Vehicles Are Too Weak in Reach

This is a gameplay issue I’ve noticed while playing BTB in Reach. Everything that isn’t a Tank or Wraith is stupid easy to destroy. Vehicles like the Warthog and Ghost are now death traps and either go unused or are used like a mongoose. One of the main reasons is that there are more things in MM that can counter vehicles in Reach than any previous Halo game. Just look at the difference between Halo 3 and Reach.

Reach: Rockets, Laser, Plasma Launcher, Plasma Pistol, Grenade Launcher, Concussion Rifle, Fuel Rod, Stickies, Sniper Rifle, Armor Lock, and DMR.

Halo 3: Rockets, Laser, Plasma Pistol, Stickies, Trip Mine, Missile Pod, and Power Drainer.

That’s 11 to 7. That’s a bit much since vehicles were already made weaker by including separate health. 1 of the best ways to fix this would be making the Sniper and DMR do damage similar to what the Sniper and BR did to vehicles in H3. It’s bad enough to have to worry about heavy weapons and emps. The last thing I should have to be concerned about is a starting weapon and a weapon that has always been an anti-infantry weapon.

It also wouldn’t hurt if the Warthog didn’t float like it was in low gravity after every jump and the ghost got a damage boost since Armor Lock gets rid of its ability to splatter.

If AL got nerfed against vehicles, I would be happy. Not being able to splatter with the Ghost is worse than taking it out altogether.

Though it would be nice of the Hog got an armour buff. I mean, I get that the idea is teams can now combat overly aggressive Hogs, but the Gunner is pretty vulnerable to DMR fire. Two well-timed salvos from a team of 4 brings him down.

It takes a more skilled driver to keep the vehicles alive. I think the only vehicle that needs anything is the Warthog needs slightly better resistance to small weapons fire.

> It takes a more skilled driver to keep the vehicles alive. I think the only vehicle that needs anything is the Warthog needs slightly better resistance to small weapons fire.

You can be the most skilled warthog/ghost driver in the world, its pretty much impossible to avoid fire from across the map from snipers (aside from hiding).

Only thing i think needs fixing on vehicles is the Banshee’s ability to flip nonstop. Its highly abused imo.

> Only thing i think needs fixing on vehicles is the Banshee’s ability to flip nonstop. Its highly abused imo.

It is, but thats a whole different issue. Neither of the ghost or warthog have the defense to get within their weapons effective range without being lit up by DMR spam or a power weapon. Like I said before, because of how weak and ineffective they are, nobody uses them outside of transportation.

> This is a gameplay issue I’ve noticed while playing BTB in Reach. Everything that isn’t a Tank or Wraith is stupid easy to destroy. Vehicles like the Warthog and Ghost are now death traps and either go unused or are used like a mongoose. One of the main reasons is that there are more things in MM that can counter weapons in Reach than any previous Halo game. Just look at the difference between Halo 3 and Reach.
>
> Reach: Rockets, Laser, Plasma Launcher, Plasma Pistol, Grenade Launcher, Concussion Rifle, Fuel Rod, Stickies, Sniper Rifle, Armor Lock, and DMR.
>
> Halo 3: Rockets, Laser, Plasma Pistol, Stickies, Trip Mine, Missile Pod, and Power Drainer.
>
> That’s 11 to 7. That’s a bit much since vehicles were already made weaker by including separate health. 1 of the best ways to fix this would be making the Sniper and DMR do damage similar to what the Sniper and BR did to vehicles in H3. It’s bad enough to have to worry about heavy weapons and emps. The last thing I should have to be concerned about is a starting weapon and a weapon that has always been an anti-infantry weapon.
>
> It also wouldn’t hurt if the Warthog didn’t float like it was in low gravity after every jump and the ghost got a damage boost since Armor Lock gets rid of its ability to splatter.

What’s even funnier is that the mongoose is never used now because not only is it now slower and weaker than the warthog, it flips even more than it did in Halo 3.

That’s saying a lot.

Well the BR’s and Snipers are anti-vehicle weapons, so if a lot of people use them on the vehicles they will go down rather quickly.

i agree with you but if they were weakened then anywhere except under a rock would be a death trap because the banshee would become even more OP :confused:

> Only thing i think needs fixing on vehicles is the Banshee’s ability to flip nonstop. Its highly abused imo.

agreed. it should use up the boost bar. maybe 3 flips then a penalty?

> > Only thing i think needs fixing on vehicles is the Banshee’s ability to flip nonstop. Its highly abused imo.
>
> It is, but thats a whole different issue. Neither of the ghost or warthog have the defense to get within their weapons effective range without being lit up by DMR spam or a power weapon. Like I said before, because of how weak and ineffective they are, nobody uses them outside of transportation.

I think that’s better honestly.

In Halo 3 it was almost impossible to destroy a Warthog without a Laser. Remember Standoff and how there would be games where the Warthogs would dominate? I think Bungie wanted to put an end to that.

Thank God the Gauss Warthogs aren’t in any maps.

> > Only thing i think needs fixing on vehicles is the Banshee’s ability to flip nonstop. Its highly abused imo.
>
> It is, but thats a whole different issue. Neither of the ghost or warthog have the defense to get within their weapons effective range without being lit up by DMR spam or a power weapon. Like I said before, because of how weak and ineffective they are, nobody uses them outside of transportation.

Well if a power weapons kills a hog then thats fine. Its not called a power weapon for nothing lol. They cant up the hogs hit points too much or else you have a very fast tank.

If by connecting the flips to the boost meter, awesome :wink:

> > > Only thing i think needs fixing on vehicles is the Banshee’s ability to flip nonstop. Its highly abused imo.
> >
> > It is, but thats a whole different issue. Neither of the ghost or warthog have the defense to get within their weapons effective range without being lit up by DMR spam or a power weapon. Like I said before, because of how weak and ineffective they are, nobody uses them outside of transportation.
>
> Well if a power weapons kills a hog then thats fine. Its not called a power weapon for nothing lol. They cant up the hogs hit points too much or else you have a very fast tank.

Im not saying make it so it can resist direct shots from a rocket, laser, etc. Im saying the DMR shouldn’t be able to counter it and be a reliable anti-vehicle weapon like it is. That and the sniper should be forced to target the driver/gunner instead of the vehicle itself since it has the longest range in the game.

As for the banshee, it should just be returned to how it was in Halo 3. Where its bomb had a longer recharge with less of a kill area, and only breaks tracking weapons ability to track if it rolls at just the right second instead of at any point after the weapon was fired.

Personally I think that the vehicle balance is great except for two things: Warthog armour is just a little too weak to standard arms fire. If it was just a little more resilient it would be more enjoyable to drive. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still devastating in the right hands but it just feels a little too easy to kill.
The only other issue that I see is the Banshee’s flips. Personally I believe they should have some sort of effect on the boost gauge (1/3rd of the gauge per trick, also the gauge should take a bit longer to recharge, it’s almost pointless in its current form) which causes pilots to play smarter as they’d have to choose between short range agility and speed for traversing the map.

Otherwise I actually like the vehicle balance in Reach, and this is coming from a guy who uses vehicles a lot.

Sniper Rifle should have stayed anti-infantry. Whoever’s dumb -Yoink- idea it was to make it anti-vehicle, I’d like to sit them in front of an Abrams tank with a .50 cal and see what happens.

> Sniper Rifle should have stayed anti-infantry. Whoever’s -Yoink- idea it was to make it anti-vehicle, I’d like to sit them in front of an Abrams tank with a .50 cal and see what happens.

Sniper in Halo is approximately .70 caliber. In real life, the Soviets used a .70 caliber rifle in WWII at one point as an anti-tank, armor piercing weapon. Do your research next time kiddo. And .50 caliber barrets (Spelling, I know) are easily capable of shooting down aircraft.

This is Halo not Battlefield. It doesn’t need to be “realistic” especially when that “realism” ruins gameplay.

At least those are Sniper rounds not hitting you or your teams faces. I like the Anti-Matter Sniper for a number of reasns and think it should stay, but certain vehicles do seem rather weak. Especially the Hogs.

> At least those are Sniper rounds not hitting you or your teams faces. I like the Anti-Matter Sniper for a number of reasns and think it should stay, but certain vehicles do seem rather weak. Especially the Hogs.

But if it wasn’t anti-vehicle then the warthog could force the sniper to waste more rounds by not blowing up when the sniper tries to shoot the driver/gunner and only hits the warthog itself. That and the warthog would actually be a threat to the sniper and force him/her to retreat making it so they don’t have an opportunity to shoot.