Was anyone using VoIP during the BTB tests?

Hey everyone,

I spent about 16 hours playing BTB this past weekend, and it was generally amazing!

However, I did find something very strange and disappointing: No one, and I mean no one, in any of my matches, was using voice chat, and the text chat was barely used as well. I started wondering if my VoIP just wasn’t working, but eventually someone told me, via text chat, that I was “hot mic”-ing.

Am I missing something here? Growing up during the H2 and H3 days, many, if not most, people used their mics. But this weekend, absolutely nothing. ;-(

I was having the same issue. Apparently the voice chat was coming through my monitor and there is no way to change it. You probably had the same issue.

It might be a generational thing? I personally hate it when people voice chat. I think it’s weird and annoying. But kudos to you if you enjoy it. I’m sure other people do as well. Although I did notice mostly at night during the flight test, I was matched with lots of people that used their mic (versus the daytime hours 10-2pm).

Me and some friends teamed up for BTB, and didn’t bother to start a party chat.
In-game we chatted away on what was happening and random nonsense, suddenly I got a message from an individual in our team telling us to go into party chat.
Didn’t bother to, and suddenly he joined us, like full on life sharing stuff with Halo history, expectations and so forth, we shared our own stuff of course. After the match was over he wanted to continue playing with us so we invited him for another round of madness.

In-game voice chat was definitely working, think we had some issues with it at some point but not sure about it.

However I do suspect that a lot of people don’t want to either bother others with their own chatter, if they’ve teamed up, or don’t want to be bothered by outsiders when they’re teamed up, that’s why Party chat is used. Not to mention a lot of toxicity from before has remained ingrained in memory, so while we could be using mics and whatnot, a lot of us don’t really bother to at the risk of ruining the experience when McAngerHead is in and decides to vent their frustration like playing a verbal whack-a-mole on anyone who happens to have their mic plugged in and uttering general words.

Had a Scottish guy who was friendly at first but then started shouting about everyone on the Team sucking when we were losing.

That annoys me in Ranked, let alone Social BTB. Have to shut that stuff down quick. I don’t let anyone talk down to me or anyone who’s on my team, whether I know them or not.

> 2725616024495299;1:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I spent about 16 hours playing BTB this past weekend, and it was generally amazing!
>
> However, I did find something very strange and disappointing: No one, and I mean no one, in any of my matches, was using voice chat, and the text chat was barely used as well. I started wondering if my VoIP just wasn’t working, but eventually someone told me, via text chat, that I was “hot mic”-ing.
>
> Am I missing something here? Growing up during the H2 and H3 days, many, if not most, people used their mics. But this weekend, absolutely nothing. ;-(

Games have been pretty quiet for the most part lately. Especially if you’re rolling solo. I think most people who play in parties/groups generally use things Discord instead of the in-game chat. I did have a couple games where people were using the in-game chat, and one game where I got grouped with a couple of cool people who were using their mics. It was pretty difficult to tell who was talking though so none of us got to send a request. Hopefully 343 makes it easier to see whoever may be talking in-game.

> 2658598172888835;2:
> I was having the same issue. Apparently the voice chat was coming through my monitor and there is no way to change it. You probably had the same issue.

Interesting, thanks! Obviously it’s too late to check now, but I wonder if disabling HDMI/DP audio in the Windows Sound settings would fix this?

Most of my experience of hearing people in BTB were people that didn’t realize they had Open Mic enabled so I was hearing everything under the sun. People arguing with people in their house, people talking smack about their teammates and people randomly singing. Not really knowing that we could hear them.