Ways 343 Can Keep Mulitplayer Populations Up!

First of all either you’re a Halo fan or you’re not… If you’re a FAN the next question is to what degree. Some Play Halo and only Halo… Others play it along with other games like COD or skyrim.

First to the 343 team I think the overall job on Halo was great!! But what this post is about is not what I ‘mostly love’ of the game… Its about what I think needs to be done to RETAIN multiplayer players…as I dont think it is :frowning:

First of Halo 4’s current progressive ranking system is somewhat comparable to the ‘military rank’ of Reach AND Halo 3 in these ASPECTS: A) It has little to do with skill & ranks you up more on frequency of play - You barely get less XP when you lose - so you play more and you rank up about as fast as those winning ) This progressive rank up is way too EASY and FAST !!! I work 40 to 60 hours a week… The game has only been out one month and Im a level 59 ! I just read the other day the MAX rank has already been maxed out by someone and the game has only been out a month.

Alot of fans ( even pretty dedicated ones ) play for the challenge to keep ranking up… This gives us all another incentive to keep playing & something to look foward to is moving up and getting another perk ! 343, How are you going to make HALO 4’s system which ranks you up so fast that YOU guys(343) have now REMOVED another reason for masses of playersto log on often to XB LIVE and play Halo4? If a player has no perks and have hit the MAX rank then why will they log on as often ?? It took the first player almost a year to hit the max rank in REACH !

Also I read the first player to hit the max rank has said he is stuck now at the SPECIALTY he was using when he hit the max rank ! How are you going to keep a player stuck at one specialty after they earned them all ? This may be a bug, but come on…

It’s clear the ranking system as USUAL wasn’t put on the list of important things… Yet this is something so easy to fix 343 - yet so big you could litreally DESTROY the multiplayer population - THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ABOUT THIS GAME - if you dont fix it and quick !

Give XB LIVE players a reason to keep playing often by KEEPING THEIR INCENTIVES of moving up as an option… When you make a system so easy to MAX out you’re removing reasons for someone to log on as often whether they even realise it or not. You’ve made it toooo easy my friends… I love this game and want to keep enjoying it… I never hit the max rank in Halo Reach by the way - but in this case I should in just another month or so !

  1. IMHO, 343 now needs to add more ranks… because you can’t go back and retro current ones ( change the requirements and make it harder ) and alienate ones who have already ranked up… The only thing left do to is ADD MORE ranks and please make them alittle harder to obtain ( More XP MUST BE REQUIRED )… Now if you’re going to add more ranks… it means someone needs to add more armor perks or something, huh? Yeah you made ranking up easier like COD, but in COD you get a badge when you max rank to show you MAXED and start over and keep getting badges - you guys didnt even do that… how about just adding more ranks like up to 200 ? But require more XP so we dont reach max rank in another month?!

  2. RELEASE A SKILL BASED RANKING SYSTEM alongside the current progressive ranking system… SO people with equal skill with be paired with people they can play fairly against… Also let us see our skill rank - We all want to see it…

I love Halo 4’s leveling system. I want it to be POSSIBLE to reach the final level. I have played Reach hours upon hours and am only a Field Marshall. I don’t mind if they add ranks, as long as they are specializations. I want actual perks for level up. Not a new armor every ten ranks like previous ones. Specializations are one of my favorite ideas of 343 (except that hardly anyone gets them…) But NO PRESTIGE! That is literally my least favorite thing about ANY multiplayer game. Go look at Assassin’s Creed Revelations, ninety-freaking-nine prestige? I would love more specializations and levels, but not for a while. Let the community level-up some. Specializations are where its at, people will keep coming back to get awesome new tactical packages and support upgrades. (Sorry if sounded rude, I didn’t mean to, I just really hate prestige)

First its nice to see you agree perks of somekind are needed. TO keep XB Live populations strong I dont think 343 put alot of thought into this system which ranks you up too fast. Playing online is all about challenges and rewards.

While I agree with you its nice to have a final level thats “reachable”, you have to consider what it’ll feel like in just 2 months when we ARE ALL level 130’s ? I mean everyone in this game should not be maxing out in just 2 or 3 months… I thnk maxing out in a year would be ideal for the majority of the population…

Once a player max ranks, receives all perks and all specialties they will simply not play as often. YES - RIGHT NOW FOR AWHILE they will keep playing because they are ahead of everyone and rightfully showing off some that they are an 89, or a 120, or 130 ( and Im only a 59 )… BUT what HAPPENS in 3 months when everyone is MAXED and we’ll have nothing to show, no challenges or rewards/incentives ? At least when you max out in COD you get a stupid badge and start over… NO I DONT LIKE COD ( but if you do thats fine )

It just seems like populations are already dwindling some… I love this game and want to keep it around

Here’s a good one.

  1. Get rid of all this CoDesque crap and return to classical Halo roots
    And then suddenly you have a good Halo game!

Ranked and social playlists should be added. Actually… Let infinity matchmaking take the place for social. All we need are ranked playlists.

> Here’s a good one.
> 1. Get rid of all this CoDesque crap and return to classical Halo roots
> And then suddenly you have a good Halo game!

Heres a good one. None of that CoDesque crap originated in CoD.

> > Here’s a good one.
> > 1. Get rid of all this CoDesque crap and return to classical Halo roots
> > And then suddenly you have a good Halo game!
>
> Heres a good one. None of that CoDesque crap originated in CoD.

This is a well known fact. It also means nothing anymore because most people associate it with CoD.

TO: I ACTION ALEX, Not a bad idea all man ! … but even if they did that… I feel ranked players should still move up in progressive rank and get perks ! A player like you or me that’s played H4 for a year( ranked games or not ) should not be stuck at 130 like someone whose played 2 months and be stuck with the same equipment… they simply gave all the perks away too quickly…

I think ideally adding skill rank ( as they said they are ) and adding more of the current progressive skill rank ( higher maybe up to 200 ) to also show you’re not just as this game but you spend time in it as well…

I do like how they were saying they would give a seperate skill rank on particular games like H3… IE, you’re level 40 in snipers… you’re level 45 in big team, you’re level 39 in dominion

> > Here’s a good one.
> > 1. Get rid of all this CoDesque crap and return to classical Halo roots
> > And then suddenly you have a good Halo game!
>
> Heres a good one. None of that CoDesque crap originated in CoD.

Regardless, it doesn’t have a place in Halo.

> > > Here’s a good one.
> > > 1. Get rid of all this CoDesque crap and return to classical Halo roots
> > > And then suddenly you have a good Halo game!
> >
> > Heres a good one. None of that CoDesque crap originated in CoD.
>
> Regardless, it doesn’t have a place in Halo.

Exactly. People played Halo because it was Halo. If they wanted to play CoD they’d go play CoD. No point in playing some crappy hybrid.

> I love Halo 4’s leveling system. I want it to be POSSIBLE to reach the final level.

Your kidding i hope?
I think if you want hte max level you should work for it not just get it in a month.
In reach i habe like 21 full days of gaming so thats 504 ours of gaming,
I am only hero now and halo 4 system should be like reach’s too

If you really want the population to go back up.

  1. Start on making a really large and open Forge World with new parts and fix the issues forgers have noted, like the lack of Zooming in as well as the option to tun off lightning so they can move faster in and out from player mode and back. Customs and file share has to be working. Offer it has a free DLC. DONOT CHARGE FOR IT.

  2. Add new Vehicles with that DLC that are interesting and unique. UNSC Air vehicles a must.

  3. Place in the VSR, but allow it to be turned off by the individual if desired. E-peen trolling made Halo 3 a haven for cyber bullying and stat shenanigans. XP remains for Armor Hounds.

  4. Offer new and and familiar Armor with webbing and pouches along side the actual Master Chief Armor from Halo’s campaign with the free DLC.

  5. Hire a better map maker who understands 4v4 and open BTB maps.

  6. Place a secondary vote where players can vote for classic load out. This means that players have to go into their loadout screen and change to a Classic Start. AR/Mag /BR/Mag/no AAs/ No Specialization/ No Traits, in order to spawn in. If 343 can turn off Ordnance with this vote and place power weapons on the maps in key points then all the better for the H3 guys.

  7. Slow the XP gain down in Spartan Ops. While fixing the netcode and lag issues for them. If not remove the fourth player and let them play as a three man and double teams. Less Lag and more team work. I would really look at the campaign and pick other locations for Spartan Ops as much as possible. No repetitive maps in the same week or a reverse order mission in the follow up week. Broad Sword Missions a must in Season 2. Selected maps recoded for firefight so players have something in between seasons. Episode would release every Monday but Missions would release each day, not all at once.

  8. Campaign Co-op enabled.

  9. DMR is relegated to a Ordnance Drop. No nerf.

  10. AAs like the Thruster Pack and Jet Pack are set to Campaign levels. If you don’t like that then vote for Classic or join a classic playlist. Operator Perk buffed to give vehicles more power on the maps and aim assistance lowered. In fact all Specialization are ramped up along side your shields in a normal no holds barred match.

  11. 4 New Promethean enemies added to Spartan Ops Season 2 along side new characters and better dialogue, all the cartoon characters out and actual military handlers in. It will draw players back if you introduce enemies that are actually fun to fight rather than cybernetic Skirmishers and Buggers along side new Promethean vehicles and weapons.

But mostly you have to add maps that are fun at a lower MS rates for right now and the lag has to be dealt with.

first of all adding more rank will either make the player lose hope of reaching the max rank, or simply playing more.

After level 130: Every 40 levels, you gain an extra loadout class slot. From that level 1 - 40, it gets progressively harder, then the next level 1 - 40 starts easy again.

There should be 10 loadout options in total.

Therefore, max level will be level 330. That will keep ppl occupied lol

EDIT: Also, 1-50 kept people playing for years trying to level up their truskill

there should also be MORE daily and weekly challenges, especially for low population game modes. that will keep population up

> > Here’s a good one.
> > 1. Get rid of all this CoDesque crap and return to classical Halo roots
> > And then suddenly you have a good Halo game!
>
> Heres a good one. None of that CoDesque crap originated in CoD.

So what? CoD popularized it and made it work for them. MS wanted Halo 4 to make $ so they stole what’s popular

> first of all adding more rank will either make the player lose hope of reaching the max rank, or simply playing more.

COMPLETELY DISAGREE, By your OWN philosophy what you say would only be true if you reached MAX rank like a year from now and only then did 343 add alot more ranks WITHOUT A REASON… Common sense: LOOK & THINK… WE ARE ONLY ONE SINGLE MONTH into a BRAND NEW game! I ( the original poster of this thread ) and the majority of players will nearing or hitting max rank in another month or soon after! Where’s the challenge? NO OTHER HALO game has set such a ridiculously low standard for meeting max rank …

So by your own account we will all be better off stuck ( in a new game that next month will be 2 months old and we all payed 60 dollars for ) at the MAX level & HAVING EARNED ALL PERKS POSSIBLE just not have anything else to work towards ?? SO to you all those players who worked hard and maxed up already will simply be stuck ( as ALL OF US SOON WILL BE ) at their current rank with NOTHING to show as others who play less and arent as good catch up very quickly ( only weeks from now ) and have the exact same perks at they do only a few months into a brand new game.

The whole point of leveling up in any game is having a system that shows you play more and have earned XP to show it. Also being able to earn new perks keeps players coming back more often. IF soon EVERYONE is stuck at the same level the majority of people will get bored …they will log on less often … And without new perks, why bother? It would mean YOU AND I have esentially beat them game and the game has little else challenge to offer !

I played Halo 2… and even on Bungie own website moderators admitted it was very hard to reach a 40 without cheating… in H2 if you were a 34 you’d simply CRUSH a 30… IN halo 3 if you were a 40 you’d still get beat by a 30 ! In H3 it was much easier to get a 50 then a 45 in H2… But people kept trying… Why ? Maybe it was futile, but the challenge was there…

Remove the challenge and you remove the will to try … 343 look at current H4 multiplayer numbers… dwindling

> > > Here’s a good one.
> > > 1. Get rid of all this CoDesque crap and return to classical Halo roots
> > > And then suddenly you have a good Halo game!
> >
> > Heres a good one. None of that CoDesque crap originated in CoD.
>
> So what? CoD popularized it and made it work for them. MS wanted Halo 4 to make $ so they stole what’s popular

It was COD that stole Halo’s multiplayer formula. Yeah, COD added more perks first… they had more individual options first & the games have different stories ( campaigns )… BUT COD’s spawning 3 guys around you unfairly ( in example) and other addictive multiplayer features are much much more Halo then the other way around. They added some nice things in COD but the majority of the game play in multiplayer was modelled after Halo.

The facts are this: Halo 2 was being played online 2 years before Playstation network existed. Long before COD was even thought of… Long before a PS3 owner played it for the first time… Or long before a Xbox 360 owner played COD because Halo didnt come out as often - Halo did it first on consoles.

Where COD was always behind to this day is the sh@tty graphics… Halo always improved graphics each game … BO2 looks no better then something 2 years ago… but they keep putting them out because being multiplatform they dont have to worry about making any single ( MS or Sony , etc ) happy… they can keep COD quality generic without much scrutiny. For me COD is was too easy for anyone… You shoot you kill… In Halo even if I shoot first there’s no guarantee i win. STRATEGY is more posible in Halo… In COD if you want a good K/d it can only be done by camping always and knowing spawns