Was "The Library" really that scary?

I’d been hearing so much on these forums about how scray the flood were in the level “The Library” (Never played CE), yet I just finished that level on CEA and wasn’t scared on bit. Honestly the scariest thing about it was guilty spark’s damn singing, but even that was just annoying after 2 minutes. I even played in classic mode so the level would appear darker, yet I still didn’t even need to use the flashlight once.

The strange thing is, I was terrified when playing 2nd last level on Halo 3, yet most people told me “That level wasn’t scary at all, you should play the library”. It could be that the flood are only scary the first time you see them.

So, did you find the library scary? And if you did what about it was scary for you?

i hate H3’s Cortana so much more than The Library, although the latter is harder.

> i hate H3’s Cortana so much more than The Library, although the latter is harder.

I don’t “hate” either level. I was just suprised by the fact that it wasn’t anywhere near as scary as everyone msde it out to be imo.

oh, i HATE “cortana”. because it’s scary. that level is like a spider to me - i know it can’t harm me (not where i live) but it’s bloody disgusting. the library: not so much.
in CE the part where you first encounter the flood (during 343 guilty spark) is much more “scarier” than the library.

I actually think that 343 Guilty Spark was scarier for me than the Library, although that was pretty creepy. I think it has to do with that fact that I was only 13 or 14 at the time, and since I had never been exposed to horror movies, I wasn’t ready for that. Maybe try playing the Library with the lights off, maybe that will help :stuck_out_tongue:

the Library used to be scary. try playing it in classic mode. not on co-op. at 3 in the morning. after its facelift, its really not scary at all.

but i agree, Cortana is the one level i hate the most. the only time i played through that level is the first time, and once more for skulls and terminals. since then, ive played every halo 3 level several times, except Cortana.

i utterly hate the music they play every time you encountered the flood… >.<

> the Library used to be scary. <mark>try playing it in classic mode. not on co-op. at 3 in the morning. after its facelift, its really not scary at all.</mark>
>
> but i agree, Cortana is the one level i hate the most. the only time i played through that level is the first time, and once more for skulls and terminals. since then, ive played every halo 3 level several times, except Cortana.

Ahem…

“I even played in classic mode so the level would appear darker, yet I still didn’t even need to use the flashlight once.”

I played solo too. But as for three in the morning…yeah that might be a contributing factor.

When I was playing Halo CE I was only 10… lots of things were scary back then

I passed halo ce when I was roughly 7 on normal. Lol 343 GS is by far the scariest Halo map besides that level in Halo 2 where u encounter the flood as the Arbiter

Most played it when they were younger. Kids get scared easily. Even I hated the level… but I grew out of it.

And what’s the hate on “Cortana”? I loved that level.

I didn’t think either were scary, it was the first level (343) that scared me the first time I played it in CE.

> Most played it when they were younger. Kids get scared easily. Even I hated the level… but I grew out of it.
>
> And what’s the hate on “Cortana”? I loved that level.

Why? I found it annoying rather than enjoyable. Every other second was either Cortana or Gravemind going “BLAAAAAAAAHHHRRGGG!!!”

When your ten years old and its a Saturday night at any time beyond 10pm that -Yoink- was pretty scary. I played it recently as you have, and I’m going to be honest not as horrifying or as life altering as it was back then. Really didn’t see the point of the mission it was gruesomely long and difficult, but the worst has to be the Maw when your trying to throw the grenades into the vents and the flood(along with the sentinels just keep ruining your toss. Then Cortana keeps telling you that the rocket launcher is in the armory and your raging because now your looking for the armory and trying to keep the flood off your back. And, just when you think your done you have to grab a warthog that flips over every ten seconds and does a 360 in mid air ruining your jumps.

The Library isn’t scary or even hard. It’s just worst, most boring, most repetitive level of all in Halo series. No matter if you play it with classic or anniversary graphics - gameplay is just getting boring after 3 minutes of shooting another same-old waves of flood in same-old corridor. And then you go through another corridor. I’ve finished all Halo CE 4 times. Then Halo CEA 3 times. Now I stuck on legendary and just don’t want to play this level again (even through flood seems to be easier enemy than covenant). There should be achivement for finishing it more than once.

343 Guilty Spark was the only Halo level I’d constitute as “scary”; maybe because I played it when I was younger.

Personally I found the flood levels in Halo 1 and 2 to be very eerie and scary, but 3 was lacking. Halo 1 had you fighting the flood underground in the middle of some creepy foggy wooded area. The Library was also equally creepy, being alone in a forerunner structure with flood coming from all angles in very dark abandoned halls.(Love goin up that elevator too, very epic feeling with that sound when it starts) Halo 2 had some very creepy flood levels as well, some favorites in there too. Its all about the darkness, music, and seemingly unending waves of zombie alien mutants coming at you. Me and a friend replayed Halo 3 recently and they were just falling apart from a few bullets…definitely felt tougher in Halo 1 and 2, pretty much all things felt harder in Halo 1 and 2:)

I wasn’t afraid of The Library at all. I was really young when I first played Combat Evolved, and it was somewhere before I was 10 (5-ish). Halo was the first Mature-rated game I played, and I wasn’t scared, just a little uncomfortable about seeing marines taken over by The Flood. The Library doesn’t scare me now, nothing in a video-game does. But I’ve never played any “horror” video-games like Dead Space, that kind of stuff so I don’t really know. Nothing in the Halo games scare me, really.

> I wasn’t afraid of The Library at all. I was really young when I first played Combat Evolved, and it was somewhere before I was 10 (5-ish). Halo was the first Mature-rated game I played, and I wasn’t scared, just a little uncomfortable about seeing marines taken over by The Flood. The Library doesn’t scare me now, nothing in a video-game does. But I’ve never played any “horror” video-games like Dead Space, that kind of stuff so I don’t really know. Nothing in the Halo games scare me, really.

I played Doom 3 when I was 12… horrible experience.

Nothing in Halo series is really scary. Flood plot made some opportunities, but it feels like Bungie and Microsoft didn’t wanted to go any deeper (and making Halo M for mature). I like shooting flood. In fact, I don’t think Cortana is a bad level! It reminded me old System Shock 2 later level (anybody else played it?). But Library is just a flat corridor that takes more than half an hour of your life. Old Wolfenstein 3d had more interesting levels.
As for Doom 3 - it’s scary (as for a shooter). Its lead artist (Ken Scott) is working right now on Halo 4! Maybe there we will see some scary stuff :wink: