very long map load times w/ hard drive

Hi everyone,

I’ve recently gotten back into playing Halo 3 and have a technical issue that I can’t figure out. When playing Halo 3 multiplayer customs–using the Mythic/ODST disc 2–map load times are extremely long when the hard drive is connected. About 15 or 20 minutes to load a single map. This happens whether the game is installed or not. If I disconnect the hard drive, the maps load normally.

I’ve tried running system maintenance on the hard drive, and formatting the whole drive. Neither of those helped. Also this doesn’t happen with other games, including Halo 4 and Reach.

The 360 is one of the newer slim models with a 250GB hard drive.

Is there anything else I can try?

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

bump

1. Please do not bump.

2. Installing H3 on your HDD will make the game quieter but it will actually slow down load times as the game is not optimised for HDD installed gaming.
    (The game literally does every action twice when transferring game data because it’s not HDD optimised).

The OP says this happens whether the game is installed or not.

Um…I’m actually not too sure. Is the disc clean? That might be problem. I don’t see why this should happen when it’s not installed on a 250 GB HDD. :\

Yes the disc is clean and looks like it has no scratches. And it works well so long as the hard drive is disconnected. And yes with the hd connected this same issue happens whether the game is installed or not.