Visual Skill Based Ranks cause "boosting".

Yeah right, what a load of rubbish.

I guess people forget the number of players that Bungie banned in Reach due to network manipulation to reset challenges. The numbers were ridiculous, In the tens of Thousands all within 2 weeks and I remember one day where they announced that another 15,000 people had received the Ban Hammer.

It’s MUCH easier to Boost a progression system, Progression systems actually promote more Boosting and cheating than a skill based system. Why? Because if you cheat a skill based rank you’re only hurting yourself, you wont be able to play the gamemode with the boosted rank system because you would get dominated, thus being de ranked.

Call of Duty is another strong form of evidence that a Progressive system causes MASSIVE amounts of boosting, cheating and Hacking. Call of Duty has a ridiculous amount of boosters, cheaters and hackers, on both the PC, Xbox and PS3, before the patch last year, MW2 was filled to the brim with Hackers.

Reach also suffered many AFKers as well, something that was pretty much none existent in Halo 2 and 3.

The “Boosting” argument is completely invalid.

<mark>I expect to be flamed for this. (Although this isn’t meant as a hate thread towards 343 as I am still looking forward to the game, but it’s a point I would like to make against the completely invalid argument people use)</mark>

Visible progression-based ranks cause more boosting because it is far easier to do. I couldn’t be bothered to boost a 50 in Halo 3, but my Inheritor took nothing more than an hour of custom challenges every morning for a month.

Exactly, people are going to cheat and boost no matter what system is in place. I guess since a minority of people did it 343 feels the best solution is to scrap the entire system and go down the path of COD. And believe me, this entire game screams CoD, it’s almost not even recognizable as a halo game.

I don’t see the problem in boosting skill anyway, if you suck you’ll just be de-ranked.

I think 343 is just using the boosting excuse to cover up the fact that they are all about #'s. They do not want some little kid to get his feelings hurt because he can’t get past X rank.

The current system will encourage more boosting than a skill based system ever could.

At least selling a high-progression-rank account doesn’t mess with skill-based matchaking.

> Because if you cheat a skill based rank you’re only hurting yourself, you wont be able to play the gamemode with the boosted rank system because you would get dominated, thus being de ranked.

Wasn’t a problem in H3 bBecause you could get a 50 in Team Slayer and have it forever.

> Call of Duty is another strong form of evidence that a Progressive system causes MASSIVE amounts of boosting, cheating and Hacking. Call of Duty has a ridiculous amount of boosters, cheaters and hackers, on both the PC, Xbox and PS3, before the patch last year, MW2 was filled to the brim with Hackers.

Also because IW doesn’t do anything to stop them.

> Reach also suffered many AFKers as well, something that was pretty much none existent in Halo 2 and 3.

In FF.

> The “Boosting” argument is completely invalid.

No.

> > Because if you cheat a skill based rank you’re only hurting yourself, you wont be able to play the gamemode with the boosted rank system because you would get dominated, thus being de ranked.
>
> Wasn’t a problem in H3 bBecause you could get a 50 in Team Slayer and have it forever.

AWESOME! Now you have a number next to your name that has no affect on the rest of the population or the functionality of ranked playlists.

What a great reason to get rid of visual ranks.

> What a great reason to get rid of visual ranks.

Actually, I think the great reason why to get rid of 1-50 was the widespread and epidemic boosting and Halo black market.

Frankie has even stated the former.

AFKing doesn’t hurt anyone but the person doing it. Boosting in Halo 3’s system guaranteed worse matches for every person who ever played with that booster again.

Boosting a progressive system doesn’t affect anyone but the booster, boosting in a skill based system completely invalidates the skill based system and makes it inaccurate for EVERYONE. Simple.

> > Because if you cheat a skill based rank you’re only hurting yourself, you wont be able to play the gamemode with the boosted rank system because you would get dominated, thus being de ranked.
>
> Wasn’t a problem in H3 bBecause you could get a 50 in Team Slayer and have it forever.
>
>
>
> > Call of Duty is another strong form of evidence that a Progressive system causes MASSIVE amounts of boosting, cheating and Hacking. Call of Duty has a ridiculous amount of boosters, cheaters and hackers, on both the PC, Xbox and PS3, before the patch last year, MW2 was filled to the brim with Hackers.
>
> Also because IW doesn’t do anything to stop them.
>
>
>
> > Reach also suffered many AFKers as well, something that was pretty much none existent in Halo 2 and 3.
>
> In FF.
>
>
>
> > The “Boosting” argument is completely invalid.
>
> No.

No it wasn’t only in FF, it was in every single playlist, the amount of AFKer’s is ridiculous.

They can fix the “keeping your rank” by making it play like Starcraft 2’s system, and SC2’s system is completely different to Arena.

Also explain how Blizzard have managed to keep the system in SC2 completely hacker free, and it is pretty much Impossible to boost in that system, is it really that hard to create a system like theirs? No. IF anything it’s easier because hacking is much easier on PC’s meaning Blizzards system has an amazing design.

> > What a great reason to get rid of visual ranks.
>
> Actually, I think the great reason why to get rid of 1-50 was the widespread and epidemic boosting and Halo black market.
>
> Frankie has even stated the former.

Frankie is clearly ignoring the opposite side of the coin. Boosters are as prevalent(if not more) in a progressive ranking system.

> <mark>AFKing doesn’t hurt anyone but the person doing it.</mark> Boosting in Halo 3’s system guaranteed worse matches for every person who ever played with that booster again.
>
>
> Boosting a progressive system doesn’t affect anyone but the booster, boosting in a skill based system completely invalidates the skill based system and makes it inaccurate for EVERYONE. Simple.

Please tell me you’re trolling, someone AFKING effects the entire team that that player is on.

Actually boosting in a skill based system takes a whole lot of people doing it to invalidate the whole ranking system. Since we will never know the actual numbers of total unique players and those that boosted/sold accounts in H3 we’ll never know to what extent said boosting effected the entire population.

The point still stands though that boosting a skill based system is ridiculous because once done the person who did so can never play rated again or they’ll get destroyed. That, however, is not true in a progression based system. It’s boost away and there are almost no consequences for it until caught by the banhammer. Further, having weapons tied to the progression system and unlocking will just promote boosting even more. Don’t wanna earn the storm rifle or light rifle legit? Boost away. It is a virtual certainity this will happen in the first day of H4’s release.

Obviously, from the above, boosting a progression system doesn’t just effect that person but everyone they play with.

When people see their rank they want higher and more; they want to feel good about themselves. Sad but true.

This only promotes people boosting. Halo needs to have appeal across the gaming world.

If cater to that select few that boost just to feel good about themselves, you lose a HUGE portion of the other base needed to support a game.

I think its a GREAT idea to hide the “level”. Play the game and enjoy it or just go find a game that lets you boost.