’t employ Sage Merrill (or anyone else who would try to turn the game into “Shadowrun II: Halo Edition”).

> 343i wouldn’t have made the mistakes made in Reach.
>
> Most of the hated game mechanics new to Reach were actually copied from a game called Shadowrun. It is a known fact that Sage Merrill, the guy put in charge of the Reach sandbox, was also one of the game designers for Shadowrun. 343i wouldn’t have added things like AAs or bloom because they don’t employ Sage Merrill (or anyone else who would try to turn the game into “Shadowrun II: Halo Edition”).

(mind blown) dude i bought shadowrun about 4 months ago and played it with my bros and we all were talking about how it feels like halo reach. it all makes sense now lol

> 343i wouldn’t have made the mistakes made in Reach.
>
> Most of the hated game mechanics new to Reach were actually copied from a game called Shadowrun. It is a known fact that Sage Merrill, the guy put in charge of the Reach sandbox, was also one of the game designers for Shadowrun. 343i wouldn’t have added things like AAs or bloom because they don’t employ Sage Merrill (or anyone else who would try to turn the game into “Shadowrun II: Halo Edition”).

Shadowrun was an unappreciated masterpiece and just needed the fanbase.

Shadowrun had:
Race choices (Dwarfs, Elves, Humans, Trolls)
Equipment/Spells to be purchased every round (Han-gliders, SMG’s/Swords, Teleportation)

Reach does not bear the two major game play elements behind Shadowrun (Race Selection/Purchasable Weapons&Abilities), it is also unfair to assume that one lone game designer can convince an entire studio to change the entire premise/engine of a major gaming franchise.

343 Industries Staff List
What!? Killzone, Metroid, CoD, Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Forza and a handful of other titles…

> 343i wouldn’t have made the mistakes made in Reach.
>
> Most of the hated game mechanics new to Reach were actually copied from a game called Shadowrun. It is a known fact that Sage Merrill, the guy put in charge of the Reach sandbox, was also one of the game designers for Shadowrun. 343i wouldn’t have added things like AAs or bloom because they don’t employ Sage Merrill (or anyone else who would try to turn the game into “Shadowrun II: Halo Edition”).

yeah i agree, the animations are so alike, the pistol reload and just some other stuff

> > 343i wouldn’t have made the mistakes made in Reach.
> >
> > Most of the hated game mechanics new to Reach were actually copied from a game called Shadowrun. It is a known fact that Sage Merrill, the guy put in charge of the Reach sandbox, was also one of the game designers for Shadowrun. 343i wouldn’t have added things like AAs or bloom because they don’t employ Sage Merrill (or anyone else who would try to turn the game into “Shadowrun II: Halo Edition”).
>
> Shadowrun was an unappreciated masterpiece and just needed the fanbase.
>
> Shadowrun had:
> Race choices (Dwarfs, Elves, Humans, Trolls)
> Equipment/Spells to be purchased every round (Han-gliders, SMG’s/Swords, Teleportation)
>
> Reach does not bear the two major game play elements behind Shadowrun (Race Selection/Purchasable Weapons&Abilities), it is also unfair to assume that one lone game designer can convince an entire studio to change the entire premise/engine of a major gaming franchise.
>
> 343 Industries Staff List
> What!? Killzone, Metroid, CoD, Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Forza and a handful of other titles…

-Yoink!- Zombies… New type of infection or firefight anyone?

The OP is rather biased…

> -Yoink!- Zombies… New type of infection or firefight anyone?

That’s what I’m hoping for, a new game mode or a massive overhaul of firefight.

yeah flood firefight would be so wicked, it would be like zombies on black ops kinda, if they chased after you not just like the Desmond elites in the current firefight

> -Yoink!- Zombies… New type of infection or firefight anyone?

You say this like it’s a bad thing! Thats the one thing I’ve wanted Halo to take from CoD for the longest time!

To the Shadowrun discussion:
Jetpack is like a carbon-copy of the Glider. The DMR and the Rifle have 15 round clips and the same reticule. Really the only difference between the two games (besides Races and Purchasable Weapons) is that Bloom actually worked in Shadowrun.

> To the Shadowrun discussion:
> Jetpack is like a carbon-copy of the Glider. The DMR and the Rifle have 15 round clips and the same reticule. Really the only difference between the two games (besides Races and Purchasable Weapons) is that Bloom actually worked in Shadowrun.

You forgot:
Magic (TELEPORTING through WALLS, as well as ghost bear sentries)
Franchise Success
Vehicles
Multiplayer Experience/Game Modes
Firefight
Forge Mode
Armor Customization
Genre Classification
Cross Platform Capabilities
Theater Mode
Reach actually has a Campaign as where Shadowrun was only tutorials/multiplayer

I don’t see how you can compare the two games that closely.

> > To the Shadowrun discussion:
> > Jetpack is like a carbon-copy of the Glider. The DMR and the Rifle have 15 round clips and the same reticule. Really the only difference between the two games (besides Races and Purchasable Weapons) is that Bloom actually worked in Shadowrun.
>
> You forgot:
> Magic (TELEPORTING through WALLS, as well as ghost bear sentries)
> Franchise Success
> Vehicles
> Multiplayer Experience/Game Modes
> Firefight
> Forge Mode
> Armor Customization
> Genre Classification
> Cross Platform Capabilities
> Theater Mode
> Reach actually has a Campaign as where Shadowrun was only tutorials/multiplayer
>
> I don’t see how you can compare the two games that closely.

You’re going to far into it. I should have added magic to the list of exceptions, but strictly looking at how non-vehicular multiplayer works in both games (so ignore Franchise Success, Gamemodes, Firefight, Forge, Armor, Genre, Platform Capabilities, Theatre mode and Campaign), you can’t help but notice the similarities. Reticule, Jetpack/Glider, Pistol Animations, Bloom, and DMR/Rifle clip size are all similar, if not identical, in both games. It’s quite obvious that Merrill implemented all of these via inspiration from Shadowrun.

> You’re going to far into it. I should have added magic to the list of exceptions, but strictly looking at how non-vehicular multiplayer works in both games (so ignore Franchise Success, Gamemodes, Firefight, Forge, Armor, Genre, Platform Capabilities, Theatre mode and Campaign), you can’t help but notice the similarities. Reticule, Jetpack/Glider, Pistol Animations, Bloom, and DMR/Rifle clip size are all similar, if not identical, in both games. It’s quite obvious that Merrill implemented all of these via inspiration from Shadowrun.

Haha, holy -Yoink-. Halo 4 with the same developers as Reach we would have had different class Spartans and we would be able to cast spells. We would be able to use -Yoinking!- magic.

> Reticule, Jetpack/Glider, Pistol Animations, Bloom, and DMR/Rifle clip size are all similar, if not identical, in both games. It’s quite obvious that Merrill implemented all of these via inspiration from Shadowrun.

I will concede these points with little resistance. Glider > Jetpack any day of the week though ^^

I REALLY don’t see why people hate Reach, I like it, it’s fun, campaign is good but short.

In the end, Bungie did what they wanted to do, created five Halo games worth my money buying, made them all link up, and play beautifully.

That’s a rather positive way of looking at it OP. Better than the dribble spouted by the crazy Reach fanboy’s/girls on this forum at least.

Still, though he does get a ton of the blame for making Reach the way it is, Sage Merill isn’t the only one to blame . After all, the community did complain about BR spamming (wtf were some of you smoking at the time? You can’t spam that weapon, you’re just mad at getting owned), jetpacks/AA (making equipment available to everyone on spawn when you previously had to fight for them) etc etc.

Of course, i still play Reach because i enjoy what 343 did with it. Before it was a total drag to play Reach after months and months of BS and while i do realize Reach did some pretty good things for Halo, it also was a major step back IMO. Didn’t help that it was very similar to Shadowrun :confused:

Then again, Shadowrun was awesome, if unappreciated in the extreme.

Here’s to Reach! Saving our favorite franchise! :slight_smile: