Was Palmer Supposed To Be Locke?

I can’t shake the feeling that after playing Halo 5, Locke was basically a forced character that was created as the result of backlash at Palmer’s character. Why else would they create Palmer and have her hold such prominence in Halo 4, Spartan Ops, and comics if she was just going disappear into the background in the coming games?

Given the complete lack of thought behind Locke and the fact that his very existence in the canon seems forced and unnatural, I have to conclude that Palmer was initially intended to fill his role in the story.

I would have seriously enjoyed the game more if it were Palmer in place of Locke.

what backlash? why was there backlash?

> 2533274807540513;2:
> I would have seriously enjoyed the game more if it were Palmer in place of Locke.

I actually agree with you, surprisingly. Would have allowed for an interesting character arc for her.

> 2533274796325288;3:
> what backlash? why was there backlash?

Because she was annoying and poorly written.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all. It would have eased transition more than layering yet more S-IV’s ontop of the story.

But people hated pretty much every H4 S-IV except for Thorne, often for pretty good reasons, so I can see why they drummed up more.

People hated locke for the mere idea of hunting chief, the backlash if it was palmer would have been hilarious.

I can’t stand Palmer, but I’d take her over Locke any day.

> 2583538179102961;7:
> I can’t stand Palmer, but I’d take her over Locke any day.

I don’t think that’s really fair. I think they tried to go back to the drawing board to make a more mysterious character with a bit of a more bad -Yoink- backstory to accompany him. The problem is that he isn’t fleshed out enough at all in the game, and his character is just poorly written overall in the game.

Surprised how well the rest of Osiris is written , however. I enjoyed them quite a bit. Just wish more time was given to them as well as Blue Team.

It does seem like it was supposed to be Palmer. Locke is a very bland and uninteresting character. Hopefully 343i hires some writers that aren’t god awful at their job.

They should have swapped out Tanaka for Palmer. As much as people don’t like her at least she has an established backstory from a previous game. There was already what seemed liked conflict between her and chief and definitely with Halsey, it would have made for a nice character to arc to watch her perception change and end up backing chief up.

> 2533274807540513;2:
> I would have seriously enjoyed the game more if it were Palmer in place of Locke.

especially to see her reaction to the sangheili love poem to her in the Arbiters camp

> 2533274850488681;11:
> > 2533274807540513;2:
> > I would have seriously enjoyed the game more if it were Palmer in place of Locke.
>
>
> especially to see her reaction to the sangheili love poem to her in the Arbiters camp

YES!!! -Yoink- YES!

> 2533274805095781;9:
> It does seem like it was supposed to be Palmer. Locke is a very bland and uninteresting character. Hopefully 343i hires some writers that aren’t god awful at their job.

Seriously. Reed needs to go. I’m sorry but he just can’t be involved in the franchise anymore after this debacle with the campaign. It’s gonna take awhile for me to get over it.

There has been a trend where they pull out one person completely. I would like to see a game based off of her and the other on infinity. Kinda like Spartan ops but just a full game.

i’m confused why people think Locke is “bland” and yet everybody loves John. the man has had like 27 lines of dialogue between 5 games and 22 of them were in 5. Chief has always been one of the most generic characters in video gaming, he’s got about as much depth in the games (yes I know he gets developed in the books, but I don’t want to read a dang book) as the generic enemies he shoots, Locke is light-years more interesting as a protagonist.

> 2533274850488681;11:
> > 2533274807540513;2:
> > I would have seriously enjoyed the game more if it were Palmer in place of Locke.
>
>
> especially to see her reaction to the sangheili love poem to her in the Arbiters camp

I was hoping for a second one describing her reaction when she heard. That would have been great!

> 2533274816305922;15:
> i’m confused why people think Locke is “bland” and yet everybody loves John. the man has had like 27 lines of dialogue between 5 games and 22 of them were in 5. Chief has always been one of the most generic characters in video gaming, he’s got about as much depth in the games (yes I know he gets developed in the books, but I don’t want to read a dang book) as the generic enemies he shoots, Locke is light-years more interesting as a protagonist.

It’s because we’ve played as Chief and had over a decade of character development with not only him and Cortana feeding off one another and establishing one another’s motives, but also books that have fleshed him out more. But aside from this, Chief was always meant (in Bungie’s days) to be the silent protagonist, and everyone was fine with that.

Then all of a sudden, we are getting this Locke guy shoved down our throats out of nowhere as if it’s like “oh my gawd, this is tha best character ever. He’s so important that we have to have him in the game and Chief’s story can’t be told without him.” and yet, he’s just another silent protagonist. But what’s worse, he has no motive other than to follow orders. Chief makes decisions on his own without being ordered because he feels like it’s the best thing to do at the time for the greater cause, whereas Locke never has this dilemma. He is given orders, and he doesn’t question them, he just does it. Locke literally adds NOTHING to the story or even the dynamic of Osiris. He’s literally just there.

> 2533274816305922;15:
> i’m confused why people think Locke is “bland” and yet everybody loves John. the man has had like 27 lines of dialogue between 5 games and 22 of them were in 5. Chief has always been one of the most generic characters in video gaming, he’s got about as much depth in the games (yes I know he gets developed in the books, but I don’t want to read a dang book) as the generic enemies he shoots, Locke is light-years more interesting as a protagonist.

I’m confused as to why people think Locke is good. If you’re going to pit the Chief and another Spartan against one another (which didn’t even happen), make sure you’re using a character that isn’t as interesting as drying paint. He was also in the crappiest piece of Halo media ever created, Nightfall.

Hope she dies in the Halo 6. >:]
Also locke is a horrible replacement. Bleh.

> 2533274807540513;12:
> > 2533274850488681;11:
> > > 2533274807540513;2:
> > > I would have seriously enjoyed the game more if it were Palmer in place of Locke.
> >
> >
> > especially to see her reaction to the sangheili love poem to her in the Arbiters camp
>
>
> YES!!! -Yoink- YES!

sangheili love poem