Useful Friendly AI?

Who else cares about this? I miss back in the day when the friendly AI could seriously hold their own even on higher difficulties and were useful for more than manning the gun on your warthog. I miss the day when you could give a marine sniper, rockets, or laser and they would wreck EVERYTHING, where as now they don’t seem to know what to do with them half the time.

Can the marines/odsts/spartan 4s be useful this time, please? And for the love of god PLEASE teach them how to drive in a manner that at the very least gives the appearance of intelligence.

hmm to be honest they have never been helpful just stupid, take a look at arbiter from H3.

when i was playing on that mission with the mammoth and you have target designate stuff on H4 legendary they were quite helpful they killed a lot of bad guys.

please explain with them actually being useful back in the days cuz i can not remember them being helpful.

He did explain.
Giving your marines various power weapons would make them super helpful.
I’d always give my marines my power weapons if I only had one or two shots left since they have unlimited ammo. They would always help quite a lot.

they would have been starring at a wall 80% of the time, i don’t think you quite remember how dumb they were. or miss 5 shots at a grunt then die…

I care, man, I care. All the friendly AI have ever been useful for is for either cannon fodder or bullet sponges. They never actually help the player in a legitimate way. Also, they suck at driving (stating the obvious here). I REALLY wanted to use the turret on the Warthog in Halo 3, but all the driver did was drive off a humongous cliff. I was hoping 343i would improve them in Halo 4…MAN they were horrible! I hope they can be tweaked for Halo 5.

> I care, man, I care. All the friendly AI have ever been useful for is for either cannon fodder or bullet sponges. They never actually help the player in a legitimate way. Also, they suck at driving (stating the obvious here). I REALLY wanted to use the turret on the Warthog in Halo 3, but all the driver did was drive off a humongous cliff. I was hoping 343i would improve them in Halo 4…MAN they were horrible! I hope they can be tweaked for Halo 5.

LOL, thought they were supposed to only drive me off the cliff… those trolls.

I don’t know, they’ve always been incapable for me. I don’t care how advanced NPC AI get in the future, I’ll never let them take the wheel. And if you do, you are totally responsible for the nightmarish disaster that will ensue.

> hmm to be honest they have never been helpful just stupid, take a look at arbiter from H3.
>
> when i was playing on that mission with the mammoth and you have target designate stuff on H4 legendary they were quite helpful they killed a lot of bad guys.
>
>
> please explain with them actually being useful back in the days cuz i can not remember them being helpful.

Fair Enough. It’s true that I never would have called them brilliant… Halo CE marries were VERY trigger happy though, even with a sniper.

Having the marries be as smart or smarter than the enemy AI would be a good start. I’ve noticed a number of times in halo 4 where a marine would have a power weapon and just dodge around a bunch of times without firing even once. I would consider a marine who killed enemies by suiciding with a rocket to be more useful than a marine who wont even fire.

Making Marines better at Fighting can’t be that hard, based on the AI I’ve seen, but i imagine that coding the AI to drive better will take a little more effort
:expressionless:

Marines with power weapons were quite useful in Halo 2, 3, ODST, and Reach. A marine in a vehicle’s passenger seat with a power weapon could prove useful on Legendary - even with skulls on.

For some reason I think they don’t want to smart up the friendly AI too much or the player will have less things to do, and will then feel less important.

Then again, looking at the enemy AI, I can’t shake the feeling that it’s AI isn’t getting much update at all.

So either they’re not capable of making a really smart AI or they’re not just bothering that much with it.

But I’d really like smarter friendlies, as well as enemies.

> > I care, man, I care. All the friendly AI have ever been useful for is for either cannon fodder or bullet sponges. They never actually help the player in a legitimate way. Also, they suck at driving (stating the obvious here). I REALLY wanted to use the turret on the Warthog in Halo 3, but all the driver did was drive off a humongous cliff. I was hoping 343i would improve them in Halo 4…MAN they were horrible! I hope they can be tweaked for Halo 5.
>
> LOL, thought they were supposed to only drive me off the cliff… those trolls.

Kat, now that’s some superior driving skills right there.

She put every marine behind the wheel to shame, in the killing the warthog department.

I prefer to think of the friendly AI as damsels in distress.

I just wish there was an option to tell them to “STOP! Turn around, go back to the Pelican, head on home and have a drink on me. I’ve got this, no need for you to get your face melted/disintegrated/mutated.” Or a the very least a “stay here button”. Seeing those guys die for nothing breaks my heart every time.

Getting extra points for keeping them alive would be nice too.

Back in Halo 2, I recall making my friendly AI useful by giving my grunts/jackals brute plasma rifles and the elites 'bruteshots.

Hehe, that was fun.
Can’t wait for H2A.

As someone pointed out, friendly A.I are made dumber so as to not make the game to easy (and thus boring) for the player. My opinion however is to instead make the friendly A.I as smart as the enemy A.I, but reduce the damage they do.

Halo 4 the AI were useless mainly because they were never put into a position where they could help.

One good moment of AI helping is when your first run into Marines on Halo 4 and they can sometimes hold the line without your help on Heroic but most certainly not on Legendary.

An example of Halo 4 AI being terrible is when you save a Spartan team at Ragnarok. At first contact they are immortal but the rest of the mission they are useless. Even when given power weapons most of the time they die.

During that battle i once saw two of the spartan IV’s fall to a single Jackal.

I think it is fair to assume marines on Legendary won’t be making many highlights,

(insert link of Halo 2 marine beating a Hunter to death.)

Really if anybody finds that video link it. It was a normal, but still i didn’t even know Halo 2 Hunters could even be killed by melees.

Allies have uses just normally not with their weapons. Give a marine a Carbine and they will go HAM. Give an elite a BR and i’ll make it an AR that can get headshots.

> He did explain.
> Giving your marines various power weapons would make them super helpful.
> I’d always give my marines my power weapons if I only had one or two shots left since they have unlimited ammo. They would always help quite a lot.

That’s EXACTLY what I always do in Halo 2! Since allies never run out of ammo, I’ll use all but one round with my sniper rifle, shotgun or rocket launcher then give the weapon to an ally. That’s when they become very useful.

Another place in Halo 2 where allied AI was actually useful was the Arbiter mission where you’re riding on a gondola. Once every allied Elite is equipped with an energy sword, beating back the Flood becomes incredibly easy.

> Kat, now that’s some superior driving skills right there.
>
> She put every marine behind the wheel to shame, in the killing the warthog department.

I always thought the marines were terrible drivers until I met Kat…wow, just wow. Someone at Bungie was intentionally making a rather cheeky statement about their opinion of women drivers there, I think.

While it would be nice to see the friendly AI get an upgrade for combat while on foot, their ability to operate vehicles is what I really want to see upgraded most; letting the marines drive is pretty much instant death (“Hey look, a cliff! GERONIMO!!!”) and while they usually do decent on the guns, they tend to get stupid there, too (“So, hey, there’s a couple of Wraiths shooting at us…but there’s a dead grunt over here… I really think I should shoot the grunt a few more times just to make sure he’s dead.”).

The friendly AI doesn’t need to carry us, but it’d be nice if they didn’t exactly drag us down, either.

It would be great if we could finally give them orders or quick commands, like you AR marine get in the back of the hog, you rocket guy sit shotgun!

AI Spartans should also use random AA’s like Regen or Decoy, even bring back drop shield.

> AI Spartans should also use random AA’s like Regen or Decoy, even bring back drop shield.

Actually, you know what I think would be awesome? Set up coop to be more canonically accurate by having other players replace friendly AI. In missions where you’re playing with UNSC Marines or ODSTs, any other players you invite into co-op will replace individual units, playing as those characters. If a player replaces a Marine, they’ll play like H3:ODST (less powerful melee and jumps, slower speed and no shield mechanic). If a player replaces an AI Spartan, they’ll actually enter the campaign replacing the stock AI with their customized S-IV from War Games (or its H5G equivalent). If friendly Elites are featured, players can have customized Elite models for co-op exclusively, since 343 apparently doesn’t plan to include Elites in competitive play.
This would fix many issues with poor allied AI, and provide canonical grounding for co-op. Imagine Marines alongside you actually capable of shooting and driving! That way the whole campaign will feel more grounded and realistic.