Waypoint Site Could Use Some Serious TLC

For one, it’s slow.

Two, the topics don’t need to be in pages. Just have a continuous stream of them that load when you reach the bottom. Like every other site on the web. This goes for the posts in the thread too. It is really annoying to have to go between pages constantly and refresh to see updates.

Three, Waypoint on mobile is horrendous. Sooo slow and jumpy.

Four, why can’t we view our videos from our fileshare on our computers? There is no good reason. Please, make it happen.

I like the overall design, but geez. It’s annoying to navigate.

I agree on the speed complaints. I’m all for eye-candy, but the speed tradeoff isn’t worth it, in my opinion.

However, pagination on forums exists for a reason. Nobody is going to be talking about the Halo 3 beta, except for reminiscence sake. My knowledge on the subject isn’t extensive, but I believe it’s also essential for web spiders.

Also, you can’t view videos on your fileshare from you computer, because it isn’t an actual “video”. When you’re viewing gameplay on your Xbox, you are viewing every step taken, every shot fired, and every grenade thrown. The reason why you can move the camera around the map while viewing gameplay is because your Xbox is essentially playing that game over again. However, if videos are rendered, they can certainly be played on your computer!

I agree that the forums seem to be a bit slow at times. I find the slowest thing is when I try to load the ‘My Topics’ page - this always seems to take 30sec+ for some reason.

Also, there is a good reason why you can’t view your fileshare videos on the site - they’re not videos. They’re just data files storing information about locations of players at particular times, who’s shooting and when etc. etc.

This data file needs to be played through an xbox to view the film (or a computer somehow converts it into a video file like Bungie’s servers used to) - it’s not a video itself.

It would be nice if 343i could add such a feature though as not everyone can afford a capture card.

Unfortunately I think they said they have no plans to do so - which basically means it’s not going to happen.

> Two, the topics don’t need to be in pages. Just have a continuous stream of them that load when you reach the bottom. Like every other site on the web. This goes for the posts in the thread too. It is really annoying to have to go between pages constantly and refresh to see updates.

Nearly every website that does this suffers from an irritating issue: if you need to view things many pages back, you’ll have to keep all of the previous pages loaded. The page gets filled with more and more nodes that need to be maintained, processed, redrawn, and reflowed by the web browser, and things therefore get laggier and laggier as you load more pages.

Forward this. Waypoint is the slowest site I have ever been to. That should not be the case at all for such a high profile game.

Really 343, get better servers…code the site lighter…do something. This is not helping the population.

Especially since everyone HAS to come here to look at their CSR.
Leaves a bad impression.

Edit: For example, it almost took me a full minute to post this response and I have a 25mbs connection.

> For one, it’s slow.

sometimes yes, with some internet services, yes.

> Two, the topics don’t need to be in pages. Just have a continuous stream of them that load when you reach the bottom. Like every other site on the web. This goes for the posts in the thread too. It is really annoying to have to go between pages constantly and refresh to see updates.

Um, those are nice and all, but like Mr. Cobb, and Crazy has pointed out, those are nice, but they have their own issues.
I hate that style of pages, they’re great for threads/things that are somewhere between 1 & 5 pages long, but once you get into the threads that are close to the 20s, and the Yo and FOTT which number in the 100+ page count, the continuous stream is a REALLY BAD IDEA. Just about every site that has that feature, I’m forced to start at the top of the “Page”, and if there’s something I’m looking for that would be on page 101, that’s a very large amount of scrolling. Spliting threads up based on pages is a better way of doing things on forums. If I’m looking for a certain post, all I have to do is remember the thread, and page, and I can narrow down that post. Continuous stream pages are nice, but they aren’t the smart idea. They’re more for looks than function, and sometimes function should take priority over looks, especially on a forum board that tends to be slow sometimes.

But if waypoint did choise to use this style of paging, I suggestdemand an option to have pages be continuous stream, or broke up into pages like it is now. I put up with the continuous stream sytle on youtube when it comes to view history, and it’s a joke, I have to scroll through 10000+ videos just to find something I watched a long -Yoink- time ago.

> > Two, the topics don’t need to be in pages. Just have a continuous stream of them that load when you reach the bottom. Like every other site on the web. This goes for the posts in the thread too. It is really annoying to have to go between pages constantly and refresh to see updates.
>
> Nearly every website that does this suffers from an irritating issue: if you need to view things many pages back, you’ll have to keep all of the previous pages loaded. The page gets filled with more and more nodes that need to be maintained, processed, redrawn, and reflowed by the web browser, and things therefore get laggier and laggier as you load more pages.

Yeah, so lets stick to what works, vs what looks nice.

Also as Crazy has stated, the saved films from halo, aren’t actual videos, they’re more of really fancy scripts, the same idea as in game cutscenes in the Halo games, it records every single thing that happens, and then creates a file with a “list”/flow graph depicting what happened in the match, when you “watch” the saved film, you are in fact watching a Halo cutscene. If they was actual videos, you’d be stuck watching the match from the player’s point of view, you wouldn’t be able to de-attach your camera and fly around the map.

I hate to tell you this but my browsing experience is actually very fine.

Google Chrome userscripts:

-Hover Zoom
-ScriptSafe
-Linkclump
-Page Refresh

How do ya think I get around so quickly? :stuck_out_tongue: