Views on Palmer?

I see so much controversy surrounding her character on the forums and other media, seems veey much a love or hate issue. What aree your guys opinions on her? What have 343 done right? What are the flaws? Can you think of improvements that could be made?

I like her character. I don’t think she is the best person and I think we would not get along but I do like her character. To me, she fits well in the Halo EU.

She’s interesting, if a bit bullish. I like her style, characteristics such as her loyalty and it’s awesome to have the voice of Commander Shepherd in Halo. I think part of the reason fans have disliked her and her dialogue is due to her being written mainly by Halo 5’s lead writer. They made them say ridiculous, anti-intellectual things like “eggheads” and made her come across as extremely hypocritical.

Her hatred of Halsey could have worked to show her character flaws; namely her inability to accept grey morality in a post-war universe. But it was poorly handled and explained. A lot of the time she just seem unbearably insecure and immature. There were good moments exploring this in Escalation such as when she had to confront her, but it was hardly visited in Halo 5. Halsey and Palmer were together quite a lot and despite this she doesn’t appear to have issues trusting her.

I would have prepared it if she was very skeptical of Halsey at the beginning of Halo 5, but then began to express some degree of respect for her by the end. Instead it’s just unclear and lacking like a lot of Halo 5’s “development”.

> 2533274929494620;3:
> She’s interesting, if a bit bullish. I like her style, characteristics such as her loyalty and it’s awesome to have the voice of Commander Shepherd in Halo. I think part of the reason fans have disliked her and her dialogue is due to her being written mainly by Halo 5’s lead writer. They made them say ridiculous, anti-intellectual things like “eggheads” and made her come across as extremely hypocritical.
>
> Her hatred of Halsey could have worked to show her character flaws; namely her inability to accept grey morality in a post-war universe. But it was poorly handled and explained. A lot of the time she just seem unbearably insecure and immature. There were good moments exploring this in Escalation such as when she had to confront her, but it was hardly visited in Halo 5. Halsey and Palmer were together quite a lot and despite this she doesn’t appear to have issues trusting her.
>
> I would have prepared it if she was very skeptical of Halsey at the beginning of Halo 5, but then began to express some degree of respect for her by the end. Instead it’s just unclear and lacking like a lot of Halo 5’s “development”.

Well said. As prominent as she is in the universe, I never get the sense that she’s taken seriously, which is a tragedy. And considering Escalation’s final explanation for Palmer’s befuddling civility toward Halsey in Halo 5 was basically just “She embarrassed herself and I lol’d,” after all that build-up between those two, all that antagonism, I’m starting to doubt if Palmer will be taken seriously by any writer in any medium.

Palmer is one of them characters that really does have potential, unfortunately bad writing seems to almost ruin her entire character arc.

The negatives

• Palmer is meant to be a Spartan commander yet she doesn’t act like one. She constantly puts down her Spartans and verbally abuses fellow soldiers and science teams due to them not meeting her standards, its like she forgot what it was like not being a Spartan. - Egg heads. Now the quote or its frequency isn’t the problem, the problem is Palmers views on scientists. Palmer believes that scientists think they are smarter than her because they spent years getting a degree in a certain field, the harsh reality is that scientists cant think as fast as she can but they are generally smarter and for some reason she cant accept that. - Palmer has such a disregard for the chain of command, she constantly disobeys laskys orders and doesn’t pay attention to his concerns. This has led her to constantly fail and fail to the point that she should have been demoted or transferred, the Janus key story arc and the last few episodes of Spartan ops are proof of this. (One thing to point out is that Laksy does let her have more freedom than he should do) - When Palmer becomes obsessed with a target she will put her fellow Spartans needlessly at risk, she does this to Spartan Thorne on two separate occasions in the Janus key arc. - She is short sighted. Palmer has a go at Halsey for soiling the Spartan name and armour even though Halsey herself designed it and created the Spartans. Instead of listening to Spartan Scruggs she just outright killed him, if Scruggs revealed what he knew the Halo universe would be considerably different. - Her plans despite working can sometimes be described as over the top or very risky. Driving a warthog on to a phantom that a fellow Spartan literally just tagged sit a target locator. - For months Palmer brags about how she’s going to kill Halsey yet when she gets the chance she suddenly cant do ItThe positives

• When she pays attention and focuses she is a very capable Spartan, the events in Spartan assault prove that she is and can be a hero if she puts her mind to it. - Palmer has high standards for her Spartans and when she isn’t putting them down she rewards them and provides encouragement. - Her dedication to the Spartan branch is commendable - Halo 5 showed she can put aside her differences and act like a proper Spartan - She is willing to improve herselfAll in all I do like Palmer but to be honest she is my least preferred character in the entire saga, even over Tartarus.

I see so much potential, i think a novel should bring her to the forefront. Flesh out the character, provide backstories and enhance her relationships with other characters. I think her as an ODST would provide plenty to write about, and how the loss oglf her team shaped her?

And her halsey relationship i think i can see an angle, even if poor writing let it down. She was denied the chance to kill Halsey, much to Palmers chagrin, and sought revenge the whole time they were on opposite sides of the fight. Though when halsey had information to offer and came back into the fold on the infinity,the kill order rescinded and palmer denied her chance. But being a good soldier, she could see halsey was tactically beneficial and being forced to play along and having tested Laskys patience to the brink more than once already she is playing nice. But you can still see animosity, especially during the pelican ride at the battle of sunaion towards the guardian, palmer still enjoys pushing halsey in subtler ways now. I probably once again have looked too deeply into this again but thats my theory

Palmer, I would of liked it if she was on FireTeam Osiris, because she has / HAD a personal issue with Hasley, So seeing how Master Chief vs Agent Locke played out, it would of been interesting to see Chief unleash his inner spartan against all of Osiris, because One he is being Hunted down, Two, It would gave him and the fans of Halo a better story and kept it to where Chief and Locke / both there teams not be allies at the end of the game, but have something against each other. How Halo 5 ended, I was satisfied, but still disappointed that over a little 30 second fight and massive propaganda in the trailers and Hunt the Truth series, it lead us to believe that Both Teams rivaled against each other or that Chief and Locke would have a Massive showdown where possibly Chief would " die " or learn that he is human. The whole Cortana coming back and being the " villain " wasn’t an issue for me considering that Bungie came up with the idea first and placed it in Halo CE through Halo 3 and it being hinted at multiple times in the books that are based on Chief and Cortana.
I think when it came to FireTeam Osiris, It should of been Your own Spartan as the commander, Something like reach, you played as your spartan. and the team would of consisted of, Palmer, Buck, and either Tanaka or Vale, Having your team squad off with blue team would of been perfect, you your spartan vs Chief, Palmer vs Kelly, buck vs Fred, Tanaka or Vale vs linda