We don't need a blank canvas map for Forging.

NOTE: This is assuming that there won’t be a terrain editor incorporated into Forge, like what Far Cry 2 has.

It’s a common sentiment that I saw in the Bnet Reach forums that maps like Sandbox and Foundry should be brought back instead of maps like Forge World. Basically, maps that are entirely blank instead of maps with natural, built-in scenery.

I disagree with this simply because maps like Forge World can accomplish what maps like Sandbox and Foundry did, and add to it in the process.

Think about it. With maps like Forge World, you can have a flat, basic map like what Sandbox and Foundry started you off with. But say that you want to play around with natural scenery like mountains, cliffs, water, and trees. Blank maps like Sandbox and Foundry can’t give you any of that, but maps like Forge World, that have natural built-in scenery, can.

So basically, I think that we don’t need a remake of Sandbox or Foundry or any other blank map. Maps that have natural scenery already placed will do just fine. We need maps like Forge World and Tempest, not Sandbox and Foundry.

I agree. I think we shoudl be given a map like forgeworld but with a lot more flat ground that is perfectly flat for forging on. If we also got hold of some terrain items like ‘Hill, small’ and ‘Hill, large’ and so on so we can make our own terrain using existing tools.

Completely blank, maybe not but I would not want something as detailed as Forge World again. There are places in it where the frame-rate drops even before objects are added. That’s just ridiculous.

Bungie should have stayed with the original concept of multiple Forge World maps and not just one huge map with issues.

Too much detail comes with a resource price tag. A lot of people want something in between blank and fully detailed. Sandbox is a fairly good example of a minimal forge base map. If kill zones had been available in Halo 3 those Sandbox tower laser beams would not have been required and the map more usable too. I am guessing the tower beams plus associated sounds used considerable computing resources that could have been used in the object palette.

Actually there are very few large flat areas in Forge World. Add to that the Coliseum walls, when used for flat areas, cause tire screeching from hogs and mongeese.

Having the general layout of sections of Forge World with less applied detail would have been a good starting point. Let the map makers be able choose from a bigger object palette on a simpler map and they will be happier.

Even the applied sounds in a base map can use resources that could be better used for map construction.

All that being said, Forge world is a beautiful map.

You guys do realize that if they put a blank canvas, then there will be a bigger budget and they might add terrain forging

> Completely blank, maybe not but I would not want something as detailed as Forge World again. There are places in it where the frame-rate drops even before objects are added. That’s just ridiculous.
>
> Bungie should have stayed with the original concept of multiple Forge World maps and not just one huge map with issues.
>
> Too much detail comes with a resource price tag. A lot of people want something in between blank and fully detailed. Sandbox is a fairly good example of a minimal forge base map. If kill zones had been available in Halo 3 those Sandbox tower laser beams would not have been required and the map more usable too. I am guessing the tower beams plus associated sounds used considerable computing resources that could have been used in the object palette.
>
> Actually there are very few large flat areas in Forge World. Add to that the Coliseum walls, when used for flat areas, cause tire screeching from hogs and mongeese.
>
> Having the general layout of sections of Forge World with less applied detail would have been a good starting point. Let the map makers be able choose from a bigger object palette on a simpler map and they will be happier.
>
> Even the applied sounds in a base map can use resources that could be better used for map construction.
>
> All that being said, Forge world is a beautiful map.

Something between the sizes of Forge World and Tempest would be ideal, combining both Tempest’s framerate-friendliness and Forge World’s variety in terrain. Sandbox would be the best size for a Forging map.

However, I don’t think that Sandbox’s setting is best. Something like Tempest or Forge World’s setting (a tranquil, green, meadowy environment with water running through) would be best for general Forging. Sandbox’s desert environment doesn’t really give much to the Forger that wants to fiddle with or incorporate a prominent aspect of nature, like trees or water, in their map.

I love forgeworld how it is and really wanna keep it that way.

> You guys do realize that if they put a blank canvas, then there will be a bigger budget and they might add terrain forging

I don’t think that simply making a blank map would allow for terrain forging. What made Forge World more prone to framerate lag and other performance issues was because it was way too large and way too detailed for the engine to handle. Terrain forging would just magnify that problem.

Besides, I did say that the OP would only apply if future versions of Forge didn’t incorporate terrain editing.

Forge World was terrible, Tempest was too small, Foundry was amazing, and Sandbox was beautiful.

they should have allowed Forge objects on Forge World to be used on any other map. Hopefully they do that for Halo 4.

> Forge World was terrible, Tempest was too small, Foundry was amazing, and Sandbox was beautiful.

Why, though? Anything that you could do in Sandbox or Foundry you could do in Forge World. If anything, Tempest is the most beautiful map out of all of them, due to its great natural scenery like trees, rivers, and mountains.

I mean, would you really consider this (http://images.wikia.com/halo/images/9/91/Sandbox_msblog.jpg) to be more aesthetically pleasing than this (http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/screenshots/Forge_Bnet/Reach_Forgeworld02.jpg) or this (http://www.platformnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Halo-Reach-Tempest.jpg)?