Variants for loadout guns in halo XB1

Hi everyone, so in every halo so far guns have been very generic. The battle rifle, the DMR, the assault rifle, the plasma rifle, etc. They are all exactly the same.

In halo XB1 how about changing that with a variant system for the primary and secondary weapons!

Allow me to better explain what I mean. Lets look at the battle rifle as an example. There have been a few different battle rifle variants over the halos such as the BR55, BR55HB SR, BR85HB SR, and XBR55. Lets make it so players can pick the one they want! Not only will each variant have a different look, but will also perform slightly different.

For example the BR55 has a slightly faster fire rate but not quite as good red reticule range. Or the XBR55 has slightly stronger aim assist but a little more spread. subtle things such as this.

There can be variants for every loadout gun, from the storm rifle to the light rifle! This would be really fun huh? And it adds flexibility and strategy to halo as players carefully choose the perfect variant of their favorite gun.

one thing to note too is that these variants share common ammo. So if I am using a BR85HB SR and walk over an XBR55 ill still pick up battle rifle ammo.

In the loadout menu, as you pick “battle rifle” or “DMR” you are then prompted to choose the variant you like best! pretty cool right?

It sounds nice and all, but at the end of the day it is impractical. I would much rather have them spend their time balancing more diverse weapons rather than variants of the same weapons.

In fact I would rather have loadouts become more limited if they return rather more expansive. Ideally they wouldn’t return at all in the core series and just leave it for a spin-off.

Sounds interesting, but I think that it is very unneeded. Overall, I would like to see us move away from custom loadouts, so this would not be practical. Also, I always liked the idea in Halo that as soon as someone sees a gun picked up, they know exactly how it will perform. I have never liked how in CoD or BF you have to read this paragraph of a description to figure out the exact different between one assault rifle and another. I much prefer the idea of just seeing a BR or a Carbine and knowing the difference automatically.

Simplicity is something we should be shooting for in the next Halo.

> It sounds nice and all, but at the end of the day it is impractical. I would much rather have them spend their time balancing more diverse weapons rather than variants of the same weapons.
>
> In fact I would rather have loadouts become more limited if they return rather more expansive. Ideally they wouldn’t return at all in the core series and just leave it for a spin-off.

ohh no no no not at all impractical not at all. The variants are more or less the same save for minor gameplay and aesthetic differences. It would be good for halo because it lets players carefully consider what gun variant works best for them. Players still pick from a list of diverse weapons but on top of that choose a variant for that pick. Simply more fun and customizability.

> > It sounds nice and all, but at the end of the day it is impractical. I would much rather have them spend their time balancing more diverse weapons rather than variants of the same weapons.
> >
> > In fact I would rather have loadouts become more limited if they return rather more expansive. Ideally they wouldn’t return at all in the core series and just leave it for a spin-off.
>
> ohh no no no not at all impractical not at all. <mark>The variants are more or less the same save for minor gameplay and aesthetic differences.</mark> It would be good for halo because it lets players carefully consider what gun variant works best for them. Players still pick from a list of diverse weapons but on top of that choose a variant for that pick. Simply more fun and customizability.

That is why they are impractical.

I would prefer that there are no loadouts at all.

I like the loadout concept but your ideas for it directly contradict what halo is about, and I’m not going to bother to try to convince you otherwise, because you won’t listen at all. Just know that changing a series is not the same as evolving it.

I think cod is your game not halo.

> I like the loadout concept but your ideas for it directly contradict what halo is about, and I’m not going to bother to try to convince you otherwise, because you won’t listen at all. Just know that changing a series is not the same as evolving it.
>
> I think cod is your game not halo.

ehh. don’t really like cod.

why would you say that? course ill listen, shoot.

i really don’t see how you don’t like CoD or battlefield MM gameplay sammy as EVERY SINGLE SUGGESTION you’ve ever made for halo has come from these two games.

i suggest playing them both for a solid period of time, then think of how these ideas may not work in halo based on what halo already is.

Ehh, this would be fine if the weapon variants were visual-only. If you want your BR to look like the Halo 3 version, but still work the same, then sure, I’m down. Otherwise, we don’t need any functional differences that unnecessarily bloat the sandbox.

Plus, loadout options need to be severely decreased compared to Halo 4, not expanded.

> I like the loadout concept but your ideas for it directly contradict what halo is about, and I’m not going to bother to try to convince you otherwise, because you won’t listen at all. Just know that changing a series is not the same as evolving it.
>
> <mark>I think cod is your game not halo</mark>.

Why does everyone think this?! Every person is entitled to their opinions!
He thinks these ideas are great so what? It doesn’t mean that he likes those games!
IMO this is impractical because of those small gameplay changes for no reasons.
Although as far as Aesthetics go this is great!
Honestly, some people need to respect that this is your opinion more often. Someone’s opinion doesn’t define them entirely.

> i really don’t see how you don’t like CoD or battlefield MM gameplay sammy as EVERY SINGLE SUGGESTION you’ve ever made for halo has come from these two games.
>
> i suggest playing them both for a solid period of time, then think of how these ideas may not work in halo based on what halo already is.

I like halo much better than cod or battlefield that’s all I know

I agree with Hotrod192 in that any variations of a weapon should be purely aesthetic.

Slight changes to a weapon’s performance throughout several variations would be time-consuming to balance to the effect where one isn’t superior to another variant AND doesn’t disrupt balance with any other starting weapon (any of its variants). Combine that with the fact that it would take up more data in the form of reload/melee animations, audio files, and 3D models, and it seems like a poor allocation of time and resources to make multiple individual weapons that function nearly identically, when these resources could have been used to include more varied weapons and/or more properly balance the existing sandbox.

I’d like weapon models to give players options that they can see in-game without causing any potential problems gameplay-wise. There would be no issues with allowing a player to choose either the H4 or Reach aesthetic for his/her Assault Rifle, or either the H3 or H4 model for his/her Battle Rifle. Add onto this by applying weapon skins and you can have ample visual variety without sacrificing balance and taking less time from developing other aspects of the game.

As for my beliefs on how to incorporate Personal Loadouts in a less random way, I’d like to see 343i redesign it based around the successful “BR/AR starts”, but allow their Covenant counterparts to be options as well.

Like this:
Choice of Precision Weapon- Battle Rifle or Covenant Carbine
Choice of Automatic Weapon- Assault Rifle or Storm Rifle
Frag Grenades only
Equipment/Armor Abilities placed on-map
No Tactical Packages/Support Upgrades

Sounds cool, but also sounds like a lot of feature for very little benefit. I can only imagine the network, coding and other considerations necessary to make each one behave uniquely. Unless we’re talking purely aesthetically, in which case, sure, why not. The weapon skins in Halo 4 were kinda neat, and they didn’t affect gameplay one bit.

> > I like the loadout concept but your ideas for it directly contradict what halo is about, and I’m not going to bother to try to convince you otherwise, because you won’t listen at all. Just know that changing a series is not the same as evolving it.
> >
> > I think cod is your game not halo.
>
> ehh. don’t really like cod.
>
> why would you say that? course ill listen, shoot.

I would rather not. You have thread upon thread explaining your ideas, and that’s fine, but almost everyone points out why they wouldn’t work or why they don’t make sense, yet you cling to them for as long as you can. Take one of your most recent post for example, on the state of competitive halo, in which you say it’s been getting more popular with every game, when in FACT the opposite has been happening since reach, now don’t get me wrong I like reach, but it was not a competitive game, at least not like halo 2 and 3. Before that you posted a thread saying how halo 4 is the most competitive. Again almost everyone proved you wrong because it was a matter of fact not opinion.

So now here we are again, with you suggesting ideals that fly in the face of what halo is and bring it closer to call of duty. And that is another thing, how can you not like cod, when all of the things you want in halo are taken from those games?