Vehicles. Are you serious?

First off let me provide you with some information about myself so you can understand my opinions based on my entire Halo play style and career. In the peak of Halo 3’s online muliplayer I held the world record for Chopper kills, Scorpion kills, and was placed number 3 in the world for most Wraith kills. All I do in Halo is use vehicles, it’s the way I play and the way I have fun. I have several vehicle montages and continued in Reach to acquire and enormous amount of vehicle kills. I don’t care what you think of the amount of skill or whatnot it takes to use vehicles so don’t bother bringing it up. Regardless of what you think about them, vehicles have always been a vital part of Halo. And there is a whole community of players who enjoy using them.

It’s been months since I played Halo 4 since I hit SR130, I simply have had no incentive to play. The multiplayer just seems so stale to me. Today however I was bored and decided I would try some matchmaking on the new maps, which are pretty bad maps to be honest. It seems like every single aspect of Halo 4 has been designed to make vehicles as ineffective as possible. There are three main factors that make vehicles tremendously atrocious to use in Halo 4.

1. The Health System
    One of the things I looked forward to the most about Halo 4 was the return of the Halo 3 style vehicle health system. Especially after the heaps of complaints of Reach’s vehicles being made of paper mache in the beta. And yet in the final version of Reach they went from paper mache to tin foil with Bungie claiming they fixed it. I was certain that in Halo 4 that 343 would capitalize on Bungie’s mistake. Yet in Halo 4, the health system is actually worse than it was in Reach. In Halo Reach, it took 10 seconds for a vehicle’s health to recharge after being shot. In Halo 4 it takes longer, I’m not sure by how much but I tested it. Unacceptable, why the hell would they nerf vehicles even further? The health system was the main concern of the community, and it wasn’t improved. It was made worse. I mean really?

2. Weapons
    The main point is the weapons that are on the vehicles, as well as the weapons any player can spawn with to make vehicles completely ineffective. The main reason vehicles were still a viable option in Halo Reach regardless of their horrendous health issue. Was that they had incredibly powerful weapons. This pretty much made up for the fact that they were so easy to destroy. They have a term for this, it’s called a glass cannon. This makes me think. If they nerfed vehicle health even further in Halo 4, woudln’t they make the weapons even more powerful or at the very least keep them at the same level they were in Reach? Nope. They nerfed the -Yoink- out of the weapons on the vehicles too. Banshee bomb is a complete joke. Scorpion shell now moves much slower and has an enormous amount of arc. Warthog turret is laughable. Mantis is almost useless. The EMP effect has also got a buff to make vehicles 100% helpless when EMPed. Halo 3, vehicle gets EMPed it loses the ability to move but can still operate weapons to defend itself. Halo Reach, when vehicles are EMPed they lose the ability to fire their weapons but can still rotate their weapons and be ready to fire when the EMP wears off. Halo 4, vehicles cannot use weapons or aim them while EMPed. Oh, and did I mention players can spawn with plasma pistols, and 3 plasma grenades? It’s so absurd. I’m not sure if this has been pointed out before. But these are things that may seen minor when developing the game, but make an enormous difference.

3. Maps + Gametypes
    It seems like every single BTB map is designed to make it difficult for vehicles to move around, and to put so much cover on the maps that people can spend half the game hiding. I’m not certain, but I’m fairly sure that Certain Affinity has created all the DLC for Halo 4. I downloaded every single map pack. And they all suck. That’s right, I haven’t played on a single map that I thought was good gameplay wise. It seems like the modern focus of maps is the background. The art. There’s all this cool stuff going on in the background yet every single map vehicle supporting map is almost exactly the same layout. Medium size with cover everywhere. The maps feel so cluttered it’s ridiculous. The ONLY good map in Halo 4 for vehicles is Ragnarok. And that’s because it’s a Halo 3 remake. Keep it simple and look to the previous Halo’s to see what made those maps play so well. Sandtrap, Standoff, Avalanche, ect. My problem with the gametypes pretty much only applies to BTB. It’s all slayer. All of it. No objective. What the -Yoink-. That’s so wrong. AT LEAST put in CTF AT LEAST.

This is the end of my rant. This is the last thread I am making ever. In desperate hopes that 343 sees it and returns vehicles to their previous glory.

Vehicles are a joke in this game. At the very least the Banshee is better then it was in Reach, but with players being able to spawn with a plasma pistol and plasma grenades, along with ordinance and vehicles being very susceptible to a variety of weapon damage, vehicle gameplay in this game seems to be discourage or only useful as for transportation.

Halo wasn’t always the most vehicle centric game as Battlefield was/is, but at least when I played Halo 3 a warthog so much more of a threat then it was in Halo 4. Now it just seems like a death sentence.

i’d like to see some proof that you have the most chopper, scorpion, and wraith kills, but that’s irrelevent for now

i agree 100%, vehicles have been nerfed to crap in H4
i can’t even get 8 wheelmans in a LAAG hog, Halo’s SIGNATURE VEHICLE

and i just played a game in reach, i drove my gunner to 22 kills in a LAAG hog

although, i will disagree with you saying the Mantis is useless
just the maps that it’s on make it useless, the vehicle itself is fine

Sure vehicles need a buff, but they aren’t that UP. I consistently score sprees with them. Hell, the mongoose can take 2 laser blasts.

I have only used vehicles on Halo 4. Thus, I have nothing to compare my experience, or lack thereof, with.

I have achieved many killing frenzies through to an Untouchable on the Gauss Hog;

I have driven 8 people to Unfirggenbelivables on the Gauss Hog;

I have many killing frenzies through to Rampages with the Scorpion;

I have many killing frenzies through to Rampages with the Banshee;

I have some killing frenzies and Running Riots with the Wraith;

I have some killing frenzies with the Ghost;

I only have driven 3 people to 8 kills each on the LAAG (don’t gun on it myself); and

I suck at the Mantis!

The point is, I love using vehicles but, I can not imagine the past halo world you and others speak of. Except for the LAAG, I find the vehicles in Halo 4 fine. I’m not sure I’d like them to be more powerful (other than the LAAG).

However, if you did not know,343i in their latest Bulletin have stated that:

" Vehicle Weapon Balance

We have seen many community concerns that certain vehicles may be examples of sandbox elements that could be improved. We are currently looking at tuning some of the weapons that these vehicles have at their disposal in order to increase their usefulness and viability. We greatly value the teamwork (and fun) required in riding around in a Warthog with a buddy, and want to ensure that this and other vehicles have great draw and value."

Vehicles were part of what drew me to Halo. It’s a shame that something that was such an important aspect of gameplay in previous titles has been reduced to almost non-existed.

Back in Halo 3, on maps like Rat’s Nest, there was a race at the start of a match to get in one of the two 'Hogs. Now, everyone ignores it, because it is a double kill on wheels.

> Vehicles were part of what drew me to Halo. It’s a shame that something that was such an important aspect of gameplay in previous titles has been reduced to almost non-existed.
>
> Back in Halo 3, on maps like Rat’s Nest, there was a race at the start of a match to get in one of the two 'Hogs. Now, everyone ignores it, because <mark>it is a double kill on wheels.</mark>

Actually, as well as enjoying the hell out of using vehicles…I have a fairly good record at destroying them. I’ve had tons of Hog triple kills and the odd overkill and killtac when others were too close to the hog I took down:)

You know how there is the medal Road Trip…if you have three in the Hog and go for a drive? Well, there should be a Mobile Coffin medal if you take out that same said Hog!

i love the vehicles. i was so stoked when i got wheelman and operator.

then they nerfed the gausshog.

now i have a hardlight/dmr/pp/plasma/mobility/explosives loadout solely for rushing vehicles. because i can. because why not?

As far as the UNSC vehicles go, I am inclined to agree. They could all use a bit of a bump up in health (save the Mantis). The Ghost though, I think is fine, but I am a bit biased having driven one around Splattering people left and right this morning. All vehicles could use a tweak to splatter damage against teammates/splatter damage against enemies, too.

My gripe with the vehicles on H4 is that you can “melee” a Scorpion & get a “vehicle destroy”
Yet when I take the time & put 5 sniper bullets in a Banshee all you get is a “sniper kill”
However if someone else gets the final shot on a Banshee I get a “vehicle destroy assist”

oh & how annoying are those damn Mongooses they bounce everywhere if not a 100% direct hit, I think they are the hardest 1 to destroy haha

You know Halo 4’s vehicles are messed up when the Mongoose is the hardest one to destroy.

> As far as the UNSC vehicles go, I am inclined to agree. They could all use a bit of a bump up in health (save the Mantis). The Ghost though, I think is fine, but I am a bit biased having driven one around Splattering people left and right this morning. All vehicles could use a tweak to splatter damage against teammates/splatter damage against enemies, too.

Thank you. I’ve been trying to get the castle achievement for splattering, and I run up against some noobs. Because only the ghost can splatter well, I only got 4 splatters.

It is sad, especially the banshee, its pretty pathetic when if its peaked out for more than 5 seconds its toast. (and I always run with wheelman)

Yea the vehicles are pretty weak as for the EMP issue i usualy just through on wheelman and it usually dont stay EMPed very long i mean by the time the dude shoots me with a plasma pistol then tries to roll up on me im usualy up and moving again and wheelman does increase the durability of your vehicle i would suggets usuing that perk alot if your a vehicle guy. as for me im usualy sniping you out of your vehicle i seem to find more fun in knowing i used a precision weapon to killl you in your vic.honestly i dont ever use the plasma pistol only used it in team deathmatch to get to max out the commendation yet that prooved horrible bad for since my kd went to -Yoink- and it was taking forever.

Not everyone starts off in btb with a plasma pistol yes its a awesome strategy but eh i can kill vehicles other ways two i dont even need a plasma im pretty good a dropping a frag in yur drive path fliping your warthog and killing you by tossing another frag and shooting

i guess im the one guy who doesnt start off with a dmr i prefer the battle rifle iv gotten pretty effective with it and if i have firepower on i usualy use BR and assault rifle Dmr is cool but i like faster shooters the vics are pretty weak though i have gone on a ramapge killing spree with ghost but i had wheelman on too.

The worst vehicle hit was the scorpion, to do good with the tank you need people to follow you and pick of runners, I remember when tanks were feared in MM

Weakest Vehicle sandbox since, uhm, Halo 2 I guess? Still and all, it’s serviceable. The Mantis is a fun addition. And hog driving is only curtailed in that the driver needs to be a little more patient and a little less petal to the medal.

The lack of UNSC air vehicle hurts… Especially after the Falcon, which I think would have been awesomely suited to H4 if they could only raise the ceiling.

Either way I think te lesson has been learned and we’ll see some fun stuff with the new hardware/engine in H5.

i will admit, only vehicle i think is terribly underpowered, is the Hog
the hog is the most classic, and greatest halo vehicle ever made
343i changed the design of it, changed the way it sounded, and have made it useless, EMP/plasma spawns render them useless
i never get on them, as i know how terribly easy they are to kill and im likely to do better on foot, if i see one coming, i have the urge to run at it in attempts for a grenade double kill

> You know Halo 4’s vehicles are messed up when the Mongoose is the hardest one to destroy.

i’ll say,lol I think the ghost and mantis are fine.All i know is that warhogs are a HUGE joke in h4.I use to love driving but now i see a hog and think…nah i’ll pass thanks.

the sad truth

The guass hog is deadly in good hands and team support.
Rocket hog is okay.
Regular hog could be improved if the gun did more damage.

The ghost is okay IMO.

I’m getting the hang of the banshee, but rarely get over 5 kills. Need to stay low of rangarok.

Mantis is okay, although could be improved for balance if the gun had more effective range and damage.

This my first online fps and I am enjoying it immensely. I guess I don’t have the downside of comparing it to previous incarnations.

Best game was 48 kills in the scorpian. But I usually don’t bother to pick it up at the start as a blue team that knows what it is doing smashes it.

So with a fresh perspective it is not all bad, except the regular hog And exile start favouring blue. You develop strategies to suit the vehicles and game. With some tweaks it could be improved. Team support really makes a difference. You can’t go charging around think you are invincible. Maybe the contrast makes it seem worse. But I’m okay if you generally can kid positive and occasionally get 5, 10 or more kills in a vehicle. If the vehicles were too strong I wouldn’t enjoy it so much either.