Warzone Matchmaking Broken?

This is something I’ve noticed being a problem. Unlike Arena or even the older “social” playlists in Halo 3, I’m not noticing anything that seems to be a skill rank system, even an invisible one that runs in the background? Teams keep ending up horribly unbalanced - out of the last ten games I’ve played, I’ve won maybe one. It’s not an issue of individual skill nor of communication - usually I go in with a group of maybe four friends, and as a fireteam we’re able to match the entire enemy team when holding capture points or going after bosses. Our randoms, though, are an entirely different matter. What inevitably happens is that they never are able to hold their own, and the instant we stop babysitting them the enemy team completely wipes the floor. We either lose all the bases and have our core destroyed because our randoms can’t defend while the four of us go after bosses, or the reverse happens and we hold onto a solid two bases but lose because the enemy team nabs every single boss. Finally, are teams no longer mixed and matched between games? Unless we back out of Warzone we keep getting matched against the same team as the previous game, with the same teammates we had before.

What I’m wondering is if 343 stopped using any sort of skill matchup for Warzone, or if it simply hasn’t had time to sort itself out?

Additionally, other unbalanced factor I’ve noticed - once a team starts winning, they keep winning. Warzone doesn’t incorporate skill so much as the REQ system, and that’s likewise horribly unbalanced. Once a team wins a few games it becomes a self sustaining cycle since they keep getting access to better REQ packs between games than the losing team, and they’re able to buy them faster.

I would agree with you that it seems like it is still unbalanced. Having only played for a couple hours time on Warzone it has become a struggle at times with having extremely good players against the not so great players. It makes the game less fun for me, although I still have a blast trying to get better and learn the maps and what have you, but it usually seems like a one sided fight most of the time.

So I’m not the only one noticing this. Thank God. I just played about 8 games of warzone, won none of them (FYI, I have won 2, but that’s it, after the second win, nothing but incredibly bad luck). I keep getting paired up with teams who are already losing and teams who just refuse to go in together. Every enemy team just destroys by either luck or REQ packs. Its not even my own skill either, my team mates just somehow keep dying by nothing, they refuse to attack bosses and they treat Warzone like Arena, and they just don’t want to move in together, they split up the whole way and they end up getting killed by 70 stray grenades or some -Yoink- clown using an SMG.

I am honestly fed up with it since my first game of Warzone was a victory, a decent one at that, we were neck and neck and it felt good overall. I go and beat the campaign on solo legendary and come back to keep getting paired up with unbalanced teams and absurd skill levels. Its not even a matter of “getting good” its just pure bad luck and a matter of that we’re put in this limbo of playing with unbalanced teams and as far as I can tell, the only way to win a match in some form is to team up with friends or join some other people.

BUT when you ask me to do that, I’l go on to explain that all my friends HATE Halo, and I refuse to join some dumb spartan company just to play and have fun.

> 2533274958336688;2:
> I would agree with you that it seems like it is still unbalanced. Having only played for a couple hours time on Warzone it has become a struggle at times with having extremely good players against the not so great players. It makes the game less fun for me, although I still have a blast trying to get better and learn the maps and what have you, but it usually seems like a one sided fight most of the time.

I will admit, besides playing the game, those stupid REQ cards got to me, I like collecting them and then using them in Warzone. Thats probably the only thing keeping me around. I’m sick of how people coordinate a 47 grenade strike, how the SMG is insanely powerful, and how almost all the bad players I get paired up with are NEVER attacking bosses, instead they run out and die from like 6 enemies paired up together.

I’ve wondered the same thing myself. I’ve had a lot of Warzone games that are mostly extremes on the winning or losing end. It would be interesting to have some transparency on how people are paired up. I wonder if that means there is a reason why we can’t see other people’s rank on the lobby screen?

The weapon balance in the game is fine, don’t get me wrong. They all have roughly equal TTK for their given weapon tiers when used correctly, and that comes down to a matter of pure skill (unlike Halo 2/3 - much as I love those games, Battle Rifle was the undisputed king, and starting weapons had no place in midgame combat). Pistol and AR kill roughly just as quickly unless you miss a shot, SMG is only good at short range unless you really, really practice with it, DMR and BR are just better at their respective ranges. The issue I’m noticing is what Wonderbroom and Arcanii pointed out - sure, my fireteam usually nabs all four of the top leaderboard spots in a given game, but our team still loses horribly just because the randoms we’re matched with don’t carry any weight. The enemy team, meanwhile, always seems to be composed of very competent, communicating players… which is as it should be. It’d just be nice to be matched with said types of players every once in a while, and I do get matched with them when I go in solo. Now that I think about it, it’s always when I go in with a party that things go sideways with our randoms.

> 2533274818787037;6:
> The weapon balance in the game is fine, don’t get me wrong. They all have roughly equal TTK for their given weapon tiers when used correctly, and that comes down to a matter of pure skill (unlike Halo 2/3 - much as I love those games, Battle Rifle was the undisputed king, and starting weapons had no place in midgame combat). Pistol and AR kill roughly just as quickly unless you miss a shot, SMG is only good at short range unless you really, really practice with it, DMR and BR are just better at their respective ranges. The issue I’m noticing is what Wonderbroom and Arcanii pointed out - sure, my fireteam usually nabs all four of the top leaderboard spots in a given game, but our team still loses horribly just because the randoms we’re matched with don’t carry any weight. The enemy team, meanwhile, always seems to be composed of very competent, communicating players… which is as it should be. It’d just be nice to be matched with said types of players every once in a while, and I do get matched with them when I go in solo. Now that I think about it, it’s always when I go in with a party that things go sideways with our randoms.

Very true about the randoms (Though I still stand by the SMG, i must get paired with lots of enemy players who practice with that thing alot or something), it seems odd that we can never get paired up with those competent enemy players from time to time. Heck, I had a theory that because I won that first game of Warzone, the game thinks I’m too good and puts me in bad teams from now on. Not saying that is the truth, but if it is, that’s some major crap.

Yeah, I’m having the same issue (check my win record for proof). It’s infuriating. Why does every fun mode these days have to be unbalanced, skill-less, and pay to win?

> 2533274833841004;8:
> Yeah, I’m having the same issue (check my win record for proof). It’s infuriating. Why does every fun mode these days have to be unbalanced, skill-less, and pay to win?

From how I noticed it, the pay to win stuff for REQ can only be applied when everything is late game and all REQ points are available. BUT if there is ways or exploits to boost that thing during the early game, then it becomes a massive problem.

It’s not so much an exploit as much as unbalanced. REQ levels are unlocked as the game progresses, dependent on player skill and participation (kills, objectives seized, assists, etc). I’ve hit REQ level 7 while my team mates were still at 4.

Issue is that people who buy better REQ packs get access to better Uncommons (like the Ultra Ghost and ONI Warthog), which unlock around REQ level 4. That’s very early game, roughly around when a team captures the middle control point on a map and/or kills the early 25 point bosses, and what inevitably happens is that continues to snowball and get worse as the game goes on.

The other issue is that teams that win games get more REQ points to buy better REQ packs, which just further contributes to the problem as they only continue to keep getting better gear while the losing teams start to fall behind, forced to wait two to three times as many games to buy the same REQ packs.

> 2533274818787037;10:
> It’s not so much an exploit as much as unbalanced. REQ levels are unlocked as the game progresses, dependent on player skill and participation (kills, objectives seized, assists, etc). I’ve hit REQ level 7 while my team mates were still at 4.
>
> Issue is that people who buy better REQ packs get access to better Uncommons (like the Ultra Ghost and ONI Warthog), which unlock around REQ level 4. That’s very early game, roughly around when a team captures the middle control point on a map and/or kills the early 25 point bosses, and what inevitably happens is that continues to snowball and get worse as the game goes on.
>
> The other issue is that teams that win games get more REQ points to buy better REQ packs, which just further contributes to the problem as they only continue to keep getting better gear while the losing teams start to fall behind, forced to wait two to three times as many games to buy the same REQ packs.

Ah, the point requirements for somethings do seem too low. At least the mantis requires like 8, but 4 REQ points for an Ultra Ghost or ONI Wharthog, jeez. They need to re balance some of the point requirements for those REQ cards.

Also, sorry to go off topic here, I guess my most massive question about REQ cards is the Legendary weapons, are those one time or infinite and need lots of points to bring out? Because if its one time, whats the point of even using those if they are so rare?

Depends on the item. Armor boosts are permanent, as are load out cards like the DMR (Ultra Rare). Vehicles and power weapons are one time use per card.

As for why use them? Most special versions of weapons and vehicles are much tougher and much more powerful than the originals. In the right hands a single card, used well, can turn an entire game around almost singlehandedly, eliminating the enemy team as a factor while in use and giving your team free reign of the field.

The last game I actually won, for example, had my buddy get an ONI Hog from a randomized Uncommon Vehicle card. We drive it straight into ARC’s garage and took the base with only two people (other team had at least 8 of their people in there). While they were disorganized our team took the opposing armory, and we went on the kill two Legendary bosses with the hog before it was destroyed.

Used properly, Rare and Legendary REQ cards are game changers.

> 2533274818787037;12:
> Depends on the item. Armor boosts are permanent, as are load out cards like the DMR (Ultra Rare). Vehicles and power weapons are one time use per card.

I just hope all of the mythic weapon card stuff is explained at a later time. But most of all, hopefully we can all find proper teams or get matched up with actual, competent, cooperative players in War zone soon.