We Can't WE Host Our Own Servers?

Everyone’s talking about playlists and I just thought, why can’t 343/Microsoft give us the option to host our own Custom Games just like how you do it with any online PC game? Don’t tell me it isn’t technically feasible either.

Heck, I mean anytime someone connects to your Custom Game through Live, you’re hosting your own server right there. All you need to do is make a list of all the public servers that are available.

It takes too much control out of their hands. I have a friend who complains about never being able to use shotguns on Battlefield because of ridiculous server rules.

I don’t see why Microsoft is too cheap to buy their own servers.

Have you played Battlefield 3? the “rent a server” update literally destroyed the game…

Personally, I don’t want personal servers in Halo. Dice did it for Battlefield 3 and now it’s nearly impossible to find an official server, which means you have to chose from others with a limited map rotation with high ticket numbers.

And with the amount of customization in Halo (which is not a bad thing) I feel we’d get a lot of servers with very wonky rules and player traits. That’s just me though.

> <mark>Microsoft is too cheap to buy their own servers</mark>.

[There is your answer.

Besides isn’t it a little late to add such a feature into a game when its comming out in a couple of months.

In a way, we do host our our servers. Whenever you open up a custom game, a temporary server is used to connect all players to one another. The game selects A player(usually the one with the best connection) to serve as a temporary host, and relies on their resources to run itself as long as the game is ran. This player is usually the one who hosts the game lobby. So in a sense, you already do host your own server; in every other game you play.

As someone said above me, it would allow players too much control. You would be able to kick any player who you didn’t agree with. You could force everybody to play the way you want them to play, which isn’t fun to others. You could limit gun usage, and even change the options to not allow a lot of things that make halo, halo. This should never be the standard of matchmaking, in any game.

See the monstrosity that is BF3 Rent-A-Server. Before this update, anybody could play fair games with anybody. Afterwards, you get terrible hosts who limit gun and vehicle usage, instant kill players who killed them/they don’t like, ridiculous 1-sided games that last for 6 hours, And if all of that isn’t bad enough, Hosts who will kick and ban anybody they feel like, for any of the stupidest of reasons(the worst I’ve seen was"Because I can".

> Besides isn’t it a little late to add such a feature into a game when its comming out in a couple of months.

Yeah, I suppose it is but still, as I said before, we’ve been using this functionality whenever we make Custom Games for friends anyway. All they would have to do is make a list of all public servers.

And here’s the thing. Since it’s so simple, you can still have time to work on playlists. It’s not like they take up very much time to actually make either. I’m pretty sure most of the time spent making playlists is actually just time spent thinking about how it will be instead of actually making them. You don’t have to give them up.

> It takes too much control out of their hands. I have a friend who complains about never being able to use shotguns on Battlefield because of ridiculous server rules.
>
> I don’t see why Microsoft is too cheap to buy their own servers.

Your friend isn’t finding the right servers then. :confused:

I personally don’t see the hate for BF3 servers, I love being able to play big maps only now, and high ticket counts are fun at times.

For Halo, I don’t think it’s really important. Won’t that also end Trueskill matchups?

> > It takes too much control out of their hands. I have a friend who complains about never being able to use shotguns on Battlefield because of ridiculous server rules.
> >
> > I don’t see why Microsoft is too cheap to buy their own servers.
>
> Your friend isn’t finding the right servers then. :confused:
>
> I personally don’t see the hate for BF3 servers, I love being able to play big maps only now, and high ticket counts are fun at times.
>
> For Halo, I don’t think it’s really important. Won’t that also end Trueskill matchups?

I wouldn’t know, I don’t play the game. It seems others are affirming my predictions about how that kind of thing can mess up a game.

The thing with Halo is it already provides plenty of variety in it’s playlist. The original push for servers is because of how terrible the connections can be on the peer to peer system.

Have u played BF3? The people on there who host servers are complete -Yoinks!- who will kick u just out of pure rage. If you own one of the admins they’ll kick you for nothing. Now that’s something i would hope to never see in a Halo game.

Instead of getting our own servers, they should make a Custom Game Browser where you limit your search to find a Custom match that you want to join.

Much like Battlefield 3 has but it should be free to host and join Custom Games.

> Have u played BF3? The people on there who host servers are complete -Yoinks!- who will kick u just out of pure rage. If you own one of the admins they’ll kick you for nothing. Now that’s something i would hope to never see in a Halo game.

Then avoid those servers. Most servers I hop on, the admins aren’t there or they aren’t rage kickers.

> Have u played BF3? The people on there who host servers are complete -Yoinks!- who will kick u just out of pure rage. If you own one of the admins they’ll kick you for nothing. Now that’s something i would hope to never see in a Halo game.

Finds Server “Hmm, No Camping rule… Sounds Good”
Joins Server
Kills Camper "Ha! You shouldn’t Camp n00b!!
Gets kicked by Admin (the camper you just killed)

-___________________________________- WOW smh.

Happens all the time.

Custom Servers SHOULD NOT be in Halo 4. BUT, Custom Game Browser SHOULD!!!

You’ve played BF3, right, with the sever’s being purchased for a certain amount of time? Have you ever been kicked/banned from a server for killing the host with an RPG after he was spawn-trapping you? That happened to me last night.

I like the extended tickets that now comes with BF3, but having an admin/host kick you after shooting his LAV in the face with an RPG is just disgusting.

I’d rather keep Halo clean from those types of morons.

Very different things here.

Halo, and many PC games, are Client and Host based. They are not Server based.

People have asked for a custom game finder, which is an option, but that does not mean that we are “hosting a server”. Your Xbox is not a server. Your Modem/Router is not a server.

Similar, but very different at the core.

> Everyone’s talking about playlists and I just thought, why can’t 343/Microsoft give us the option to host our own Custom Games just like how you do it with any online PC game? Don’t tell me it isn’t technically feasible either.
>
> Heck, I mean anytime someone connects to your Custom Game through Live, you’re hosting your own server right there. All you need to do is make a list of all the public servers that are available.

Because it isn’t required. There have a system that automatically chooses the best host for each game based upon a variety of factors to give players the best experience possible.

> > Have u played BF3? The people on there who host servers are complete -Yoinks!- who will kick u just out of pure rage. If you own one of the admins they’ll kick you for nothing. Now that’s something i would hope to never see in a Halo game.
>
> Then avoid those servers. Most servers I hop on, the admins aren’t there or they aren’t rage kickers.

The only time that actually happens to me is if i’m not playing in one the servers i favored. Half the time the servers i favored usually expires. -_- then it takes me a good while to find yet another good server to like that has good admins.Another thing i hate about custom servers is that the admins will put all good players on their side of the team and will destroy the weak team like crazy.

> > Everyone’s talking about playlists and I just thought, why can’t 343/Microsoft give us the option to host our own Custom Games just like how you do it with any online PC game? Don’t tell me it isn’t technically feasible either.
> >
> > Heck, I mean anytime someone connects to your Custom Game through Live, you’re hosting your own server right there. All you need to do is make a list of all the public servers that are available.
>
> Because it isn’t required. There have a system that automatically chooses the best host for each game based upon a variety of factors to give players the best experience possible.

Lol. Thanks for the laugh man.

> Very different things here.
>
> Halo, and many PC games, are Client and Host based. They are not Server based.
>
> People have asked for a custom game finder, which is an option, but that does not mean that we are “hosting a server”. Your Xbox is not a server. Your Modem/Router is not a server.
>
> Similar, but very different at the core.

Very well. Let’s have a Custom Game Finder then. Makes no difference to me. Probably preferable actually. I’ll make a poll in Pollbooth for this.

> > Very different things here.
> >
> > Halo, and many PC games, are Client and Host based. They are not Server based.
> >
> > People have asked for a custom game finder, which is an option, but that does not mean that we are “hosting a server”. Your Xbox is not a server. Your Modem/Router is not a server.
> >
> > Similar, but very different at the core.
>
> Very well. Let’s have a Custom Game Finder then. Makes no difference to me. Probably preferable actually. I’ll make a poll in Pollbooth for this.

You mean a File Browser search? If so, then I doubt it has been removed, for many people shared their games, maps and videos with that and not Bungie Pro. Custom Games’ search is really just a File Browser search, if you want that at all.