Warthog Tutorial for Halo 5 :: by the Halowheelmen

Hello fellow Halo players,
I’m from the HaloWheelmen Community (HaloWheelmen) and I’m here to present a Warthog driving and gunning tutorial/guide because this is our passion. We have fundamentals and useful tips for the Warthog, including consistent control of the Hog’s physics, how to drive when under fire, and how to react as a gunner to coordinated team fire.
We hope this guide helps others who enjoy Warthogging as much as we do find more fun with your friends or alone. For more information, visit our forums at
http://www.HaloWheelmen.com
HWM Gorillars
tl:dr At the end of this post is a YouTube commentary over a suuccesful Warthog run (50+ legit kills, no holding),which covers alot of the points too. Courtesy by HWM Sarge.
General:
Switching Seats: You can switch seats by pressing the jump button. This is can be extremely useful for a quick pickup, or ousting an annoying hijacker from your hog. Example video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1JbZjyMCyUVehicle Health: The Warthog has about four or five stages of health. As you take damage, you will hear a crack sound and see a visual effect as more permanent damage builds up on the Hog. When the hood starts to smoke, your hog is vulnerable and will likely not survive another vehicle battle or concentrated team fire. When the hood is on fire, your hog will blow up easily to one person shooting. When the dashboard is flashing red, the hog is essentially one-shot.
Coordinated AR fire is extremely dangerous to Warthogs. Beware marines and beware three or more concentrated ARs at once.
Warthog related REQs:
Warthog, common, 2
Corp Hog, common, 2 (extra armor)
Urban Hog, uncommon, 2 (upgraded armor)
Oni Hog, rare, 3 (Heavy armor, Explosive rounds, Now overheats)
Driver:
Bouncing: The Warthog likes to fly into the air. Whenever you go over a rise in the road or off a rock, the Warthog tends to soar. Slowing down and driving smoothly is the key to successful hogging. If the hog is bouncing up and down, your gunner can’t aim at the people you want them to kill.
Countersteering: Drive in the direction of the wheels you have on the ground to save your Warthog from rolling.

> If your hog is starting to roll, do not try to make the hog drive to reorient to your camera; instead, reorient your camera to straighten the hog visually and drive in the direction of whatever wheels are on the ground. (Just try it. I know it sounds complicated)

Basic Driving Priorities:

• Never attack AI if enemies will be able to shoot your gunner - Focus on killing Infantry in transition (enemies moving from one point of cover to another) - Limit line of sight on your gunner; use cover as soon as your gunner gets shot - Stick to the discipline; don’t try to do too much - Don’t be too greedy for splatters, it’s gets you flipped, boarded, or killed too oftenGunner:
    The Turret: The Halo 5 Warthog turret is probably the strongest chaingun turret in Halo history. Finally, the 50-cal turret feels like it’s more powerful than a single BR. However, the gunner has never been more vulnerable to precision weapon headshots than ever. Gunners need to constantly kill or suppress people who are likely to kill them or their teammates.
    The Shield: The turret has a bullet shield for the gunner. When you’re in danger of teamshot, point toward the enemies shooting at you, and then look straight into the air. It will make your Spartan crouch on the turret and angle the shield to protect your head while your driver gets you away. It’s also an easy way to let your driver see that you’re in trouble.
    Switching Seats: This is a new tactic for Halo 5. If you’re in danger of dying, switch seats to climb into the passenger seat. The body of the hog will offer you more protection.

> The most important thing for gunners is awareness. Gunners need to be aware of the map, their radar, and be able to predict where the enemies will show up. They also need to react quickly to sudden threats to the hog. Gunners must not become dependent on the driver pointing the hog at enemies s/he wants killed. As for turreting skill itself, you’ll become a steadier shot with more practice.

> This is how you gun during a hog vs hog. Aim for the gunner. From now on, that’s how you gun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9w3OMo2rHYBasic Gunner Priorities:

• Watch for enemies. The driver will keep you alive. Don’t stare down the front of the hog. - Stop firing between targets. It lets the gun cool, reduces spread, and lets your driver know you’re shooting at a new target. - Feather the trigger. This communicates to your driver that you see something you want to kill but can’t get an angle on. - Target Prioritization: Kill any threat to the hog first, then threats to your teammates, and then targets of opportunity. - Shoot boarders: You can look down and shoot the guy off who is boarding your driver.tl;dr Voice over commentary over a 50 kill /30 assist Warthog run in Warzone by HWM Sarge and HWM Guardian

Now go into the Warzone or BTB (if released yet) playlist and put this stuff to work and see the Wheelman medals and gunner kills just rain on you :).
With best regards, the HaloWheelmen community.
Visit our Homepage and join the forums at http://www.HaloWheelmen.com.
Or for some more Info about us or how to play with us check out this Thread on Halowaypoint
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/1ff61771b8f64a9a9e18b900039843cb/topics/warzone-btb-players-the-halowheelmen-want-you/cdaa624c-33a9-41dc-bd31-13e3f0f827b4/posts
EDIT:It seems that there’s no Link nor Youtube embed function, sorry for the inconvenience. Copy and paste isn’t that hard though :wink: .

This is pretty cool!

Sorry for the weird looking and now double post. the editing tools are very limited and I can’t delete it. I will try to edit as good as possible.

Good writeup! I particularly like the new gunner tactics you suggest with the seat-switching mechanic. I’ll be sure to use them. =)

Never seen a warthog flip over yet in halo 5. Always tends to land or roll back on its tires no matter how it flips.
Also idk what it is about the health, but mine was on fire during a warzone and lasted for a longer run even when a ghost was firing. Only exploded when banshee crashed into it :confused:

But Im glad someone said you can switch seats, did not know that and its good to have a gunner who is looking around instead of facing forward.

> 2533274819525885;1:
>

Awesome tips the details are great!

Nice tips!

Went 98-0 with the Warthog on Halo 3 once. Halo 5 seems a lot harder to kill while Warthog gunner, especially since warzone is p2w.

I doubt we’ll ever see another hog as powerful as Halo 3, but we continue to find success. It’s what we do.

Really helpful dude. Thanks for this

Very nice tips. I thought I was proficient before, but now I can be a master. Thanks.

Excellent post! I love the Warthog. The precision weapon wrecking of gunners has made it difficult, but these tips should definitely help.

Now, if you could just help make these bronze and silver packs drop a daggum Hog, that’d be great…

As much as I love and practice these tips, they don’t really matter if someone reqs a hydra or binary rifle or other hog breaking power weapon. You guys are great, no doubt, but you were also lucky nobody really wanted to take you out. That and I’m usually alone so I can only gun and drive separately.

Nice tips, I always find that the Marines do a lot of damage when focusing fire. The hogs in this game have gotten a lot better, to where few frags don’t instantly have you smoking. Also notice the shield helps if you look towards the person shooting; I try to fire back while doing so to knock them out, but I will keep in mind that looking up is probably even better. Never occurred to me to switch into passenger seat to avoid death.

Lastly, the whole Warthog flipping did sound a little complicated, but I think I get what you’re saying. Basically not use the actual driving of your Hog, but the Camera straighten things up instead?

Also, can touch up on drifting and turning a bit? I find it ok to use the regular breaks lightly to turn, but I’m starting to think that the handbrake is much smoother.

> 2533274820642782;13:
> As much as I love and practice these tips, they don’t really matter if someone reqs a hydra or binary rifle or other hog breaking power weapon. You guys are great, no doubt, but you were also lucky nobody really wanted to take you out. That and I’m usually alone so I can only gun and drive separately…

Well,you know, luck is always a factor that influences a great hogrun .Also the fact that we often play in bigger partys helps he Hog team, so people with Powerweapons have some more problems than just the Hog . :slight_smile: Also if you have some different Hog REQs available you should think when to use which because of later power weapon REQs from the enemys. If I recall right, Sarge talked about it in the 4th video of his commentary.
I know the struggle of gunning and driving alone just to well. You should really try to find a person to form a Hog duo,it makes such a huge difference and feels so much better,

> 2533274821174589;14:
> Also, can touch up on drifting and turning a bit? I find it ok to use the regular breaks lightly to turn, but I’m starting to think that the handbrake is much smoother.

I personally haven’t played Halo 5 yet but I assume the handbrake is still on the L trigger? If so then yes, in the past Halo games I was basically drifting all over the place,all the time so I think it shouldn’t lost it’s usefullness in this Game.

wow… great stuff here!
To be honest, I’ve only called in a hog once in warzone , after reading and watching all 4 videos, I think I will call in more!

> 2533274821174589;14:
> Nice tips, I always find that the Marines do a lot of damage when focusing fire. The hogs in this game have gotten a lot better, to where few frags don’t instantly have you smoking. Also notice the shield helps if you look towards the person shooting; I try to fire back while doing so to knock them out, but I will keep in mind that looking up is probably even better. Never occurred to me to switch into passenger seat to avoid death.
>
> Lastly, the whole Warthog flipping did sound a little complicated, but I think I get what you’re saying. Basically not use the actual driving of your Hog, but the Camera straighten things up instead?
>
> Also, can touch up on drifting and turning a bit? I find it ok to use the regular breaks lightly to turn, but I’m starting to think that the handbrake is much smoother.

Countersteering is pretty simple when you start doing it. If you start rolling and your hog is sideways, straighten your camera first. You want to orient the camera first so that the hog is pointed forward. Then, whenever you start to get wheels on the ground, drive in the direction of the wheels on the ground. So if you’re rolling to your right, drive to the right on the right wheels. If you’re rolling to the left, drive to the left on the left wheels.

I’m still experimenting with the e-brake in this game. I use the e-brake (left trigger) to do tight spins and quickly turn around. I also use it to slide around corners so that I can keep driving straight without losing my acceleration too much. I also use it to slow down slightly and slide over bumps in the road. It can get you rolled if you e-brake while being shot though.

I use the hand brake (right bumper for me on bumper jumper) to help kill my speed before going over rises, but I typically just reverse for that instead of hitting the full brake.

> 2533274820642782;13:
> As much as I love and practice these tips, they don’t really matter if someone reqs a hydra or binary rifle or other hog breaking power weapon. You guys are great, no doubt, but you were also lucky nobody really wanted to take you out. That and I’m usually alone so I can only gun and drive separately.

You should come hang out with us. You’re definitely going to find drivers and gunners willing to play with you.

You are correct, however, in that much of the success of the game I voiced over involves people not properly aggressing on the Warthog. That is actually what I want, though. An enemy team trying to kill my hog is not pushing the position that my teammates are anchored on where they can help me. As for anti-hog weaponry, while it is a threat, it’s something you learn to drive against but can still be worth it. Someone spawning a binary rifle to burn down a 2 point hog is a worthwhile trade in my eyes.

Making the other team FEEL your warthog on the map is the most important part to me. Impacting their decision making, forcing them to not do the things they want to do because they’re scared of your hog is why you run the hog to begin with.

> 2533274829682472;9:
> I doubt we’ll ever see another hog as powerful as Halo 3, but we continue to find success. It’s what we do.

True that.