Was Chief actually fighting The Banished?

I know the Black and Red Brute’s were definitely Banished soldiers, but the Blue and Purple Brutes along with the Orange, White and Purple Grunts and the Jackels all seem to be more resembling their Halo 3 designs with slight changes. Escharum mentioned that the Banished is working with ''The Harbinger" and I believe that “The Harbinger” might actually be the name of the remnant Covenant faction, that got absorbed into the Banished. It makes since give the fact that the Banished did not have Jackels amongst their ranks and the fact that those Brutes and Jackels look a little to Halo 3 inspired while the Elites and Grunts look Reach inspired, tells me they must be a Covenant Remnant of some kind that is working with the Banish. Which would mean the only actual members of the actual Banished we have seen were those 2 Brute minors, the Brute Captain with a Jump Pack and Escharum. I hope we will get to see more Banished theme troops in the campaign. I know the Hunters should be Banished themed, but I hope we see Banished, Grunts, and Elites as well. And I really am hoping for the return of the Engineers too.

I wondered about this as well. It very well could still be the banished since they are scavengers.

> 2533274964025169;2:
> I wondered about this as well. It very well could still be the banished since they are scavengers.

I mean yeah but I have been pondering it for a bit, and 343 said they are still committed to continue Cortanas story, and given that Cortana called out certain Covenant members and in the megablox sets we saw Halo 3 and Reach style Grunts, Elites and even Brutes, and the fact that one of those Elite Ultra sets had Forerunner Hyrogliphs on the armor instead of the Covenant ones found on the armor in Reach suggest to me that a Covenant Remnant faction formed in the worship of Cortana, and I have a strong feeling this will be the Faction we are first introduced to before We start seeing Banished soldiers. Heck, even the name "Harbinger’ has a very ‘Forerunner ESC’ sound to it, so it makes sense. Also it could be 343’s way of trying to keep some Covenant Assets in the game, as it would be kind of hard to imagine seeing Covenant Multiplayer maps when we should be seeing Banished if the Covenant did not have some presents at all. Also, I feel it could be a way for us to see more classic designed vehicles on top of the Banished versions.

> 2535436352478403;3:
> > 2533274964025169;2:
> > I wondered about this as well. It very well could still be the banished since they are scavengers.
>
> I mean yeah but I have been pondering it for a bit, and 343 said they are still committed to continue Cortanas story, and given that Cortana called out certain Covenant members and in the megablox sets we saw Halo 3 and Reach style Grunts, Elites and even Brutes, and the fact that one of those Elite Ultra sets had Forerunner Hyrogliphs on the armor instead of the Covenant ones found on the armor in Reach suggest to me that a Covenant Remnant faction formed in the worship of Cortana, and I have a strong feeling this will be the Faction we are first introduced to before We start seeing Banished soldiers. Heck, even the name "Harbinger’ has a very ‘Forerunner ESC’ sound to it, so it makes sense. Also it could be 343’s way of trying to keep some Covenant Assets in the game, as it would be kind of hard to imagine seeing Covenant Multiplayer maps when we should be seeing Banished if the Covenant did not have some presents at all. Also, I feel it could be a way for us to see more classic designed vehicles on top of the Banished versions.

If that’s the case,I do hope we see the other species rocking the banished aesthetic in the game.

The yellow and blue, purple and white clad grunts and blue elites might be forces helping the more reddish themed banished forces from the so called " The harbinger " Whoever that is…
Also Jackals werent exactly being bothered to be included in the Banished forces either, so seeing them raises more questions… Hope theres a story arch/ lore/ canon reason here…

“The Harbinger” is definitely Cortana.

The all-red Banished troops in Halo Wars 2 was more about gameplay simplicity/visibility, kinda like how all UNSC troops were a much more saturated green than they actually are, and how all Covenant troops in Halo Wars 1 were the same shade of purple.

> 2535436352478403;1:
> I know the Black and Red Brute’s were definitely Banished soldiers, but the Blue and Purple Brutes along with the Orange, White and Purple Grunts and the Jackels all seem to be more resembling their Halo 3 designs with slight changes. Escharum mentioned that the Banished is working with ''The Harbinger" and I believe that “The Harbinger” might actually be the name of the remnant Covenant faction, that got absorbed into the Banished. It makes since give the fact that the Banished did not have Jackels amongst their ranks and the fact that those Brutes and Jackels look a little to Halo 3 inspired while the Elites and Grunts look Reach inspired, tells me they must be a Covenant Remnant of some kind that is working with the Banish. Which would mean the only actual members of the actual Banished we have seen were those 2 Brute minors, the Brute Captain with a Jump Pack and Escharum. I hope we will get to see more Banished theme troops in the campaign. I know the Hunters should be Banished themed, but I hope we see Banished, Grunts, and Elites as well. And I really am hoping for the return of the Engineers too.

Pretty sure the Harbinger is Cortana. She will still be a villain in this game. I do think it will mainly focus on the banished because they’re more interesting, but they will still follow up on the events of halo 5.

I get your point, but if they’ve all been absorbed into the same fighting forced and now fall under the banner of the Banished…does it really matter?

> 2535447175857524;7:
> > 2535436352478403;1:
> > I know the Black and Red Brute’s were definitely Banished soldiers, but the Blue and Purple Brutes along with the Orange, White and Purple Grunts and the Jackels all seem to be more resembling their Halo 3 designs with slight changes. Escharum mentioned that the Banished is working with ''The Harbinger" and I believe that “The Harbinger” might actually be the name of the remnant Covenant faction, that got absorbed into the Banished. It makes since give the fact that the Banished did not have Jackels amongst their ranks and the fact that those Brutes and Jackels look a little to Halo 3 inspired while the Elites and Grunts look Reach inspired, tells me they must be a Covenant Remnant of some kind that is working with the Banish. Which would mean the only actual members of the actual Banished we have seen were those 2 Brute minors, the Brute Captain with a Jump Pack and Escharum. I hope we will get to see more Banished theme troops in the campaign. I know the Hunters should be Banished themed, but I hope we see Banished, Grunts, and Elites as well. And I really am hoping for the return of the Engineers too.
>
> Pretty sure the Harbinger is Cortana. She will still be a villain in this game. I do think it will mainly focus on the banished because they’re more interesting, but they will still follow up on the events of halo 5.

I just can’t believe the Banished would be working with Cortana, nor could I see Cortana using a faction like the Banished for muscle when even in her rampant state, I would think she would be against a Covenant like faction growing in power. Also it was stated that the Banished are usually weary when raiding camps that have Prometheans guarding them suggesting that the Banished are fighting the Prometheans as well rather than fighting along side them. The Harbinger being a Covenant Remnant Faction just makes more sense, as it keeps the Covenant somewhat alive while giving them new life as a subfaction of the Banished.

If the Harbinger is Cortana…

Um, ok cough Atriox wouldnt go for working with her. It would go against all his principles, even out of desperation which I doubt. The Banished on the Ark against Cutter are even and with a bit of creativity they could tilt it in their favor.
Unless 343 totally screws over and mess up what established with at least the Banished on the Ark.

A more likely thing is that the Brute Jiralhanae War chieftain, Escharum is trying to find a way help Atriox OR even more likely thinks Atriox is dead and goes full on nutty mode to do everything to win by even siding with Cortanas corrupted/ logic plagued, megalomaniac fragment.

The Didact being Harbinger makes a bit… more sense even if he was killed off in a comic yay by being composed, and now possible SOMEHOW reappear shrugs
The Didact have a way with… magnetic “force” choke and bravado. But I doubt any selfrespecting brute would undercast themself such a Forerunner. Evenly coorporating… eh x for doubt.

And Harbinger as a name for a covie remnant faction? Sounds to… singular…

> 2533274801472802;6:
> “The Harbinger” is definitely Cortana.
>
> The all-red Banished troops in Halo Wars 2 was more about gameplay simplicity/visibility, kinda like how all UNSC troops were a much more saturated green than they actually are, and how all Covenant troops in Halo Wars 1 were the same shade of purple.

Yes, but even their armors where different in those games as well along with the fact that the Banished did not have Jackels in their group. And given from the megablox leaks we got for infinite, it seems that a lot of the Banished asthetics for the Banished are being carried over from Halo Wars 2. Also those Brutes look like the Halo 3 versions. And again, I don’t buy that Cortana or the Banished would work together, even if it would be briefly, as the Banished is literally trying to take control of a Halo Ring, something I can’t imagine Cortana allowing. If the Harbinger was Cortana, then either Escharum is talking out his -Yoink-, or 343 would have to basically throughout the philosophy of both the Banished and Cortana’s created to make them work together. Also after Cortana’s speech in Halo 5 I can’t not believe that another Covenant faction did not form to worship Cortana. And it would make more since that the Banished would try to absorb them into themselves so their would not be any competition to claim the thrown the Covenant left after their fall.

> 2533274799621457;8:
> I get your point, but if they’ve all been absorbed into the same fighting forced and now fall under the banner of the Banished…does it really matter?

We don’t really now if they are fully absorbed into the Banished, all we know is that they are working with the Banished, we don’t know if that will remain true as later on, maybe their ideals may clash and they may turn against the Banished or vice versa the Banished may decide they don’t need that Faction any more.

> 2535436352478403;12:
> > 2533274799621457;8:
> > I get your point, but if they’ve all been absorbed into the same fighting forced and now fall under the banner of the Banished…does it really matter?
>
> We don’t really now if they are fully absorbed into the Banished, all we know is that they are working with the Banished, we don’t know if that will remain true as later on, maybe their ideals may clash and they may turn against the Banished or vice versa the Banished may decide they don’t need that Faction any more.

True, but for the sake of the question asked and figuring out who the Harbinger is…

Also in a subsequent interview, they implied it was a person.

> 2533274799621457;13:
> > 2535436352478403;12:
> > > 2533274799621457;8:
> > > I get your point, but if they’ve all been absorbed into the same fighting forced and now fall under the banner of the Banished…does it really matter?
> >
> > We don’t really now if they are fully absorbed into the Banished, all we know is that they are working with the Banished, we don’t know if that will remain true as later on, maybe their ideals may clash and they may turn against the Banished or vice versa the Banished may decide they don’t need that Faction any more.
>
> True, but for the sake of the question asked and figuring out who the Harbinger is…
>
> Also in a subsequent interview, they implied it was a person.

Yeah but I just don’t see that being the name of one person because who could it be if not Cortana( which I don’t believe would ever work with the Banished) The Didact maybe, but unless 343 are going to be pulling some major -Yoink- pulling, I don’t see that being the case as it would take to much explaining to explain where he has been since Halo 4, who he is, what happened to him ect. And given how 343 are wanting players to be able to walk into this game without having to have prior knowledge, would mean they would have to dedicate to much time to fully explain to the players about the Didact. Also I don’t want to believe that that speech Cortana gave to all the species close to the end of Halo 5, amounted to nothing. I want to believe that had to have formed some form of religious splinter group, and something like “The Harbinger” Just screams that to me. Also I am certain Escharum is not going to be the only boss we encounter so its possible that the “Harbinger” group may have their own leader as well we will be introduced to. In fact, we may actually kill off that leader at some point and then the remains of that fact join the Banished…

> 2535436352478403;9:
> > 2535447175857524;7:
> > > 2535436352478403;1:
> > > I know the Black and Red Brute’s were definitely Banished soldiers, but the Blue and Purple Brutes along with the Orange, White and Purple Grunts and the Jackels all seem to be more resembling their Halo 3 designs with slight changes. Escharum mentioned that the Banished is working with ''The Harbinger" and I believe that “The Harbinger” might actually be the name of the remnant Covenant faction, that got absorbed into the Banished. It makes since give the fact that the Banished did not have Jackels amongst their ranks and the fact that those Brutes and Jackels look a little to Halo 3 inspired while the Elites and Grunts look Reach inspired, tells me they must be a Covenant Remnant of some kind that is working with the Banish. Which would mean the only actual members of the actual Banished we have seen were those 2 Brute minors, the Brute Captain with a Jump Pack and Escharum. I hope we will get to see more Banished theme troops in the campaign. I know the Hunters should be Banished themed, but I hope we see Banished, Grunts, and Elites as well. And I really am hoping for the return of the Engineers too.
> >
> > Pretty sure the Harbinger is Cortana. She will still be a villain in this game. I do think it will mainly focus on the banished because they’re more interesting, but they will still follow up on the events of halo 5.
>
> I just can’t believe the Banished would be working with Cortana, nor could I see Cortana using a faction like the Banished for muscle when even in her rampant state, I would think she would be against a Covenant like faction growing in power. Also it was stated that the Banished are usually weary when raiding camps that have Prometheans guarding them suggesting that the Banished are fighting the Prometheans as well rather than fighting along side them. The Harbinger being a Covenant Remnant Faction just makes more sense, as it keeps the Covenant somewhat alive while giving them new life as a subfaction of the Banished.

The trailer suggested that the banished and the Harbinger simply share a common goal. Yes they are allies for now, but will likely turn on each other eventually. And I highly doubt the Harbinger is just another covenant leader. Halo 5 pretty much killed off the covenant and infinite needs to close out Cortana’s story one way or another.

> 2535447175857524;15:
> > 2535436352478403;9:
> > > 2535447175857524;7:
> > > > 2535436352478403;1:
> > > > I know the Black and Red Brute’s were definitely Banished soldiers, but the Blue and Purple Brutes along with the Orange, White and Purple Grunts and the Jackels all seem to be more resembling their Halo 3 designs with slight changes. Escharum mentioned that the Banished is working with ''The Harbinger" and I believe that “The Harbinger” might actually be the name of the remnant Covenant faction, that got absorbed into the Banished. It makes since give the fact that the Banished did not have Jackels amongst their ranks and the fact that those Brutes and Jackels look a little to Halo 3 inspired while the Elites and Grunts look Reach inspired, tells me they must be a Covenant Remnant of some kind that is working with the Banish. Which would mean the only actual members of the actual Banished we have seen were those 2 Brute minors, the Brute Captain with a Jump Pack and Escharum. I hope we will get to see more Banished theme troops in the campaign. I know the Hunters should be Banished themed, but I hope we see Banished, Grunts, and Elites as well. And I really am hoping for the return of the Engineers too.
> > >
> > > Pretty sure the Harbinger is Cortana. She will still be a villain in this game. I do think it will mainly focus on the banished because they’re more interesting, but they will still follow up on the events of halo 5.
> >
> > I just can’t believe the Banished would be working with Cortana, nor could I see Cortana using a faction like the Banished for muscle when even in her rampant state, I would think she would be against a Covenant like faction growing in power. Also it was stated that the Banished are usually weary when raiding camps that have Prometheans guarding them suggesting that the Banished are fighting the Prometheans as well rather than fighting along side them. The Harbinger being a Covenant Remnant Faction just makes more sense, as it keeps the Covenant somewhat alive while giving them new life as a subfaction of the Banished.
>
> The trailer suggested that the banished and the Harbinger simply share a common goal. Yes they are allies for now, but will likely turn on each other eventually. And I highly doubt the Harbinger is just another covenant leader. Halo 5 pretty much killed off the covenant and infinite needs to close out Cortana’s story one way or another.

They can still do that by having a Covenant Remnant fighting on her behalf. I feel if they are a Remnant Faction, Cortana could be the reason for them to turn against the Banished later on. The issue is, is that there are only two possibilities that would make sense for what “The Harbinger” is. 1 possibility is it being a Remnant Covenant faction that has formed a religious devotion to Cortana, that the Banished might be taking advantage of for extra ‘‘muscle’’ or its is some form of Forerunner weapon, or Ai construct. I just don’t believe they would ruin both the Created and Cortana’s views as well as the Banished views. Also the thing I really hated about Halo 4 was having the Storm Covenant start out fighting the Promethean’s and then later on, become buddy buddy with them. I don’t want another scenario where we are essentially fighting one faction. I what the old 3 way (technically 4 if you counted the Sentinals as their own faction in the original games) fights back. I want the Banished to be fighting the Created and Humanity while you the player are having to fight both factions at the same time. I want that gameplay dynamic back. We kind of got it back in 5, but given that most of the time Promethean’s were not really present when the Storm Covenant was, I can’t really count that.

Is Anders the only person not currently on the Ark that knows about the events of Halo Wars 2? I wonder if the end of Halo Wars 2 somehow leads to Cortana convincing the Banished leader in the Infinite gameplay to join forces with Cortana.

The foot soldiers of the banished pretty much the -Yoinks!- of the banished.