Veteran Fan's POV

I’ve been a longtime diehard Halo fan since my brother introduced me to the franchise the day he bought the original Xbox, brought it home, and we played Co-op together. I was hooked ever since.

Playing CE religiously all through high school with my friends, I was ecstatic for Halo 2 after my senior year to come out. I waited in a line of over 400 people at midnight for it, took it home and fell in love with the franchise all over again. I played the hell out of that game. Logged well over 8000 multiplayer games. It was truly revolutionary.

Then comes Halo 3. A masterpiece in gaming history and ingenuity. Again, got it at midnight, played it nonstop, and logged well over another 7-8000 games online. I loved it.

Then we get to Reach. What can I say that already hasn’t been said? The black swan of the bunch. Had great potential. Fell vasty short of its unimaginable pressure to impossibly be a successor to Halo 2&3.

Although it did some things well, it butchered other, major, and even what some may call “game breaking” mechanics beyond the point of repair. So much so in fact, that it got to the point where most of the guys I’d play with every night detested the game emphatically and subsequently, returned back to Halo 3. And I don’t blame them. While its still a fun game for what it is, it’s certainly no contender for a never-leave-the-tray type of Halo game.

I only say all this because I sort of lost hope a little bit in my beloved franchise. Somewhere along the way, it lost its soul. The very essence of what made it so addictive and great. Not to mention the social element these games were known for seemed missing. Everytime I play Reach there may be 2-4 people with mics. And that’s in a party! I used to search in full parties where everyone had a headset and would communicate. Even the randoms!

This brings me to my next and final point. When I saw what happened with Bungie and MS it left me with a sour taste. These are the people who created this brainchild and were pressured to churn out sequels, clearly taking the fun out of it for them, eventually forcing them to lose their inspiration and ultimately increasing their need to move on. Thus, leaving their franchise behind.

However, when I started to see the team that 343 was assembling I began to get a renewed sense of hope. It was as if new life was breathed into a corpse and it was rising right in front of my eyes.

Fast forward to the present, and with Anniversary being a great nostalgic kickback, and the reveal of Halo 4, I have a new found sense of calm and respect for this company as I know the fate of the franchise is in good hands.

Every piece of information that has come out thus far regarding Halo 4 has been inspiring and reassuring for me. I don’t worry about the game anymore. In fact, I’m thrilled with what I’ve seen. I can honestly say I haven’t been this excited for a game since the golden days of Halo 2/3.

This franchise has to evolve to stay relevant and while I do maintain a steady dose of cautious optimism, I have no real problem or objection to much, if not all of what I’ve seen to date. They know what they’re doing and change in a necessary process. I’m confident in the decisions that they make will not be the reason this game would fail. There’s no cause for concern in my opinion. They have the advantage of perspective on their side. Hindsight is always exponentially helpful when you know what does work, and more importantly, what does not work.

So in conclusion, fret not my fellow Halo gamers. For this new trilogy is in the care of those with the utmost respect, dignity, ability, vision, and inspiration and I have no doubt whatsoever in my mind that they will deliver. And then some.

I’m sorry for the long post but I felt it just had to be said. I’ll be waiting in line at midnight with my girlfriend, coffees in hand, ready to continue the fight. See you on the battlefield…or should I say the Infinity’s holodeck?

Goosebumps man, good post, thank you for not trying to represent anyone but yourself. From one vet to another. Happy hunting

I am glad to see that you feel just as good about the game as I do.

Excellent post, it’s nice to see other Halo veterans who have confidence in 343 Industries.

You didn’t like Reach but think Halo4 is going to be vastly different.

Interesting. I don’t know what news you’ve been reading, but it hasn’t been very good for veteran fans.

> You didn’t like Reach but think Halo4 is going to be vastly different.
>
> Interesting. I don’t know what news you’ve been reading, but it hasn’t been very good for veteran fans.

That’s all relative to ones opinion dude, even veteran fans are all fans for different reasons.

> > You didn’t like Reach but think Halo4 is going to be vastly different.
> >
> > Interesting. I don’t know what news you’ve been reading, but it hasn’t been very good for veteran fans.
>
> That’s all relative to ones opinion dude, even veteran fans are all fans for different reasons.

Agreed. I for one love Reach as much as any other Halo game.

you sir are both a saint and a scholar, well written…

Really? Because to me it sounds as if Halo 4 is keeping a lot of the game breaking features from Reach.

> Really? Because to me it sounds as if Halo 4 is keeping a lot of the game breaking mechanics from Reach.

Really? There can’t be one post that people allow to be positive? Really? You people make me very sad.

> Really? Because to me it sounds as if Halo 4 is keeping a lot of the game breaking features from Reach.

do you have to ruin the man’s brilliant post??

Nice read OP.

But I think I’ve got the recipe for making a post that includes a dislike for Reach, but still getting a warm reception. To praise H4 to the skies in it as well.

> You didn’t like Reach but think Halo4 is going to be vastly different.
>
> Interesting. I don’t know what news you’ve been reading, but it hasn’t been very good for veteran fans.

it hasn’t been good for classic fans. There are a lot of veterans who are fine with the evolved gameplay and being a veteran does not neccesarilly mean you must have the classic formula. Im a veteran of halo and i am not really upset as of right now. Sure there are a few things here and there that are a bit concerning but i will hold my opinion until more info is released.

> > Really? Because to me it sounds as if Halo 4 is keeping a lot of the game breaking features from Reach.
>
> do you have to ruin the man’s brilliant post??

Some people just have to be negative about everything related to Halo 4. It’s a shame, really, since I believe they’ll be missing out on a great game. :frowning:

> > > Really? Because to me it sounds as if Halo 4 is keeping a lot of the game breaking features from Reach.
> >
> > do you have to ruin the man’s brilliant post??
>
> Some people just have to be negative about everything related to Halo 4. It’s a shame, really, since I believe they’ll be missing out on a great game. :frowning:

Christ why does everybody have to jump on people who have a different opinion to the majority, it is a serious problem on this forum if you ask me. All I was saying is that features which have been very unpopular during Reach and were recognised as big issues are being put back in by 343, doesn’t sound very promising to me, excuse me for being so opinionated.

And why would I be missing out? If I wasn’t going to buy the game I wouldn’t spend my time on this forum.

I may not be as much as a Halo vet as you, but I too am very excited for Halo 4. I’ve heard the good and bad, and I just can’t wait until it comes out. Halo 3 came out my sophomore year of High School and that was by far one of the most exciting moments of september. I played Halo CE on my mac, bought an xbox 360 for Halo 2, and now, I’ve been waiting for Halo 4 for a year.

Bring it on.

> Really? Because to me it sounds as if Halo 4 is keeping a lot of the game breaking features from Reach.

Well assuming they edit them, which I think it’d be safe to say they would, then I’d still have no problem with it. Even though I hate armor lock, if it was made into a one-time use pick up item or something I could see its uses.

Do you see where I’m coming from? As long as they re-assess every aspect from Reach and the game in general as a whole, then we’re in good shape.

Simply by reading the post I want to send you a friend request. Good read. I can feel the same feelings you feel about Halo 4. Can’t wait! :stuck_out_tongue:

I am a Halo Vetren from Halo 2, I played a little competitive in Halo 3 but I became more casual because my friends/team sucked so I became more casual but thats beside the point I enjoyed every Halo game to an extent ODST kind of sucked and is my least favorite because the campaign like 80% of the game wasn’t spectacular still better than 3’s in my opinion. I like Reach and I still play it sure its no Halo 2 but it still entertains me I play MM and custom games which are fun but BTB is’nt very good because I don’t play in a big team me and two others at most and we get put up against a stacked team which sucks because the people I am teamed up with are horrible at the game and betray for power weapons so I only get Like 50 out 100 good games, and don’t say just play team slayer I hate small maps, and in my opinion that is the biggest problem placing full teams agaisnt random people something not even the 1-50 fixed.

Fantastic post! I dont understand why people cant accept the fact that the features that are going into halo 4 CAN BE DONE RIGHT !

Anyway it doesnt matter what they say we will clear minds will enjoy Halo 4 with hundreds of thousands of new halo fans while the haters get left behind :3