Was Halo 5: Guardians a Spin-Off?

So Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3 & Halo 4 had Master Chief in the majority of its missions. Note the naming terminology: Halo & number. All of them starred the Master Chief (some you could also play as the arbiter but MC was the main playable character in the campaign). He was clearly the star in the number series.

Halo: Reach focused on the Noble team and is the name followed by another word. Master Chief was not the star in those series. Halo 3: ODST was a spin-off without the master chief. Halo 5: Guardians appears to be a spin-off as well as it featured only 3/15 missions with the Master Chief with Locke being in 12/15. Also the naming convention is consistent with a spin-off . Halo 5: Guardians followed the Halo 3: ODST naming convention perfectly.

The Halo 5 advertisement was rather different (especially the initial ones before the Locke versus Master Chief war) and it was starring the Master Chief in a desert (I don’t remember that in the campaign). Halo Limited Edition Xbox had the Spartan Locke skins and his controller.

I would actually be quite happy if it was a spin-off as I think it a great idea. Let’s keep the main Halo’s as the Master Chief and create several spin-offs (ODST, Noble Team, Red Team, Osiris Team, etc). Based on what I know, it was a spin off of the main series and not really the 5 installment of the Halo numbered / Master Chief series. It was part of the Halo universe.

What are your thoughts?

Maybe they are doing it like metal gear solid V and dividing it up into parts, we got the little part this year but hopefully the big part is coming soon, which would explain the whole hunt the truth John is a traitor motif from the ads.

That would be cool. Perhaps Halo 5: Guardians is the equivalent of Metal Gear Solid V : Ground Zero while Halo 5 (upcoming and starring Master Chief) is the equivalent of Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain (one of the highest rated games ever).

I just put no but I don’t really care either way. I just wanted to say Halo 3: ODST is a stupid as -Yoink- title, it should have just been Halo: ODST. I just always hated the title they gave it.

> 2535437141410326;3:
> That would be cool. Perhaps Halo 5: Guardians is the equivalent of Metal Gear Solid V : Ground Zero while Halo 5 (upcoming and starring Master Chief) is the equivalent of Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain (one of the highest rated games ever).

glad you got the analogy. and I hope they fix customization and remove or fix the req system.

Locke vs chief? Sounds like someone didn’t finish the campaign.

While I can see that HALO 5: Guardians is not everyone’s cup of tea, I do feel like it’s a bit of a stretch to think that they’ve pulled a MGS and given us a red herring before launching a game simply called “HALO 5”. I also have to mention that 343i stated they won’t be releasing campaign updates. Or, their studio head said it hasn’t made any plans to do so. Which, I guess, could be construed to mean that they don’t plan to, but they could change those plans in the future.

> 2533274909139271;6:
> Locke vs chief? Sounds like someone didn’t finish the campaign.

I meant the advertisement. The initial ones only had the master chief in there. Later on, they sold it as a Master Chief versus the Osiris team. Obviously that didn’t play out too much (I am talking about the advertisement before they had Locke in there and before they had MC as a rogue spartan). I played it all. Honestly, I want them to explore the red team now as a spin-off.

Doubt they are going to go the MSG route, but the story needs to be fleshed out much more to truly have people appreciate it.

> 2533274911267611;2:
> Maybe they are doing it like metal gear solid V and dividing it up into parts, we got the little part this year but hopefully the big part is coming soon, which would explain the whole hunt the truth John is a traitor motif from the ads.

There won’t be “other parts” for this or MGSV. They’re both done.

What makes it a spinoff? A shift in characters doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a spinoff. It’s still the same overarching storyline with the same genre of gameplay. The story even still follows the Chief, just to a lesser extent.

> 2533274809541057;11:
> What makes it a spinoff? A shift in characters doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a spinoff. It’s still the same overarching storyline with the same genre of gameplay. The story even still follows the Chief, just to a lesser extent.

Exactly!

It’s like saying Halo 2 is close to being an spinoff because half of it is dedicated to the Arbiter.