Video Games Now LEGALLY Considered an Art Form (in the USA)

Big news in the gaming world today. Video games are now legally considered an art form in the USA!

Roger Ebert himself said that video games will never be art, or at least that nobody now living will experience them as art. (<a href=http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/04/video_games_can_never_be_art.html>Source)

I got kicked out of my 7th grade class for arguing with my art teacher about this. Suck it, art teacher.

For anyone in DC or traveling to DC, the Smithsonian has an entire exhibit dedicated to video game art.

Link

> Big news in the gaming world today. Video games are now legally considered an art form in the USA!
>
> http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109835-Games-Now-Legally-Considered-an-Art-Form-in-the-USA
>
> Roger Ebert himself said that video games will never be art, or at least that nobody now living will experience them as art. (<a href=http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/04/video_games_can_never_be_art.html>Source)
>
>
> I got kicked out of my 7th grade class for arguing with my art teacher about this. Suck it, art teacher.

AWSOME!~~~!!

I’ve had this argument with many people. Good to see, I WIN!

So many teachers in the US seem to be kicking people for disagreeing with them…
I haven’t seen it happen in the schools I’ve been to in Montréal.

> I’ve had this argument with many people. Good to see, I WIN!

Eeeexactly.I made a video talking about this(shameless self promotion)

:slight_smile:

> So many teachers in the US seem to be kicking people for disagreeing with them…
> I haven’t seen it happen in the schools I’ve been to in Montréal.

I was in Ontario and I got kicked.

I think it was a bad and stupid decision. You play games because you want fun and that´s it. I can never understand how Call of Duty can be art. Some games maybe are art but the majority of all games aren´t.

lol, We Win.

Now if only Activision or EA would come to understand.

I’m reminded of an old conversation between an Athenian and a Spartan:

Athenian: "You have so few rules in Sparta, why is that?
Spartan: “Men with few words have few rules.”

Common sense.

> I think it was a bad and stupid decision. You play games because you want fun and that´s it. I can never understand how Call of Duty can be art. Some games maybe are art but the majority of all games aren´t.

Fingerpainting.

This a good win and a bad win at the same time. Good because yay for recognition and it is about darn time, but bad for government funding for videogames. Can you imagine all the junk ideas out there that could potentially be made into video games because of the funding? But more than likely the games would be made into probably stuff for schools and other beneficial public things.

Just imagine some titles:

Oregon Trail 2: Wagon’s East.
Goldrush! (49ers)
Fallout: The Great Depression
Red Glare (America’s fight for independence - focuses on key characters and is done like a GTA)
Beat the Train (system map of transit system that plays like an interactive video game to find schedules and routes)

> I think it was a bad and stupid decision. You play games because you want fun and that´s it. I can never understand how Call of Duty can be art. Some games maybe are art but the majority of all games aren´t.

To you, the end product, the “fact” that what you have is an interaction of pixels and models due to a person’s input through an interface may be what videogames are to YOU, that all are not forms of art does not put them in the majority of non-art category. The majority of games strife for one or a very limited form of artistic presentation. Mostly games are an expression of visual art. A few are an expression of theatrical style. And a lot try to move their “levels” through a form of narrative.

I agree videogames are not a form of art. They are a representation of many forms of art on a newer medium… And the medium IS the message.
Videogames aren’t just the metaphysical representation of someone’s belief that the medium is the message. Videogames are the direct interaction to any and all other mediums possible. Removing the metaphysical and creating the literal bridge between medium and message.

As far as what 1, one can do inside a game. Or 2, in the MP and how it relates to “art.”

  1. Do we not consider world-builders artists in both religious and fictional texts? Rhetorical, yes we do. The very idea that chaos can come together to create order has always been perceived as an art by us. It is the core of a videogame. Everything from how a player moves, the way bushes may or may not sway in the wind, the physics of objects, the glare of the light sources, etc, they’re all how the universe/world is built.

  2. And it is this core, this artificial world that players congregate around like a monument in a park. A centre-piece for conversation, interaction or simple admiration (or critiquing). And the best part is, it’s interactive. A videogame is like a Picasso in multiple dimensions that is able to be manipulated and touched on more levels then ever intended by even him.

Bah, for Ebert to deny videogames as an art is prove himself a man in need of further experience yet.

> > I think it was a bad and stupid decision. You play games because you want fun and that´s it. I can never understand how Call of Duty can be art. Some games maybe are art but the majority of all games aren´t.
>
> To you, the end product, the “fact” that what you have is an interaction of pixels and models due to a person’s input through an interface may be what videogames are to YOU, that all are not forms of art does not put them in the majority of non-art category. The majority of games strife for one or a very limited form of artistic presentation. Mostly games are an expression of visual art. A few are an expression of theatrical style. And a lot try to move their “levels” through a form of narrative.
>
> I agree videogames are not a form of art. They are a representation of many forms of art on a newer medium… And the medium IS the message.
> Videogames aren’t just the metaphysical representation of someone’s belief that the medium is the message. Videogames are the direct interaction to any and all other mediums possible. Removing the metaphysical and creating the literal bridge between medium and message.
>
> As far as what 1, one can do inside a game. Or 2, in the MP and how it relates to “art.”
>
> 1) Do we not consider world-builders artists in both religious and fictional texts? Rhetorical, yes we do. The very idea that chaos can come together to create order has always been perceived as an art by us. It is the core of a videogame. Everything from how a player moves, the way bushes may or may not sway in the wind, the physics of objects, the glare of the light sources, etc, they’re all how the universe/world is built.
>
> 2) And it is this core, this artificial world that players congregate around like a monument in a park. A centre-piece for conversation, interaction or simple admiration (or critiquing). And the best part is, it’s interactive. A videogame is like a Picasso in multiple dimensions that is able to be manipulated and touched on more levels then ever intended by even him.
>
> Bah, for Ebert to deny videogames as an art is prove himself a man in need of further experience yet.

Well-said.

I truly don’t understand how ANYONE who plays games doesn’t consider them art. If films are considered art then why not video games? They are both a collection of different forms of art presented to the audience in a unique way.

It’s about time.

Might be because of the sector I’m living in has so many different cultures.

ART!

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=17546551&player=erickyboo