Utility vs lethality weapon sandbox

With the release of Infinite I hope the weapon sandbox reverts back to more of a utility favoured one. In the current sandbox, (halo 5), far too many weapons are more effective at killing outside of intended ranges.

Meaning more cross over of weapon types and less unique applications of weapons. This also has an effect on single player engagements. Less incentive to weapon swap, makes encounters more brain dead.

Eg. The assault rifle in campaign, historically is used for suppression, to mow down trash mobs, and pepper mid rank elites (close to low mid range). But with its increased range (smart scope) and consistent damage, it nullifies the need to consider weapon choices as much and also means enemy encounters have to change to account for this (and not good changes either).

I still think Halo 1 was quite strong in this regard, but all Bungie games, seemed to apply this utility sandbox. As this game will be a ‘spiritual successor’ hope it’s reflected in this regard too.

In the Infinite sandbox there’s a lot of conversations about removal of sprint and armor/spartan abilities. Although that convo is worth having, this is also a big factor that will have big repurcussions too.

> 2533274801176657;1:
> With the release of Infinite I hope the weapon sandbox reverts back to more of a utility favoured one. In the current sandbox, (halo 5), far too many weapons are more effective at killing outside of intended ranges.
>
> Meaning more cross over of weapon types and less unique applications of weapons. This also has an effect on single player engagements. Less incentive to weapon swap, makes encounters more brain dead.
>
> Eg. The assault rifle in campaign, historically is used for suppression, to mow down trash mobs, and pepper mid rank elites (close to low mid range). But with its increased range (smart scope) and consistent damage, it nullifies the need to consider weapon choices as much and also means enemy encounters have to change to account for this (and not good changes either).
>
> I still think Halo 1 was quite strong in this regard, but all Bungie games, seemed to apply this utility sandbox. As this game will be a ‘spiritual successor’ hope it’s reflected in this regard too.
>
> In the Infinite sandbox there’s a lot of conversations about removal of sprint and armor/spartan abilities. Although that convo is worth having, this is also a big factor that will have big repurcussions too.

Remove the spartan Charge is a must idea for Halo
and for MP weapon to take it on the map ramaing
Rocket :rocket: and Sword :crossed_swords:

Double down on utility beyond killing power and give us a sandbox with real variety and interesting combos with weapon attributes. Eg Rocket jumps ect. Bring back momentum based melee and already the game sounds uber cool.

343’s problem is that they don’t want you to get stuck with a weapon that’s useless in the situation, example, a plasma pistol is good at killing elites, but EVERY gun is good at killing elites. In Halo:CE, if you were using a sniper rifle against the flood, you had a problem. Bring back balance to the force(not the Vader way), make sure that every gun has pro’s and cons.

I don’t really think too many weapons are getting killed outside their “intended” ranges, more that there are too many weapons that have almost identical roles all tripping over each other.

Not including DLC weapons we already have 5 versatile precision weapons, 4 bullet hoses, 3 tracking weapons, 2 shotguns, and 2 pallet swap sniper rifles. A large chunk of the sandbox needs a serious overhaul to make weapon choice have some meaning beyond grabbing whatever happens to have the best stats among multiple near identical weapons.

CE is a great example because there is no overlap within the sandbox. That being said its not like we have to have a small sandbox to achieve that, between the various Halo games and even some of the req weapons we can build a sandbox that isn’t full of so many clones. We just have to make good choices regarding which weapons we keep and which ones we cut/replace.

> 2533274819446242;5:
> I don’t really think too many weapons are getting killed outside their “intended” ranges, more that there are too many weapons that have almost identical roles all tripping over each other.
>
> Not including DLC weapons we already have 5 versatile precision weapons, 4 bullet hoses, 3 tracking weapons, 2 shotguns, and 2 pallet swap sniper rifles. A large chunk of the sandbox needs a serious overhaul to make weapon choice have some meaning beyond grabbing whatever happens to have the best stats among multiple near identical weapons.
>
> CE is a great example because there is no overlap within the sandbox. That being said its not like we have to have a small sandbox to achieve that, between the various Halo games and even some of the req weapons we can build a sandbox that isn’t full of so many clones. We just have to make good choices regarding which weapons we keep and which ones we cut/replace.

I agree, and yeah that’s also what I meant by:

Meaning more cross over of weapon types and less unique applications of weapons

As you’re suggesting, it’s quality over quantity. On that subject the prometheon weapons need a major overhaul as they’re contributing to this problem.

Saying that, I don’t think smart scope on every automatic weapon helps here either.

I just hope they bring back the stun/slowdown on the Plasma rifle too.

I personally like having more weapon choices but at the same time if only a few weapons are actually practical when in multiplayer it seems redundant.

I’m the type of player who doesn’t mind sacrificing my k/d ratio in a gametype (other than Slayer) to try and use other weapons. I find it fun, challenging and self rewarding at times like, getting a kill with a plasma pistol.

However I would like it if more weapons had more unique perks to them to help out the balance and make more people choose this over that depending on the situation. For example Halo:CE plasma pistol and I think rifle too, would jolt/stun player movement.
That right there is a benefit because Covenant weapons can’t pick up extra ammo since they are battery based, so they should have some kind of perk/ ability to make that weapon see more game time.

In short, I like having options in a game, but I think most agree those options shouldn’t be useless.

I agree Infinite% with what the OP is saying. Hard yes.

> 2533274801176657;1:
> Eg. The assault rifle in campaign, historically is used for suppression, to mow down trash mobs, and pepper mid rank elites (close to low mid range). But with its increased range (smart scope) and consistent damage, it nullifies the need to consider weapon choices as much and also means enemy encounters have to change to account for this (and not good changes either).

CE was the only game that I used the Assault Rifle for suppression. In 3, ODST, and Reach I only used it if I had no other options. Those games focused too much on precision weapons to reward skill, which ironically made them unskilled weapons to use.

Here’s how I think some weapons should go.

• The Infinite AR should have a headshot multiplier, zoom (not smart-scope), and a biggish reticle. It should be effective at close-to-medium range. - The SMG should have the same things, but it should be more effective at close range and less effective at medium range. - The Storm Rifle should go. Replace it with a merge of the Plasma Repeater and the Plasma Rifle. Bring back the Plasma Rifle’s increased effectiveness against shields and decreased effectiveness against health, and give it the minor stun effect from CE. Also have it shoot slower and become more innaccurate the longer you hold the trigger. I would also like it to have the “mag size” of the P. Repeater, with it being able to be manually vented. - Replace the Beam Rifle with the Focus Rifle. Increase effectiveness towards vehicle weak points.I really don’t know how to balance the Promethean weapons. The Binary Rifle, Incineration Cannon, and Scattershot are fine, but the small arms aren’t fun to use or fun to fight against. Maybe something like this:
  • Suppressor no longer tracks, now fires projectiles from 1-4 barrels with extreme innaccuracy (Cerberus+1 from Destiny 2). - Boltshot no longer fires burst tracking shots, now it’s single shot with a charge up function. The charged shot could either fire a long range, high damage projectile or a close ranged shotgun blast. - Light Rifle replaced with the Sentinel Beam. - Splinter Grenades now are Gravity Grenades. Remove the long-lasting splinters for increased short area-denial abilities.

More weapons need little gimmicks like the light rifle and incineration cannon.

In fact as an example take a look at the light rifle, revert it back to H4 variant but instead of 3 round burst is just shoots three hard light rounds at once (remodel it to have 3 barrels). When you scope the barrel opens onto a singular one for a stronger and bigger shot and you charge the shot for a kinetic pulse on impact that knocks players and vehicles back.
Revert the boltshot back to the H4 version but buff the bass damage so it’s a little more viable and change the charge so damage is based on the ammo in the mag. Meaning you can’t kill if you charge it while only having 1 shot left but a full mag will.

Suppressor could be a cross between H4 and H5. While descoped (this is on the presumption that smart scope is remaining) it fires rapidly in medium high spread. While scoped the shots merge and become stronger and track at a slower fire rate