Warzone Assault Needs Overhaul

DISCLAIMER: This is my personal opinion, as well as the opinions of many others in the Twitch chat of Ducain23. I know I haven’t played the game yet, so please don’t tell me so in the chat. And please do not take this as me trying to address this as fact, because that is not the point of this post.

So as I’m typing this right now, I’m watching Ducain23’s stream of Halo 5 Warzone. Warzone itself looks as fun as ever, but I’d be lying if I said Warzone Assault looks like it had any thought put into it. I’ve already seen 5 matches of Warzone Assault on the map summit, and from what I’ve seen so far, and have heard directly from Ducain himself, it’s not what it should be, and probably needs a ton of work before it could actually see release right. I know it may seem a tad bit harsh, but hear me out:

• Warzone Assault maps seen thus far are simply cordoned of portions of other Warzone maps, March on Stormbreak and Escape from ARC.

• The defense always looses! The attackers have an inherent advantage in every game, each time the game was played so far this stream, the attackers have won with half the timer still remaining. Their’s huge balance issues that need to be worked out.

• The gameplay looks stale, most of the game entailed the defenders being mauled down within seconds, the attackers holding a point with the defenders helpless to do anything, and then after the point is taken, the process is repeated until the core is reached and destroyed. This isn’t exactly the most creative mode, they’ve tried to balance the game by only allowing tier one REQs to be purchased (Ghosts, Needlers, etc…) but instead the game looses all it’s flavor. Should’ve at least put weapons scattered about the map or on weapon pads. alternatively they could’ve done it like Reach’s Invasion did it, with tiered weapons for both sides increasing with every capture.

• Which brings me to my last point, that this could’ve been so much more. That this could’ve of been the next Invasion, but it isn’t nearly as fleshed out as it should.
    Maps lack creativity, gametype is nothing new, but at it’s core it really has something. Reach’s Invasion should have been the template for making this mode, if it were, this mode, in my opinion, would’ve been better than Warzone, but as it is right now, it’s probably one of the worst modes in the game.

Positives:

• Cool ODST drop pod intro

Source

Well, I’m sure 343i will make some post launch adjustments if matches continue to play out in the way you’re describing. I’m just hoping they do so in a timely manner because that mode sounds cool…

I beg to differ. Watching H0lmb0m’s stream, not only did the defenders win, the fight was an almost constant chaotic firefight. The air was thick with smoke trails, flying all over the place. Hardly stale.

Nice read, but from what I’ve seen I think your opinion is a bit of an overreaction.

1. Playing in a small part of a larger map is fine IMO. I’d rather have the devs focus and make a smaller selection of amazing maps than try to churn out a large quantity of meh - I know reusing a map seems cheap, but it works and I have no problem with it personally…
    2 & 3. From the streams I’ve seen, defense doesn’t always lose - but offense wins more often for sure. Both teams start on equal footing and have the exact same opportunities for reqs, but the way the system works it does create a snowballing effect that’s hard to stop in such a fast-paced game. It feels like the req system was built primarily around regular Warzone.
  2. I agree Assault could use some work and feels like a side-project compared to regular Warzone, but I think it’s faaar to early to call it a lost cause. Saying “it could’ve been so much more” seem weird when you’re talking about something that hasn’t been released, let alone balanced/patched, doesn’t it?

Maybe the people who were on the defending side didnt have thumbs

> 2533274935111428;5:
> Maybe the people who were on the defending side didnt have thumbs

It was new people every game

Obviously there are alot of gamers without thumbs

How about “fix” not “overhual”. Some other players have some good points as well, and it could be beneficial to narrow these interests down into why warzone assault needs to change.

My 2 cents.

Having just looked up some gameplay the setup looks terrible. I at least would have expected a two objective system like you would see in Invasion or something like Rush in Battlefield, but Warzone Assault looks downright terrible. It looks like nothing but thoughtless zerging of the objective, at least in normal Warzone you have aspects of Base control, AI hunting, and destroying the core to add some order to the chaos.

This mode just looks like a disorganized mess with nothing to offer over default Warzone.

> 2533274819446242;9:
> It looks like nothing but thoughtless zerging of the objective

You could apply that argument to every game mode that’s not regular Warzone…

> 2533274935111428;5:
> Maybe the people who were on the defending side didnt have thumbs

This exactly. I haven’t been in a single match in which the defenders didn’t stone wall the offense at the very first base. Defenders won with ease every time.

I have to be honest, the defense has won every game so far and the attackers never stand a chance. The game never even tells you how to capture the bases. What am I missing?