We can reasonably expect SMG AND AR.

So i listened to the sparkcast and heard the DMR is also returning, as well as the BR which is confirmed. So two similar weapons with a similar function and use, yet different mechanics. I think its smart, but only if they’re introducing tons of weapons into Halo 4 (great idea :D) so that lots of weapons will both return and also lots be newly introduced.

This made me think. The SMG replaced the AR in Halo 2, but then in H3 they put both in. I mean sure, dual wielding and all. But i think the SMG must be glorified in H4. An Assault Rifle for most encounters, full auto, short to mid range, that sort of thing. But to have a SMG as well, to focus more in close range and fire faster, but not be much accurate or powerful.

This would mean the combination of fast fire and close range would be better at close range but lots of bullets would miss at longer distances. An AR just guns down at more ranges with its power and better accuracy. But close up? The rip of many bullets coming off at a range in which they would hit would push away the AR as its rate of fire would actually overtake its lack of power. This means one SMG can kill faster than an AR at close range, and TWO SMGs would topple the AR. But i think there should be reason to sometimes burst fire the SMG but mainly in dual wield as it gets even worse accuracy.

So a dual wield SMG if used properly would mean bigger capacity at normal ranges but destructive rain at close. All this would also give meaning to choosing a single SMG over a single AR.

That is the main thing i hated about the SMG in halo 3, i would only feel confident if i had two SMGs, otherwise i always picked the AR.

What do you think?

I’m actually really surprised that 343 is putting the DMR and BR in, as like you say, they are similar.
OT, Quite likely as they have two similar guns already, why not bring it back? Preferably silenced!

AR > H3 SMG

BUT ODST SMG BEATS ALL

SO ODST SMG

> AR > H3 SMG
>
>
>
> BUT ODST SMG BEATS ALL
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> SO ODST SMG

Yes, i liked the ODST SMG quite a bit. When i was shooting at grunts.

Can you imagine that thing versus a SPARTAN IV with an AR or two beefy unsilenced SMGs? Id take my chances elsewhere.

> > AR > H3 SMG
> >
> >
> >
> > BUT ODST SMG BEATS ALL
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > SO ODST SMG
>
> Yes, i liked the ODST SMG quite a bit. When i was shooting at grunts.
>
> Can you imagine that thing versus a SPARTAN IV with an AR or two beefy unsilenced SMGs? Id take my chances elsewhere.

Maybe if they made it better BUT i see your point …

If they are really going to do custom load outs, they will need many weapons that work in the same way
BR, DMR, Other new ones.