Walshy Hands on Multiplayer Details

He got to play 2 games so far. Hear what he has to say about Halo 4 if you didn’t.
Link

Scoring systems going by “actions” and not kills/deaths?

Power weapon system going by player points and basically taking the form of killstreaks?

I mean these things seem interesting, but they dont seem very competitive and since were talking about Walshy, not fit for MLG play.

I was hoping for some 4v4 slayer match reviews, I dont know if they only had one version available but anyone can clearly see how Kill-streak weapon drops and alternate scoring systems are not fit for competitive play. Im not going to write those features off, but I hope they have more competitive playlists without those things.

> Scoring systems going by “actions” and not kills/deaths?
>
> Power weapon system going by player points and basically taking the form of killstreaks?
>
> I mean these things seem interesting, but they dont seem very competitive and since were talking about Walshy, not fit for MLG play.
>
> I was hoping for some 4v4 slayer match reviews, I dont know if they only had one version available but anyone can clearly see how Kill-streak weapon drops and alternate scoring systems are not fit for competitive play. Im not going to write those features off, but I hope they have more competitive playlists without those things.

Elamite and Naded have also commented their loving Halo 4 so far. As far as competitive goes I think you’ll have to get really hands on with the matchmaking ranking system and MLG playlist/settings before that can be determined exactly.

As long as 343i tweak based on both those community feedbacks for their respective playlists the population will be very healthy for a long long time, on top of Spartan Ops that is.

> > Scoring systems going by “actions” and not kills/deaths?
> >
> > Power weapon system going by player points and basically taking the form of killstreaks?
> >
> > I mean these things seem interesting, but they dont seem very competitive and since were talking about Walshy, not fit for MLG play.
> >
> > I was hoping for some 4v4 slayer match reviews, I dont know if they only had one version available but anyone can clearly see how Kill-streak weapon drops and alternate scoring systems are not fit for competitive play. Im not going to write those features off, but I hope they have more competitive playlists without those things.
>
> Elamite and Naded have also commented their loving Halo 4 so far. As far as competitive goes I think you’ll have to get really hands on with the matchmaking ranking system and MLG playlist/settings before that can be determined exactly.
>
> As long as 343i tweak based on both those community feedbacks for their respective playlists the population will be very healthy for a long long time, on top of Spartan Ops that is.

Yeah, most of the news from E3 has been promising, and has left me optimistic in more than one way. BUT, when it comes to competitive play the old power weapon system is obviously the ideal power weapon system for competitive play, evidenced by its success in most Arena type shooters. Again, the different variation of new power-ups like increased damage(hopefully more double-damage than Quad damage lol) and increased speed sounds cool, but again the fact that they are in “kill-streak form” is suspect.

When Walshy said “Most of the time I can capture ALL my ordinance drops” by basically from what it seems like moving away from the enemy team and camping in a corner, that raised the red flag for me. He also said “You have to be close to the player to contest the power drop” that again, screams personal kill-streak to me and not a power item that has to be carefully timed and controlled by BOTH teams.

Competition wise, predictability is the most important factor and the traditional power weapon system is 100 percent predictable in timing and placement while “Ordinance drops” while a fun twist, are not predictable in timing and placement for BOTH TEAMS, only ONE team would have that intel. So again fun, but not optimal for something like MLG.

> > > Scoring systems going by “actions” and not kills/deaths?
> > >
> > > Power weapon system going by player points and basically taking the form of killstreaks?
> > >
> > > I mean these things seem interesting, but they dont seem very competitive and since were talking about Walshy, not fit for MLG play.
> > >
> > > I was hoping for some 4v4 slayer match reviews, I dont know if they only had one version available but anyone can clearly see how Kill-streak weapon drops and alternate scoring systems are not fit for competitive play. Im not going to write those features off, but I hope they have more competitive playlists without those things.
> >
> > Elamite and Naded have also commented their loving Halo 4 so far. As far as competitive goes I think you’ll have to get really hands on with the matchmaking ranking system and MLG playlist/settings before that can be determined exactly.
> >
> > As long as 343i tweak based on both those community feedbacks for their respective playlists the population will be very healthy for a long long time, on top of Spartan Ops that is.
>
> Yeah, most of the news from E3 has been promising, and has left me optimistic in more than one way. BUT, when it comes to competitive play the old power weapon system is obviously the ideal power weapon system for competitive play, evidenced by its success in most Arena type shooters. Again, the different variation of new power-ups like increased damage(hopefully more double-damage than Quad damage lol) and increased speed sounds cool, but again the fact that they are in “kill-streak form” is suspect.
>
> When Walshy said “Most of the time I can capture ALL my ordinance drops” by basically from what it seems like moving away from the enemy team and camping in a corner, that raised the red flag for me. He also said “You have to be close to the player to contest the power drop” that again, screams personal kill-streak to me and not a power item that has to be carefully timed and controlled by BOTH teams.
>
> Competition wise, predictability is the most important factor and the traditional power weapon system is 100 percent predictable in timing and placement while “Ordinance drops” while a fun twist, are not predictable in timing and placement for BOTH TEAMS, only ONE team would have that intel. So again fun, but not optimal for something like MLG.

It’s been stated that everyone on the battlefield is aware of what and where those ordnance drops occur. It has an indicator and a timer for all to see.

I think this mechanic is going to help competition for moving map control and keep things interesting because of varied timing and placement all over the map. Spawn camping is reduced but competition and teamwork are preserved.

From my understanding so far this system when combined with playlist settings is going to provide so much varied gameplay and at least 2-3 modes of really competitive play that can be ranked.

I’m all for that.

I wasn’t aware ordinance drops would work like care packages… :frowning:

This guy said he liked Halo Reach before it came out too. Just sayin.