Wasted money.

I find it hard to believe that 343 seems to ignore those of us who spent EXTRA MONEY for Map Packs. By making it near impossible to play those maps we pated extra for, 343 sends the message that they do not care. I’m left asking, what’s the point in buying anything 343 creates if its not usable?

On a monetary note, this is a revenue stream forcefully being disregarded by 343. WHY WHY WHY?

One solution would be to reward those of us who spent extra money on packs by at the very least featuring a DLC area and making it highly visible to ALL players, enticing more people to purchase them. Maybe even some bonus like extra SR points for playing a DLC map.

They just released a DLC playlist but I would be surprised if it became permanent. I agree with you, there needs to be more incentive for buying DLC. They tried with the limited edition but it didn’t work.

343 haven’t made it near impossible to play the DLC maps. The maps are integrated into every playlist in the game and available as and when people want in custom games. They have no legal obligation to provide a specific DLC playlist, even then whenever there is a DLC playlist its ALWAYS one of the least populated playlists, its been the same since Halo 3). Nowhere in the XBL Terms of Service or in the descriptions of the map packs/War Games map pass that you are guaranteed to play on them in online multiplayer.

The reason you can’t play is because the game has such a low population, and many (probably most) of that population doesn’t have any of the DLC. A developer can’t force people to buy something they don’t want, it up to the people if they do or not. To be honest, I blame they people who have the DLC, but because it doesn’t show they convince people not to buy it. If those people stopped complaining, reversed their -Yoink–backward thinking and actually tried to convince people to buy it, they maybe the maps they so desperately want to play on would show.

I completely agree that the DLC situation could be handled better than it is, but 343 are doing nothing different now to when Bungie were in control. The only difference being that during Bungie’s control Halo had a much bigger fanbase (most of whom bought the DLC) and less competition from other popular games. Thus they were able to introduce DLC restrictions into all but 4 playlists. With the population Halo 4 has currently and with many not owning any DLC, added map pack restrictions to the main playlists would probably just drive more people away, something any game developer doesn’t want.

Bungie had the advantage of ODST. The mythic disc came with all of the maps. So that’s why DLC is possible even to this day. I would go so far as to say that you have a higher chance of getting a DLC map on halo 3 than 4.

> Bungie had the advantage of ODST. The mythic disc came with all of the maps. So that’s why DLC is possible even to this day. I would go so far as to say that you have a higher chance of getting a DLC map on halo 3 than 4.

You do. I play DLC more easily on H3 than H4.

in my opninion they should handle map backs like in battlefield, make it available for everyone with a quick update so the maps actually get played… i think there is no point in paying for map packs there are enough other things we have to pay for

> > Bungie had the advantage of ODST. The mythic disc came with all of the maps. So that’s why DLC is possible even to this day. I would go so far as to say that you have a higher chance of getting a DLC map on halo 3 than 4.
>
> You do. I play DLC more easily on H3 than H4.

Well, yeah. It’s required for something like 85% of multiplayer.

The DLC was such a waste of money that I deleted them from my hard drive. No point in wasting my memory with maps which never come up. Not only that, I haven’t enjoyed a single DLC map since H3.

I tried a different approach here. Based on this quote:

> You can always check to see which maps are available in which playlist on the Halo 4 Playlists page.
>
> Also, Team DLC will be available as our featured playlist from 1.20-2.3, and <mark>we’ll be closely monitoring the playlist’s population.</mark> To see the Matchmaking Playlist Calendar, head here.

I am not sure if it will catch on, but it doesn’t hurt to try.

I really am just a fan of 343i and of Halo. I am going to support both financially as well as philosophically. That means buying map packs, and many other special edition items. I learned from Reach that I might not get a chance to play the DLC that often, but it didn’t keep me from buying it. I am also not going to blame 343i and demand my money back.

It is a perpetual cycle of, “why can’t I play these maps”, to “well they don’t have the maps why should I”, and now one I haven’t seen before, “I have them but I refuse to play them”. None of that really helps the situation. The only thing we can control is what we decide to play for the next two weeks. I still think it might be possible to change 343i’s minds and make a permanent DLC playlist again. They obviously aren’t doing it based on all the threads that are made about it. Maybe they will based on how many play for the next two weeks.

> and now one I haven’t seen before, “I have them but I refuse to play them”. None of that really helps the situation.

Sorry mate, I want to like the DLC (After all I did spend money on it) but they’re just so bad.

The thing is, the people who make the maps have to account for Sprint and Jetpack, and that extra burden results in lower quality maps.

Truth be told, I haven’t liked any maps released after Halo 3. H3 had a total of 2 maps which I didn’t like. I don’t like any maps in Reach, nor any maps in H4. AAs have ruined how maps were designed.

> in my opninion they should handle map backs like in battlefield, make it available for everyone with a quick update so the maps actually get played… i think there is no point in paying for map packs there are enough other things we have to pay for

You still have to pay for the maps if you want to play on them and the only reason why they add the DLC in a huge update is so that the none DLC owners can see what DLC weapons, Dog Tags a DLC owner has equipped.

The population is so low that it will be next to impossible to find enough players that have all the DLC maps to play them. Not much you can do about it.

> Firstly, <mark>your reference to there being no legal obligation for 343 to guarantee the availability of DLC maps in Matchmaking is an absurd point in the context of this discussion.</mark> You are absolutely right; there isn’t one, but <mark>that doesn’t mean a consumer isn’t entitled to voice his/her discontent with the current management of DLC. In my view, a consumer has every right to vocalise their unhappiness if they feel they did not get value in exchange for their money.</mark>
>
> With that out of the way, I think that a game needs to command a certain degree of popularity before it has any hope of successfully executing DLC playlists in the form of multiplayer map packs. As you say, Halo 4 simply does not achieve the necessary concurrent user population levels each day to successfully facilitate a DLC required playlist. The proportion of the active population which have purchased the maps is far too small. <mark>The only way for Halo to have successful DLC again is to be as consistently popular as Halo 3 was.</mark> It’s either that, or to <mark>make room for tools other than Matchmaking with which players can find each other online</mark>.

Lets do this in order of where I highlighted:

1. How is my point not in the context of discussion? People are demanding something that 343 doesn’t have to provide. I simply pointed this out. Sounds pretty relevant to the discussion to me.

2. I never said people couldn’t vocalise their point. I simply said that I blame the DLC owners (who apparently want to play on DLC maps so much) for convincing non DLC owners not to buy them. To me that makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

3. Halo will NEVER again be as popular as Halo 3 was. There is far to much competition out there from other popular casual games/generic shooters these days when compared to Halo 3’s time, all of which contribute to Halo’s current low population. Halo’s fan base wont ever be as big as it used to back in the early days

4. We have had no official information from 343 yet as to how the next Halo’s matchmaking will work. Frank O’Connor admitted in an interview that they know they made a load of mistakes with Halo 4 and they have learned from them. Maybe one of these mistakes was removing the search parameter filters, who knows? Maybe they will return with a DLC owner search option.

Either way I stand to my original comment as what I said is true. The only way we as a community will know otherwise is when 343 release information about how the next game is going to work.

Maps as $DLC just don’t work. There’s nothing 343 can do to fix that to any substantial measure. It’s a failed experiment. Just hope Halo 5 keeps the maps free because this model is outdated and bad for business.

I would not waste my money ever again on DLC for Halo.

They have added DLC playlists but 9 months too late

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> I find it hard to believe that 343 seems to ignore those of us who spent EXTRA MONEY for Map Packs. By making it near impossible to play those maps we pated extra for, 343 sends the message that they do not care. I’m left asking, what’s the point in buying anything 343 creates if its not usable?
>
> On a monetary note, this is a revenue stream forcefully being disregarded by 343. WHY WHY WHY?
>
> One solution would be to reward those of us who spent extra money on packs by at the very least featuring a DLC area and making it highly visible to ALL players, enticing more people to purchase them. Maybe even some bonus like extra SR points for playing a DLC map.

Welcome to politic of 343 and that is $… And that is way Halo 4 after 14 mounts have less then 20 000 players…

> They just released a DLC playlist but I would be surprised if it became permanent. I agree with you, there needs to be more incentive for buying DLC. They tried with the limited edition but it didn’t work.

I agree. The DLC for Halo 4 has not been managed the way it should. The addition of sprint made the large scale maps and the BTB playlist the biggest draw to multiplayer. 343 ships Halo 4 with BTB maps, and then makes the first DLC nothing but BTB maps! Today’s new DLC playlist is only 4v4 when majority of the DLC was designed for BTB!? It makes sense for the DLC playlist to be 8v8 but they didn’t do it for some reason.

> I agree. The DLC for Halo 4 has not been managed the way it should. The addition of sprint made the large scale maps and the BTB playlist the biggest draw to multiplayer. 343 ships Halo 4 with BTB maps, and then makes the first DLC nothing but BTB maps! <mark>Today’s new DLC playlist is only 4v4 when majority of the DLC was designed for BTB!?</mark> It makes sense for the DLC playlist to be 8v8 but they didn’t do it for some reason.

Crimson and Castle - 2 map packs made for Big Team game modes.

Majestic and Bullseye - 2 map packs made small standard 4v4 team game modes.

Even so, Harvest (from Crimson) and Daybreak (from Castle) are more like medium-large maps that are easily playable in 8v8 or 4v4 modes, much like Stand Off and Longshore are in Halo 3.

So in reality Halo 4’s DLC can be classed as 6 maps for BTB, but also 7 maps for 4v4. So technically there are more 4v4 DLC maps than BTB maps.