We are not John 117.

I am sorry to break this to people, but I hear this this argument when talking about revealing his face or not doing something along these lines. John is a character, he has a past. I know its cool to imagine yourself as him, but you haven’t been put through the same things as him. This idea only will hinder good character development.

[deleted]

So for the love of John stop dressing like him and using S117 or J117 as an id tag it defeats the purpose of them if everyone has the same one!

While it was cool when the series started. I too agree that with the introduction of his past instantly made it clear you aren’t Chief. I personally got a little bored with Bungie’s “faceless solider” angle. And I think by the end of this trilogy we will see Chief’s face. And if we do I think it needs to be voted on by the fans.

Reasonable, I’m talking about others for the above statement. I don’t want to see his face also. But what I’m talking about is more about people envisioning themselves as cheif

> While it was cool when the series started. I too agree that with the introduction of his past instantly made it clear you aren’t Chief. I personally got a little bored with Bungie’s “faceless solider” angle. And I think by the end of this trilogy we will see Chief’s face. And if we do I think it needs to be voted on by the fans.

Exactly, once they state a past he is not longer you. It was in all honesty a cop out to not put forth the best story they could. 343 has the right idea

[deleted]

I’ve always treated Master Chief as a unique character, not just simply me in his shoes. But I just think that revealing his face would be a bad idea. I’ve already seen one horrible character unmasking this year, and that one alone is enough to last me a lifetime.

No we are not, but when we play video games we step into the shoes of those hero’s for an hour or four. Your argument is valid and I kinda would like to see his face but to say we can’t form a bond with the character is silly. Also Bungie left him faceless so as to, and I’m paraphrasing here, “give the player a connection to the hero”. They wanted you to “become” John for the little time you spend with him. So while I like “becoming” John for a little while I also understand he is a character with a face that is not mine and A life that probably would cripple me phyisiaclly and most likely emotionally.

Never really did imagine myself as John-117. Now the Rookie I can imagine myself as him.

OP brings up good points. He has a past, he is a character. But I don’t watch master chief slay through the first 3 games and into this one without attaching my play style to him. As far as I am concerned Master Chief is me. I take on the backstory, history, time-honed skill, etc. But at the same time, it should not come as a suprise that I am not actually a half ton, biologically enhanced super soldier. But when I pick up the controller, Chief is me. He does as I do, and there is complete synchronization and immersion. Showing master chief’s face breaks that immersion completely. Now I am watching the chief. I don’t want to see the chief’s face at all. Once I see the chiefs fate i fell that chief now has a predetermined future in which I am only the observer, not the causative influencing force of my own fate.

I don’t think we’ll ever see Chief’s face - and honestly I’m glad for that. I think it was enough to see his eyes this time around.

The “You are the Chief” arguement IS a bit of a cop-out, true. Most importantly, being the man behind the mask is essential to his character. It’s important to both the narrative, and his place in the universe, that he act as a cipher for the player and a symbol for those around him.

For us, he’s the vessel through which we see the world. He has to be free, therefore, of too much of his own inner voice. He needs to emote enough for us to identify with him, but not so much that he drives our experience of the events we experience with him. The helmet helps us to identify him as somewhat less human than ourselves, and allows him to take his part in the narrative for us.

For them, it’s very important that he’s not “human.” He’s something else… more powerful, more capable. Free from concern or fear - for all intents and purposes, a pure killing machine. This is not a person you commiserate with… it’s the person who goes charging forth into a hail of fire, and who you are helpless to follow after. To be able to see his face would undermine his mettle. You see his face, and he’s just a man… like you. Flesh and blood, like you. Fallible - mortal - like you.

The web-series “Forward Unto Dawn” demonstrates this perfectly in the end, when the Spartans, save the Chief, remove their helmets to show that… they’re just kids in a fancy suit of armor.

No… Chief is best left with his helmet on. It serves the character better than a cheap reveal would.

> OP brings up good points. He has a past, he is a character. But I don’t watch master chief slay through the first 3 games and into this one without attaching my play style to him. As far as I am concerned Master Chief is me. I take on the backstory, history, time-honed skill, etc. But at the same time, it should not come as a suprise that I am not actually a half ton, biologically enhanced super soldier. But when I pick up the controller, Chief is me. He does as I do, and there is complete synchronization and immersion. Showing master chief’s face breaks that immersion completely. Now I am watching the chief. I don’t want to see the chief’s face at all. Once I see the chiefs fate i fell that chief now has a predetermined future in which I am only the observer, not the causative influencing force of my own fate.

I like this idea as well, kind of putting yourselves together. As I said I would also care not to see his face but to recognize he has one and its not mine