We need Asymetric Gametypes desperately

Hello everyone, I am Armorer and I have been a fan of Halo for many years. Like many of you, I was excited for Halo 5 to release, but was shocked when I saw the selections for gametypes in custom games and even more shocked that Forge mode would be delayed. Forge mode and custom gametypes go hand in hand. Without one, the other is useless. I am writing today to hopefully generate some discussion on the need for more gametypes from past Halo titles. As of 11/28/15, the gametypes available for play in Arena matchmaking and custom games are as follows;

1. Slayer
  2. Capture the Flag
  3. Strongholds
  4. Breakout
  5. Swat
  6. Free For All Slayer
  7. Shotty Snipers
  8. Neutral Flag
  9. Big Team Slayer
  10. Big Team Strongholds
  11. Big Team CTF

After the Battle of Shadow and Light update which added Big Team variants was released on November 16th, there is a grand total of 11 gametypes available in Halo 5. Now that number is misleading because not all of these gametypes are unique and different.

If we group them by category, things look
very different.

Slayer and variants

1. Slayer (4v4 slayer)
  2. Big Team Slayer (8v8 slayer)
  3. Free For all Slayer (1 v all slayer)
  4. Shotty Snipers (slayer with different weapons at start)
  5. Swat (slayer with no shields)
  6. Breakout (slayer with one life played in rounds)

Objective gametypes
7. Capture the Flag (4v4)
8. Big team Ctf (8v8)
9. Neutral Flag
10. Strongholds
11. Big team strongholds

Now, looking in the slayer variants, many of these gametypes are the same. In previous Halo titles, many of these gametypes could be created by editing settings from Slayer and creating your own gametype variant. But many of the gametype settings that were available previously are now missing in Halo 5 and we are left with this pale listing. Likewise in objective gametypes, CTF and Stongholds are the only Objective gametypes. And Strongholds is almost more like a Slayer variant in that kills are the points you gain by controlling areas of the map.

This is paltry compared to the gametypes available with Halo 3 at launch, or even Halo 2 such as Oddball, King of the Hill and others. I have posted in the general forum with no reply so I will try my luck here. Please help me voice to 343i that more gametypes and ability to edit these gametypes are essential to the community of Halo and the exclusion of these gametypes will only hinder the continued success of the game and the franchise as a whole.

Completely agree. I believe social playlists are essential to this game as the launch playlists were highly competitive. I should also add that team doubles and shotty snipers were only weekend playlists.

I totally agree, give us the objective game playlists like in the days of Halo 3.

It’s simple really, to get the magic of halo back, bring back the experience and matchmaking of Halo 3… It worked, it was magic, the rank system was good…and you didn’t have to open req packs to unlock armour.

But yes, social playlists, with objectives please.

> 2533274927853578;2:
> Completely agree. I believe social playlists are essential to this game as the launch playlists were highly competitive. I should also add that team doubles and shotty snipers were only weekend playlists.

I think it’s a matter of variety and less about the competitive nature of the playlists. I agree that the current Arena is geared towards a more competitive air, but any game type wether a social or ranked playlist is competitive by nature. I am much more concerned about the lack of variety when it comes to online play. As of now, WarZone, Slayer, Strongholds and CTF are the only choices for play, and Strongholds feels less like a spin on Territories and more of a Slayer variant