Was 60fps the right choice?

60fps is better than 30fps, this thread isn’t dissecting which is better, but rather whether Halo entries on the XB1 SHOULD be targeting 60fps after Halo 5. 60fps on H5 is settled at this point.

At first I thought yes, now I’m really thinking we should go back to 30fps.
We’ve lost split screen, the graphics, while not bad, just don’t wow me the way CE, 2, Reach and 4 did (even 3 had stand out features like the water and double buffered lighting) and overall I just feel like 60fps is gonna restrict what 343i can do with things like forge and custom games.
Additionally there will no doubt be greater performance fluctuations at 60fps than there were at 30fps, directly impacting gameplay, gun fights and image quality may feel juddery when the fps goes below 55fps, and it most certainly will .

What do you think? Can 343i make a better Halo game at 30fps or 60fps? I myself see more of a difference in improved graphics and presentation over 60fps (in Halo games anyway).

EDIT: To clarify, this isn’t exclusively a split screen vs 60fps thread, this is regarding the whole package. We’d have better visual fidelity at 30fps, possibly the best on the console like what Halo 4 was to the 360. At the moment, Halo 5 doesn’t wow me in this department the way The Witcher 3 or Uncharted 4 do, for example.

I beat the CEmake in the MCC and then went to play it on the 360, and it was incredibly painful. I still need to mop up achievements in the 360 version, but find it difficult to play after playing it in 60fps.

I, for one, am thrilled to be receiving H5 in 60fps and believe it was worth the sacrifices.

It’s not a one or the other situation.

Previous halo games DID support 60fps in single player mode. They just downgraded to 30fps when playing split-screen. The fact that they chose not to do the same thing here is absurd.

Guess we’ll find out from 27th October…

Was CE on the 360 a stable 30fps though? Because I think stability is important, I think a locked 30fps experience is what 343i should target and I think CEA on 360 dropped fps quite a bit at certain sections of the game.

I see both sides of the coin btw, just wondering what the community consensus is on this in light of the removal of split screen etc.

30 FPS is also better for in-engine cinematics. Notice in Halo 4 at 60 FPS how all of the body movements look awkwardly sped up. I’ve even heard some other developers say that 30 FPS is better for cutscenes.

> 2533274798511073;3:
> It’s not a one or the other situation.
>
> Previous halo games DID support 60fps in single player mode. They just downgraded to 30fps when playing split-screen. The fact that they chose not to do the same thing here is absurd.

I like this idea.

Precision and visual acuity are better in 60fps. There is no debating this.

As much as I love Halo always pushing the lighting effects edge (many have no idea how ingenious it is to get so many transparent and coloured objects on the screen just to begin with, least alone many of the other effects), the smoothness of 60fps (if it remains 56fps or above, stable) just can’t be relayed at 30fps.

(not counting that Halo was always 60fps but the framebuffer was displaying 2 images from a 30fps simulation with different contrast levels for Halo’s glow).

> 2533274796617122;7:
> > 2533274798511073;3:
> > It’s not a one or the other situation.
> >
> > Previous halo games DID support 60fps in single player mode. They just downgraded to 30fps when playing split-screen. The fact that they chose not to do the same thing here is absurd.
>
>
> I like this idea.

The backbone of the engine is 60FPS

> 2533274848599184;9:
> > 2533274796617122;7:
> > > 2533274798511073;3:
> > > It’s not a one or the other situation.
> > >
> > > Previous halo games DID support 60fps in single player mode. They just downgraded to 30fps when playing split-screen. The fact that they chose not to do the same thing here is absurd.
> >
> >
> > I like this idea.
>
>
> The backbone of the engine is 60FPS

I have heard of games that reduce down to 30fps for split screen and Halo titles are among the group. Why can’t they simply do that?

Once you go 60fps it’s hard to go back. It’s taught me that fps isn’t as cosmetic/superficial as many make it out to be.
If 343 could make splitscreen 30fps and keep single player at 60fps, then that would be great. But they have their reasons (removing splitscreen couldn’t have been a decision they made lightly) and if I had to choose I’d go for framerate. Simply put, there just aren’t a lot of people playing splitscreen these days. It’s unfortunate.

> 2533274796617122;10:
> > 2533274848599184;9:
> > > 2533274796617122;7:
> > > > 2533274798511073;3:
> > > > It’s not a one or the other situation.
> > > >
> > > > Previous halo games DID support 60fps in single player mode. They just downgraded to 30fps when playing split-screen. The fact that they chose not to do the same thing here is absurd.
> > >
> > >
> > > I like this idea.
> >
> >
> > The backbone of the engine is 60FPS
>
>
> I have heard of games that reduce down to 30fps for split screen and Halo titles are among the group. Why can’t they simply do that?

If it was that simple, wouldn’t they have done it?

> 2533274906745123;12:
> > 2533274796617122;10:
> > > 2533274848599184;9:
> > > > 2533274796617122;7:
> > > > > 2533274798511073;3:
> > > > > It’s not a one or the other situation.
> > > > >
> > > > > Previous halo games DID support 60fps in single player mode. They just downgraded to 30fps when playing split-screen. The fact that they chose not to do the same thing here is absurd.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > I like this idea.
> > >
> > >
> > > The backbone of the engine is 60FPS
> >
> >
> > I have heard of games that reduce down to 30fps for split screen and Halo titles are among the group. Why can’t they simply do that?
>
>
> If it was that simple, wouldn’t they have done it?

Fair point, it’s just that it’s been done before. Didn’t Halo 2 in the TMCC do it? The very core base code for all these engines, even when they “rewrite” them is all the same, so I’m just surprised all of a sudden the game is 60fps or bust on the issue of split screen.

> 2533274796617122;13:
> > 2533274906745123;12:
> > > 2533274796617122;10:
> > > > 2533274848599184;9:
> > > > > 2533274796617122;7:
> > > > > > 2533274798511073;3:
> > > > > > It’s not a one or the other situation.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Previous halo games DID support 60fps in single player mode. They just downgraded to 30fps when playing split-screen. The fact that they chose not to do the same thing here is absurd.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > I like this idea.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > The backbone of the engine is 60FPS
> > >
> > >
> > > I have heard of games that reduce down to 30fps for split screen and Halo titles are among the group. Why can’t they simply do that?
> >
> >
> > If it was that simple, wouldn’t they have done it?
>
>
> Fair point, it’s just that it’s been done before. Didn’t Halo 2 in the TMCC do it? The very core base code for all these engines, even when they “rewrite” them is all the same, so I’m just surprised all of a sudden the game is 60fps or bust on the issue of split screen.

I think the difference is they were taking a 30fps engine and “upscaling” to 60fps with H2A

60fps is worth the downsides to me.

> 2533274798511073;3:
> It’s not a one or the other situation.
>
> Previous halo games DID support 60fps in single player mode. They just downgraded to 30fps when playing split-screen. The fact that they chose not to do the same thing here is absurd.

Not absurd at all. They wanted to deliver a quality product. The split screen in Halo 4 was horrible, lagged really badly and looked bad. People complained and hated it, the Waypoint forums were filled with threads about how bad it was.

Now a game with much more computational demand, even with new hardware, if they think it’s going to chug along, lag and look bad, then they’re right to remove split screen to present a quality product.

I don’t really care about split screen because I haven’t used it in years. I understand that some people still use it and it sucks, but I have a feeling they are outnumbered by those who play single player and online on one screen.

Yes 60fps was the correct decision for Halo as it is an FPS end of discussion.

I’m not a splitscreen player so my opinion is a bit skewed, but I believe 60fps is a very good choice. Going back and playing Reach was a very disorienting experience, and based on what we know, the engine is tied to 60fps and lowering that would screw up things like bullet speed. It’s unfortunate that splitscreen had to be cut, but splitscreen is becoming a bit niche and I think a stable framerate across all modes is worth it.

The console is not powerful enough to run 60fps 1080p without making too many compromises.

> 2535422763445549;19:
> The console is not powerful enough to run 60fps 1080p without making too many compromises.

Not true the console is powerful enough for 1080p and 60fps but we would end up with a pretty crappy looking games in terms of graphics it would just look sharp and run smoothly but look pretty bad.